JAGS v fake jags..

Jimmy McD

11 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Feels like a big boot in the haw-maws given the scores going into injury time, however it's probably a set of results we would have accepted prior to kick-off.

No ground lost after a difficult away fixture - and both Arbroath and Kilmarnock failed to win at home.

Yes would have been happy with this before kick off, but to score 3 and not win is a big missed opportunity … could have been 1 behind Killie and 6 behind Abroath with 2 games in hand 

Edited by JAG1970

2 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Mc Call should have changed that midfield. And with the likes of Turner stuck on the bench, he could have changed the game. Clueless. 

Maybe. But the defence cost us that game. Harsh but true. Nb Turner clearly not playing as the manager not confident about him. 

34 minutes ago, sandy said:

But why? Great at set pieces, strong going through the middle.

Completely agree Sandy.  When Turner takes set pieces we look a real threat.  In comparison when Smith takes the corners or Bannigan the free kicks very little comes of it.

I really don’t understand why Smith starts games before Turner

• Like 2

Ignoring Doolan's 4 against Hamilton on 21/1/15 (not an easy thing to ignore!), Graham's hat-trick is the first actual hat-trick in 409 matches. There have only been 6 hat-tricks this century:- 

Lindau v Stirling Albion 31/3/01

Burns v Kilmarnock 30/11/02

Roberts v Hamilton 18/11/07

Cairney v Dundee 21/4/12

Craig v Dunfermline 2/3/13

Graham v Inverness CT 9/2/22 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Completely agree Sandy.  When Turner takes set pieces we look a real threat.  In comparison when Smith takes the corners or Bannigan the free kicks very little comes of it.

I really don’t understand why Smith starts games before Turner

Agree with this. Turner could well be the best player we will ever sign and who can't get a game. He is head and shoulders a better player than Smith. But Managers see the game differently!

I recall many years ago when Sunderland were going through a bad patch  yet according to their fans they had a decent team. The problem losing too many goals, the cause a poor centre half. They also had a really hapless centre forward. To the fans the solution was obvious drop the CH and move the CF to this position.

The club sacked the manager, brought back Bob Stokoe and the first thing he did was the above.  The club survived in the old English First Division and the hapless CF now a CH went on to play for England .... as a CH!

Sometimes the fans know!!

• Like 2

Both Smith and Turner have been largely ineffective all season. Apart from a decent cameo against Raith Rovers struggling to think of a game in which Turner has had much effect. What I very clearly remember was watching our last defeat against Arbroath and thinking he was head and shoulders the worst player on the park. It doesn't particularly surprise me he hasn't featured much since. 

It's frustrating because he clearly has ability and his set pieces are an asset. 

30 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Agree with this. Turner could well be the best player we will ever sign and who can't get a game. He is head and shoulders a better player than Smith. But Managers see the game differently!

I recall many years ago when Sunderland were going through a bad patch  yet according to their fans they had a decent team. The problem losing too many goals, the cause a poor centre half. They also had a really hapless centre forward. To the fans the solution was obvious drop the CH and move the CF to this position.

The club sacked the manager, brought back Bob Stokoe and the first thing he did was the above.  The club survived in the old English First Division and the hapless CF now a CH went on to play for England .... as a CH!

Sometimes the fans know!!

Just checked. The hapless striker *** England CH was Dave Watson!

Sunderland were in the old English second division at the time. Watson's move to CH coincided with Sunderland winning the FA Cup beating Leed 1-0 (Ian Porterfield  scoring the goal).

28 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Both Smith and Turner have been largely ineffective all season. Apart from a decent cameo against Raith Rovers struggling to think of a game in which Turner has had much effect. What I very clearly remember was watching our last defeat against Arbroath and thinking he was head and shoulders the worst player on the park. It doesn't particularly surprise me he hasn't featured much since. 

It's frustrating because he clearly has ability and his set pieces are an asset. 

Turner has not been ineffective at all - it was his set pieces and assists against the likes of Dunfermline that got us the points.  Hence why he was nominated as player of the month 

I was delighted when Smith signed but agree that he has been very ineffectual and has been IMO underwhelming 

Assists aside Turner has turned in some reasonable performances. I'd suggest that Smith (maybe Crawford as well) are thought better than Turner at  covering the wide right position.

If McAllister nails down the right flank gig it'll be interesting to see who's chosen to play the advanced centre mid position(s). Depending on format we'd have Smith, Crawford, Turner, Jakubiak & McIver competing for two starting positions. Possibly two from Smith, Crawford & Turner when Graham starts? Or one from that trio if Graham's rested and we go two upfront with Jakubiak & McIver starting?

I think if McAllister can properly fill a wide position it makes it more viable to play Turner.

To my mind Turner is not a natural wide midfielder or a defensive midfielder. If you have Docherty and Crawford behind Turner you could play a 4-2-3-1 or a proper 4-3-3 which may suit Turner better.

However right now on current form and current formation its hard to see how Turner is better than Docherty, Crawford or Bannigan.

I thought last night we missed not having Foster's experience in the closing minutes. Slightly concerned that McCall wants to recruit another defender. We have a decent amount of cover at centre half and left back. However if Foster is going to be out for a while then we are a bit light at right back. Foster would be a big miss, anyone know what his injury situation is?

7 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

Ignoring Doolan's 4 against Hamilton on 21/1/15 (not an easy thing to ignore!), Graham's hat-trick is the first actual hat-trick in 409 matches. There have only been 6 hat-tricks this century:- 

Lindau v Stirling Albion 31/3/01

Burns v Kilmarnock 30/11/02

Roberts v Hamilton 18/11/07

Cairney v Dundee 21/4/12

Craig v Dunfermline 2/3/13

Graham v Inverness CT 9/2/22 

So Dolan never scored a hattrick !

Big shout out to all the away support at Inverness last night. Gave great backing to the team throughout the game and drowned out whatever noise there might have been from a miserable home support. Good to have some new songs to sing as well!

As for the game, Tiffony unplayable and Graham inspirational. Goals conceded disappointing. However, if you are going on a long journey on a cold winter midweek night, 3-3 is a lot more fun and memorable than 0-0.  

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Big shout out to all the away support at Inverness last night. Gave great backing to the team throughout the game and drowned out whatever noise there might have been from a miserable home support. Good to have some new songs to sing as well!

As for the game, Tiffony unplayable and Graham inspirational. Goals conceded disappointing. However, if you are going on a long journey on a cold winter midweek night, 3-3 is a lot more fun and memorable than 0-0.  

Thanks for the shout out ..3 hours to get to Inverness ,  and 4  hours to get  back from Robroyston ...Horrendous drive back...Made all the longer by there 94 equalizer............ 

34 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Don't think it's a hat-trick. Also the guy who conceded the penalty was already on a yellow. Looks like he should have got a second to me

100% second yellow.  No attempt to play the ball.  Still I’m sure these decisions against us will even out over the decades.