Thistle v Dundee Utd

javeajag

Hard to find a player in a Thistle Jersey who didn't have a good game. Thought Crawford was excellent and Hendrie at left back was very good.

Tiffoney is a real talent and I just hope we can hold onto him next season. Amazed that no-one came in for him in January.

The quality of football and the way we passed the ball about was really nice to watch. Doing that on a such an attrocious surface only makes you wonder what we could do on a good home pitch. The difference in quality of play and level of entertainment since McCall came back is night and day.

Whilst Jukubiak was good and MacIver won his headers when he came on we are really missing a striker when Graham isn't on the park. We could really do with signing a another striker.

We dominated the game for large periods and but for the lack of cutting edge up front and a bit more luck we would have taken it into extra time at least. No failures today but as others have already mentioned Crawford and Tiffoney were standouts and lets not forget Dundee Utd are 4th in the premier league. If we can keep this sort of performance going in the league we should get a top 4 place. Who will win the Scottish cup now, who cares. :fan:

Disappointing that our pathetic Cup record of the past 40 years continues...but encouraging that we were comfortably the better team. It was an opportunity to finally knock Dundee United out of a Cup...they looked bang average and no better than some of the teams we have played this season - I was astonished to see that they are 4th in the Premier.  We just lacked sharpness in the penalty box or the right break of the ball on one of the numerous mad scrambles in front of goal.

We passed the ball about quite well and had some good performances all round though Hendrie wasn't that impressive but I suppose he is our 3rd choice left back; Crawford worked hard but is not the solution wide right - they were both at fault for the goal.  I am a big fan of Banzo but he hasn't been that influential the last three times I have seen him - I don't think our mudheap pitch plays to his strengths; On the positives, Mayo looks like the exception to a long line of rank Old Firm loanees; and something always looks like it might happen when Tiff gets the ball.

1 hour ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Played our socks off today and deserved a bit more from game but never really got the run of the Green ….or more precisely the nudge of the rut !.

Oh deer! Let’s hope ourselves & QP can Stag-ger our games over the next few weeks to let the pitch improve 

Edited by sandy

1 hour ago, Winter of '63 said:

Disappointing that our pathetic Cup record of the past 40 years continues...but encouraging that we were comfortably the better team. It was an opportunity to finally knock Dundee United out of a Cup...they looked bang average and no better than some of the teams we have played this season - I was astonished to see that they are 4th in the Premier.  We just lacked sharpness in the penalty box or the right break of the ball on one of the numerous mad scrambles in front of goal.

We passed the ball about quite well and had some good performances all round though Hendrie wasn't that impressive but I suppose he is our 3rd choice left back; Crawford worked hard but is not the solution wide right - they were both at fault for the goal.  I am a big fan of Banzo but he hasn't been that influential the last three times I have seen him - I don't think our mudheap pitch plays to his strengths; On the positives, Mayo looks like the exception to a long line of rank Old Firm loanees; and something always looks like it might happen when Tiff gets the ball.

Our midfield totally dominated their midfield  so a  major positive . Hendrie I thought played well. Lots of positives today bar lack of cutting edge. 

My son won a half time draw last year and got to go to a meet the manager night. Was last Thursday night.

I was working late so  my misses took him, one of the stand out things  McCall mentioned was After one of our recent home games .. All the players were getting changed and Banzo sort of just sat about still kitted up looking a bit miserable.

McCall noticed it and asked if everything was okay and he basically turned round and said he feels like the pitch is really affecting his game. Nice to here such honesty from him because as it stands it could be the difference between us going up or not.

I can see how the pitch being shit would affect Bannigan the way he can pick out passes etc. So hopefully bringing in these people to try and sort it out will help.

We looked better without Akinola today also just my opinion he has struggled the last week or 2.

Edited by Thistle88
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thistle88 said:

My son won a half time draw last year and got to go to a meet the manager night. Was last Thursday night.

I was working late so  my misses took him, one of the stand out things  McCall mentioned was After one of our recent home games .. All the players were getting changed and Banzo sort of just sat about still kitted up looking a bit miserable.

McCall noticed it and asked if everything was okay and he basically turned round and said he feels like the pitch is really affecting his game. Nice to here such honesty from him because as it stands it could be the difference between us going up or not.

I can see how the pitch being shit would affect Bannigan the way he can pick out passes etc. So hopefully bringing in these people to try and sort it out will help.

We looked better without Akinola today also just my opinion he has struggled the last week or 2.

Agreed, I thought Mayo & Holt looked solid. We were seldom troubled and the goal was an unfortunate miss-kick followed by a great finish.

btw, Beaton was decent today. I’m not a fan of him normally but I thought he handled the game well. Better than the last 3 we’ve had at Firhill

The following are almost inevitable:

1) The two erse cheeks will somehow or other beat us every single time we play them. Sometimes it might be close, sometimes it might be a right doing, and the "somehow or other" implies that sometimes there are other forces that the quality of the football. But, the outcome is almost inevitable.

2) In "crunch" matches, Hearts and Dundee Utd will beat us. Sure, we might win "the odd" league matches against them, but in particularly "noteworthy" games, like the Cup (especially Hearts) or relegation (DU), they will beat us in the end.

I almost added Dunfermline when it comes to the Cup.

Might as well accept it.

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

The following are almost inevitable:

1) The two erse cheeks will somehow or other beat us every single time we play them. Sometimes it might be close, sometimes it might be a right doing, and the "somehow or other" implies that sometimes there are other forces that the quality of the football. But, the outcome is almost inevitable.

2) In "crunch" matches, Hearts and Dundee Utd will beat us. Sure, we might win "the odd" league matches against them, but in particularly "noteworthy" games, like the Cup (especially Hearts) or relegation (DU), they will beat us in the end.

I almost added Dunfermline when it comes to the Cup.

Might as well accept it.

The comments about being beaten by the OF could apply to just about any team in Scotland.  Granted some teams have a little purple patch against the OF, eg Kilmarnock  perhaps one ot two others but its hardly sustainable. I agree we do seem to have a problem with Dundee Utd but they are another club that have been living way beyond their means - Shankland was an example of that - while we live within our means (not helped by the SPFL).

Didn't we just knock Dunfermline out of the cup!

I get what you are saying but I believe with a decent manager who has an eye for a player there isn't a team in Scotland we can't beat on our day with the possible exception of the OF who are light years ahead of us. We do though need to get back to the stage where they know they have been in a game when they play us. We will know that when the referees award 10 minutes additional time, red card one of out players, give clearly offside goals  or penalties for dubious hand balls and not do the same for the above at the other end of the park.

Come on be a bit more positive. I know we are still work in progress  but we are much better than we were in the (later) Archibald or Caldwell days. God that was suffering!

8 hours ago, jaggy said:

Beaton was decent today. I’m not a fan of him normally but I thought he handled the game well. Better than the last 3 we’ve had at Firhill

He can be an annoying clown of a referee, usually wanting to get his actions into the limelight. Gotta agree, he reffed the game well. 

• Like 1

It's funny how clubs have a bogey team. In cup competitions DUFC are clearly ours. Since 1977 our record against them in the Scottish  and League Cups is absolutely terrible. It's Aug 1975 since we beat them in any cup competition. Yesterday was the 15th attempt. Being drawn against them in 3 successive seasons in the LC (87, 88 and 89) was hard to take.

1977     0-1   Round 2 LC

1981    0-2   Section LC

1981    1-2   Section LC

1981    0-1   3rd round SC

1987    1-4   2nd round LC

1988    0-2   2nd round LC

1989    0-1   1st round LC

1990    1-3   4th round LC

2010    0-2   4th round SC

2013    1-4   3rd round LC

2016    1-3   1st round LC

2016    0-1  5th round SC

2021    1-2  3rd round SC

2022    0-1  5th round SC

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

The comments about being beaten by the OF could apply to just about any team in Scotland.  Granted some teams have a little purple patch against the OF, eg Kilmarnock  perhaps one ot two others but its hardly sustainable. I agree we do seem to have a problem with Dundee Utd but they are another club that have been living way beyond their means - Shankland was an example of that - while we live within our means (not helped by the SPFL).

Didn't we just knock Dunfermline out of the cup!

I get what you are saying but I believe with a decent manager who has an eye for a player there isn't a team in Scotland we can't beat on our day with the possible exception of the OF who are light years ahead of us. We do though need to get back to the stage where they know they have been in a game when they play us. We will know that when the referees award 10 minutes additional time, red card one of out players, give clearly offside goals  or penalties for dubious hand balls and not do the same for the above at the other end of the park.

Come on be a bit more positive. I know we are still work in progress  but we are much better than we were in the (later) Archibald or Caldwell days. God that was suffering!

I agree. If only we had a decent manager with an eye for a player.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

He does actually seem to find decent players. But I do wonder if he actually knows what to do with them.

Drivel. We have just outplayed the alleged 4th best team in Scotland. We have a decent team so obviously he does know what he is doing. 

15 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

He does actually seem to find decent players. But I do wonder if he actually knows what to do with them.

Eh……just when it looks like the worst outcome this season will be we are in the playoffs and we still have a chance of winning the league ! How many times earlier this season did you say we will be lucky to stay up or mud table at best ?

mccall has done a great job 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

For me, given where we are at this moment as a club alongside our current league status, we're very much quid's in re McCall. His signings in general and man management appear to be well in the credit side. I sense he's not exceeding his budget as well. In terms of putting out a team with a balanced formation and an ability to change tactics, make telling substitutions he's possibly somewhat stuck in the debit side,  Ironically if Tiffoney wasn't so important to our relative success on the field, McCall would've been able to address the balanced formation issue to a degree. 

When we go up a division I'd rather see McCall continue with the general management of the football side of things but leave the game time management & technical coaching to someone else. That's not a pipe dream as there's probably little shortage of skilled coaches out there. Most will be failed managers, but many failed thru their poor man management and/or poor signings. Their technical abilities remain.