Thistle v Dundee Utd

javeajag

Looking at the efl highlights show and the Vanarama highlights we must have the worst pitch in the U.K. by a huge margin. It looked appalling. There’s no doubt it is affecting us. Some of the stuff played yesterday was very decent and it makes you wonder what we could be like on a proper surface. And as has been pointed out it ain’t going to improve any time soon

21 minutes ago, Kingleo said:

Looking at the efl highlights show and the Vanarama highlights we must have the worst pitch in the U.K. by a huge margin. It looked appalling. There’s no doubt it is affecting us. Some of the stuff played yesterday was very decent and it makes you wonder what we could be like on a proper surface. And as has been pointed out it ain’t going to improve any time soon

But.... our  Chief Executive assured us that Queen's sharing it wouldn't cause any issues!

3 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

It's funny how clubs have a bogey team. In cup competitions DUFC are clearly ours. Since 1977 our record against them in the Scottish  and League Cups is absolutely terrible. It's Aug 1975 since we beat them in any cup competition. Yesterday was the 15th attempt. Being drawn against them in 3 successive seasons in the LC (87, 88 and 89) was hard to take.

1977     0-1   Round 2 LC

1981    0-2   Section LC

1981    1-2   Section LC

1981    0-1   3rd round SC

1987    1-4   2nd round LC

1988    0-2   2nd round LC

1989    0-1   1st round LC

1990    1-3   4th round LC

2010    0-2   4th round SC

2013    1-4   3rd round LC

2016    1-3   1st round LC

2016    0-1  5th round SC

2021    1-2  3rd round SC

2022    0-1  5th round SC

Jeezus, that makes me feel sick. And that's without the two relegations that they dished out to us.

Hate them!

QP ground-sharing with us can surely only be partly to blame for the state of the pitch. Didn't seem to be much wrong when it was used by sevco colts regularly a couple of seasons ago. Others I'm fairly sure have also used Firhill as a home base in recent years. No doubt having a second club using it has either made it worse or has caused it to deteriorate all the quicker. Does anybody believe if QP hadn't been ground-sharing with us the pitch would've been in an above satisfactory condition?

3 hours ago, javeajag said:

Eh……just when it looks like the worst outcome this season will be we are in the playoffs and we still have a chance of winning the league ! How many times earlier this season did you say we will be lucky to stay up or mud table at best ?

mccall has done a great job 

We skoosh that one no contest given the nick of our pitch.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

QP ground-sharing with us can surely only be partly to blame for the state of the pitch. Didn't seem to be much wrong when it was used by sevco colts regularly a couple of seasons ago. Others I'm fairly sure have also used Firhill as a home base in recent years. No doubt having a second club using it has either made it worse or has caused it to deteriorate all the quicker. Does anybody believe if QP hadn't been ground-sharing with us the pitch would've been in an above satisfactory condition?

I was thinking the same.  I can’t believe that the extra games are taking that much of a toll on the pitch.

On 2/13/2022 at 3:22 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Edited by AirdrieJag
Innacurate ?
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

There is challenging and there there is wishing someone to be without oxygen for 30 minutes!! You are a moron

Lmao from the person who has posted huge numbers of moronic posts. Look in the mirror, give yourself a shake and say to yourself...." I must do better ". 

19 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Lmao from the person who has posted huge numbers of moronic posts. Look in the mirror, give yourself a shake and say to yourself...." I must do better ". 

Oh dear! Someone so blind that when he looks in the mirror himself he can't see the word" moron: flashing on his forehead. Very sad human being indeed.

9 minutes ago, AirdrieJag said:

I was wondering that myself.   I suspect the answer is 'not long' if the QP game on Tuesday is postponed because of waterlogged pitch.  

I don't see QP having a game this midweek on their website or the BBC. Looks like they are away on Saturday as well so should be no game at Firhill until a week on Tuesday.

5 hours ago, AirdrieJag said:

The problem with the pitch goes beyond the groundshare, although the amount of use it is getting isn't helping.   

It will only be sorted when we can dig it up and remove the organic material that is currently preventing it from draining.   

I think the best we can hope for this season is that we get a dry spell that allows it to dry out, and allows the grass to germinate.  That would hopefully give us a playable surface for the run in. 

Thanks for that info. :thumbsup2:

As for the dry spell, we can only hope. I'm guessing but the authorities might ignore our pitch given it's still winter but any more cancellations meantime or no improvement in say a months time and it could be a different story.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Thanks for that info. :thumbsup2:

As for the dry spell, we can only hope. I'm guessing but the authorities might ignore our pitch given it's still winter but any more cancellations meantime or no improvement in say a months time and it could be a different story.

Here’s an outrageous thought.  Would our (former) friends at Glasgow Warriors allow us the use of Scotstoun for a few games?

The surface there is superb and Banzo and our world class midfield could pass the ball around like Barcelona at their best.

3 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I don't see QP having a game this midweek on their website or the BBC. Looks like they are away on Saturday as well so should be no game at Firhill until a week on Tuesday.

You're right.  I thought QP were playing on Tuesday, but they're not.  If we get 10 days of dry weather before we play Morton, we might get away with it for a few weeks more, but, unless we get lucky with the weather in the next 4 weeks, I suspect questions will be asked of us. 

10 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Here’s an outrageous thought.  Would our (former) friends at Glasgow Warriors allow us the use of Scotstoun for a few games?

The surface there is superb and Banzo and our world class midfield could pass the ball around like Barcelona at their best.

I don't think that it is an outrageous thought it's a great shout..I had thought of playing at Broadwood if needed..

11 hours ago, AirdrieJag said:

You're right.  I thought QP were playing on Tuesday, but they're not.  If we get 10 days of dry weather before we play Morton, we might get away with it for a few weeks more, but, unless we get lucky with the weather in the next 4 weeks, I suspect questions will be asked of us. 

According to the BBC website it’s to rain every day for the next fortnight. Having said that if their weather forecasts are as accurate as their football coverage we should be fine!