Thistle v Morton

javeajag

1 minute ago, Thistle88 said:

McCall said we were close to signing a striker on a permanent deal a few weeks ago. And nothing has been mentioned again I genuinely think he was talking about Griffiths. 

There’s a week left of February loan market now and I don’t really see who we could get to make much of a difference. Maciver still seems like the biggest waste of a  signing we have made, I just don’t see the point in him being here.

Most teams have 2 or 3 goal scoring strikers , after Zak Rudden left on a loan deal !!  we’re left with one in Brian Graham.

There wasn’t any of the subs coming on the park tonight who I thought would have any impact on the game which is worrying .

Not sure if McCall has been spouting nonsense about signings but time is running out .

4 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Most teams have 2 or 3 goal scoring strikers , after Zak Rudden left on a loan deal !!  we’re left with one in Brian Graham.

There wasn’t any of the subs coming on the park tonight who I thought would have any impact on the game which is worrying .

Not sure if McCall has been spouting nonsense about signings but time is running out .

100% said he was close to signing a striker on a perm deal 2 days before griffiths went to Falkirk.. and a goalkeeper from hibs but Shaun maloney was ignoring his phone calls. So the hibs keeper never came either lol.

Oh he also said Rudden going to Dundee was for personal reasons to Rudden and that they would never be made public.

Edited by Thistle88

When I saw Morton bringing on three subs it looked clear that they thought they could win this.

We've too many lightweight forwards who don't score goals, even when chances are offered to them on a plate. Invisible men, even at this level.

The livestream commentator got it right at one point: overpassing in the middle of the field. Side to side, backwards, side to side, for absolutely no reason except that there's another player there. All it does is allow a well drilled defence to double up and snuff out the inevitable punt/cross/attempt at a through ball when it eventually comes.

I like McKenna, but he was definitely the main culprit when it came to basically ending our attacks, by his instinctual need to stop running, check back, and pass the ball back. Brutal to watch, especially when we need goals, not possession.

Credit to an average Morton side who defended, offered nothing, took just about their only chance. Let's be honest, if we do the same on Saturday people will be pleased at getting the points.

For me the first half was brutal. We had plenty of the ball but we didn't do anything with it. Second half we were much better, but again we never really looked like scoring even when we get the best possible chance via the spot. Even with our games in hand playing like we did tonight, toothless we could miss out on top 4. Vast improvement upfront is required, but like others have said apart from Graham i don't see where the goals will come from.

14 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

100% said he was close to signing a striker on a perm deal 2 days before griffiths went to Falkirk.. and a goalkeeper from hibs but Shaun maloney was ignoring his phone calls. So the hibs keeper never came either lol.

Oh he also said Rudden going to Dundee was for personal reasons to Rudden and that they would never be made public.

The Rudden deal is one of the most ridiculous I’ve heard of in all my years of following PTFC , of course Zak had signed a pre contract with Dundee but he was still our player for the next 6 months and with no other replacement on the horizon and trying to get promotion he should have completed his contract with us .

Instead we loan Zak Rudden to Dundee as they were unwilling to pay the 100k transfer fee .

You couldn’t make it up .

44 minutes ago, laukat said:

The last loan really needs to be a penalty box striker or a striker with real pace otherwise we will see lots of games were we play really well but get caught with a sucker punch.

Absolutely..  I think that’s 9 goals scored in our last 9 league games. We’ve been too reliant on the defence for points. Hardly promotion chasing stats. 

I've passed comment before on the poor quality of this league this season. Confirmed tonight. That was a hard watch on a cold night. Morton were abysmal, and for all our possession we squandered our few good chances. The pitch is a disgrace,but I'm heading home on Friday so for the next month it's plastic for me.(yes I know, you hate it)

The two glaring concerns this season have been the total absence of a cutting edge apart from Tiffony and the extent we would be hampered by the state of the pitch. Tonight confirmed these concerns. Morton had improved a little from the truly awful side we beat comfortably earlier in  the season but were still a poor outfit. The scrambled goal they scored was very much in character as they didn't look remotely likely of crafting a decent chance.

McKenna is a decent defender and a willing runner but doesn't carry any threat...he isn't helped by the slow passing and lack of support on the right wing. Crawford did very little; Smith had his usual occasional good touches but again pretty ineffective; Jakubniak held up the ball quite well but isn't a goalscorer; none of the subs impressed - McAllister was disappointing and Turner looked like he was playing in roller skates.

I had no great confidence in Graham's just smash it penalty technique. I thought we might have ground out another 1-0 victory but we fell away after that miss. 

Banzo at least tried to open up their defence but isn't helped by the poor surface and the lack of options in front of him.

Maybe we are being too harsh on the players for failing to play good quality football on a mudheap but we are nowhere near the standard of our last promotion-winning side...and I would still be disappointed if we couldn't make a play-off spot.

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

The Rudden deal is one of the most ridiculous I’ve heard of in all my years of following PTFC , of course Zak had signed a pre contract with Dundee but he was still our player for the next 6 months and with no other replacement on the horizon and trying to get promotion he should have completed his contract with us .

Instead we loan Zak Rudden to Dundee as they were unwilling to pay the 100k transfer fee .

You couldn’t make it up .

I know, completely agree. Son who is 8 was at a Q and A night he won it. Was what McCall said, I feel McCall felt he was gonna stay and just said that though.

The penalty summed up a horrible night. Firstly please never let Graham take a penalty again. He just runs up smashes it generally towards the goal at about the perfect height to save. If the goalie goes the right way it's a save. We got a break and it came straight back to knock into an empty net but somehow he manages to head it onto the post. Then Holt manages to save the day and bundle it over the line, at which point the ref gives a foul against him for no ****** reason whatsoever. From that point on we all knew the script. 

Utterly depressed. 

Please God let me not see Smith in a Thistle jersey ever again. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Muscat Jag said:

The penalty summed up a horrible night. Firstly please never let Graham take a penalty again. He just runs up smashes it generally towards the goal at about the perfect height to save. If the goalie goes the right way it's a save. We got a break and it came straight back to knock into an empty net but somehow he manages to head it onto the post. Then Holt manages to save the day and bundle it over the line, at which point the ref gives a foul against him for no ****** reason whatsoever. From that point on we all knew the script. 

Utterly depressed. 

Please God let me not see Smith in a Thistle jersey ever again. 

There was a clip of penalty and ensuing stramash on Scottish Football Banter website taken from behind the goal …still can’t see why goal was not allowed.

Just now, Muscat Jag said:

The only thing I can think might have happened is Holt encroaching into the box. If he has then the ref is correct. If he hasn't then it's totally inexplicable as to what offence has been committed. There's just nothing there. 

If Holt encroached into the box, that penalty should have been retaken.