Thistle v Morton

javeajag

59 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Don’t disagree essentially, but neither is there any other reason to demand a change from midfield based on last night - a game we totally dominated, had several chances to put the game out of Morton’s reach. 
Last night was the first I had been to since Arbroath at Firhill, so can’t comment on recent performances. But on last night Jakubiak has a great first touch, but can’t pass or shoot.  Had a feeling that Graham would miss the penalty and that one slip up would settle the game.

I think we have a very decent midfield but somehow we need to get others scoring bar Graham. Even tiffoney hasn't scored many. Jakubiak and McIver not the answer. Turner or Murray may provide some goals, because if they don't Bannigan, Doc nor Crawford certainly won't. The obvious answer is a new striker but let's be honest a quality one at this stage is highly unlikely. So something has to change otherwise our challenge will wane unfortunately. 

19 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

The Rudden deal is one of the most ridiculous I’ve heard of in all my years of following PTFC , of course Zak had signed a pre contract with Dundee but he was still our player for the next 6 months and with no other replacement on the horizon and trying to get promotion he should have completed his contract with us .

Instead we loan Zak Rudden to Dundee as they were unwilling to pay the 100k transfer fee .

You couldn’t make it up .

can't get my head round this

dundee didn't want to pay a transfer fee,  so we loan zak to them for what ?

dundee especially dundee missing email etc

truly you couldn't make it up

43 minutes ago, watties wallies said:

can't get my head round this

dundee didn't want to pay a transfer fee,  so we loan zak to them for what ?

dundee especially dundee missing email etc

truly you couldn't make it up

I have read that Rudden was threatening to down tools if he wasn't allowed to go. If true, good riddance to him.

21 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I have read that Rudden was threatening to down tools if he wasn't allowed to go. If true, good riddance to him.

If this is true it puts the club in a very difficult position. My first thought would be to freeze him out the team and have him training outwith the first team but then we are still paying him a wage until his contract is up. As i say a very difficult decision for the club. Last thing, i know he probably wasn't thinking about this, about a year ago most of us would not have bothered if he left as he had done nothing in his time with us, but McCall always stood by him and was confident he would do well. If he has threatened to down tools not a good way to repay the manager for showing faith in him.

Disappointment aside, our real problem, as many have mentioned, is the pitch.

For any visiting team, it's a one off game and they can sit and dig in, like Morton did last night. Game over and they're off to pastures new (and greener).

We're however, stuck with it and will have to play many more times on the total mess of a pitch.

Despite our defeat(s), we're still playing well and better than the opposition. Scoring first at home is vital and then we can dig in and play like the away team.

I'm sure our players can't wait to play away and that's not great in a sport where home advantage usually counts.

13 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

Disappointment aside, our real problem, as many have mentioned, is the pitch.

For any visiting team, it's a one off game and they can sit and dig in, like Morton did last night. Game over and they're off to pastures new (and greener).

We're however, stuck with it and will have to play many more times on the total mess of a pitch.

Despite our defeat(s), we're still playing well and better than the opposition. Scoring first at home is vital and then we can dig in and play like the away team.

I'm sure our players can't wait to play away and that's not great in a sport where home advantage usually counts.

But others turn home conditions to their advantage. For instance Arbroath play in a gale force wind every other week, but have adapted to make the conditions work to their advantage.

we still try to play tippy-tap PY Barcelona type football on a mud patch. We need a game plan to work with the pitch the way it is. One thing we can’t change is the pitch.

• Like 1

Neil Scally's take: "We got down the flanks quite a few times and had plenty of the ball but...the final ball wasn’t there," referring to the first half.

No s**t, Neil! The final ball wasn't there because it was being played down the wings to win corners instead of scoring goals. "You have to be clinical to win in this league and we (i.e. the players) weren’t clinical tonight" is just a cop-out: it was entirely down to the inept game-plan.

After all, referring to the previous, similar game: "We controlled a lot of possession, we found some good spaces in the final third but we couldn’t turn that into clear opportunities." Those "good spaces in the final third" were where play had been successfully shepherded down the wings, out of harm's way.

At least if he'd written, "We stupidly put all our effort into passing down the wings on a muddy park where ball control was never going to be the way to score," it could have been the start to  aacknowledging what went wrong. After all, by his own admission, "[Morton] still didn’t cause us many problems," i.e. they were a poor team - but they knew enough about the game to get the ball into our penalty area where they might get a chance to score. Any time we had the ball, it was passed out to the dead areas on the wings, where nobody at our level scores from.

Does our team of managers even read what they write? A thought for the future, in our ownership: at least if we employed one thrawn mismanager instead of three, we might have some money to spend on getting a half-decent striker - or even a winger, if we must revert to the 20th century.

20 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

But others turn home conditions to their advantage. For instance Arbroath play in a gale force wind every other week, but have adapted to make the conditions work to their advantage.

we still try to play tippy-tap PY Barcelona type football on a mud patch. We need a game plan to work with the pitch the way it is. One thing we can’t change is the pitch.

Yup - and the groupthink among three managers won't let them see that.

21 minutes ago, Fearchar said:

Yup - and the groupthink among three managers won't let them see that.

Why did 3 managers not realise after 20 minutes that McKenna can’t cross a ball?  And do something about it!

The crowd knew and sure as Hell, Morton knew because they allowed him time and space throughout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Agree about other teams and about the pitch.

If we hadn't created any chances playing like Barca, then we'd have to change our style.

Missing those chances is the problem and it's not solved by hoofing it up the park.

I feel frustrated by the result and by the pitch but not by our general style of play, which despite needing tweaked, does not require wholesale changes.

I get the feeling that if we try and play in a more direct way, we won't match up too well with other teams that use it as their primary style of play.

You wouldn't beat Wimbledon playing like Wimbledon - one for the oldies maybe. 

25 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

Why did 3 managers not realise after 20 minutes that McKenna can’t cross a ball?  And do something about it!

The crowd knew and sure as Hell, Morton knew because they allowed him time and space throughout.

I suppose they could have brought foster on, but maybe he wasn't fully fit. Additionally plenty of folk on here have criticised Foster for his crossing also. Christie Elliot and even Stevie O'Donnell were similary harangued for their crossing also! But let's stick to the facts. Mckennas performance did not cost us the game. Graham missed a penalty, Holt hit one over from 2 yards and Smith had a great chance. We had 16 shots, 9 corners and endless possession. So why we lost had minimal relation to McKenna. After all that I'd imagine foster will play if fit on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, Fearchar said:

Neil Scally's take: "We got down the flanks quite a few times and had plenty of the ball but...the final ball wasn’t there," referring to the first half.

No s**t, Neil! The final ball wasn't there because it was being played down the wings to win corners instead of scoring goals. "You have to be clinical to win in this league and we (i.e. the players) weren’t clinical tonight" is just a cop-out: it was entirely down to the inept game-plan.

After all, referring to the previous, similar game: "We controlled a lot of possession, we found some good spaces in the final third but we couldn’t turn that into clear opportunities." Those "good spaces in the final third" were where play had been successfully shepherded down the wings, out of harm's way.

At least if he'd written, "We stupidly put all our effort into passing down the wings on a muddy park where ball control was never going to be the way to score," it could have been the start to  aacknowledging what went wrong. After all, by his own admission, "[Morton] still didn’t cause us many problems," i.e. they were a poor team - but they knew enough about the game to get the ball into our penalty area where they might get a chance to score. Any time we had the ball, it was passed out to the dead areas on the wings, where nobody at our level scores from.

Does our team of managers even read what they write? A thought for the future, in our ownership: at least if we employed one thrawn mismanager instead of three, we might have some money to spend on getting a half-decent striker - or even a winger, if we must revert to the 20th century.

Morton were barely in our half never mind the box. They had one chance and yep they took it.  I agree with your point that we have one too many coaches. Not sure how much that would reduce the wage bill to pay for a quality striker? It is funny though that on occasion some fans accuse the team of playing long ball football up to Graham and lambast the manager. When we play it on the deck it's ineffectual because of the pitch. The reality is the football we did play created plenty of chances, but didn't score. 

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that having 3 in the management team is too many. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

I suppose they could have brought foster on, but maybe he wasn't fully fit. Additionally plenty of folk on here have criticised Foster for his crossing also. Christie Elliot and even Stevie O'Donnell were similary harangued for their crossing also! But let's stick to the facts. Mckennas performance did not cost us the game. Graham missed a penalty, Holt hit one over from 2 yards and Smith had a great chance. We had 16 shots, 9 corners and endless possession. So why we lost had minimal relation to McKenna. After all that I'd imagine foster will play if fit on Saturday. 

I agree (partially). He plays rb in a back 4 so he may be more suited to defensive duties.  However he had virtually no defensive requirements all night such was our dominance.

He had so much possession in forward areas that we’d have been better with Turner or Crawford or possibly Murray in that position to deliver better crosses. 

Crawford played well enough but struggled at outside left as he obviously doesn’t have a left foot.

Perhaps a solution could be to play a Scotland style back 5 with Holt or McKenna in the Tierney role bombing forward and Turner and Foster wing backs. We scored vs Killie from Mayo’s burst.

14 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Don’t think that would ever have happened, biggest thing from our management is there is no goal scoring replacement, so until there was , Zak Rudden should have completed his contract.

5 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Don’t think that would ever have happened, biggest thing from our management is there is no goal scoring replacement, so until there was , Zak Rudden should have completed his contract.

But. Looking at the long term picture, then McCall may decided to ship him out to avoid disruption in the dressing room.  We keep hearing that it is a very happy place to be. I don't think McCall would tolerate any upset to that.

2 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I don't seem to recall many (if any) posts about the number of people in the management team after a victory :unknw:

Personally, I don't see why Archibald was brought back. He is tainted bt his ultimate failure as Thistle boss. We do know that McCall and Archibald are good pals. Nothing wrong withvthat, but he took Scally with him from Ayr. Why do we need another coach? Unnecessarily expense in my eyes.

• Like 1