Will we be dancing on the streets of Raith?

westertonjagfan

Without Tiffoney we lack any attacking ability.. no one else seems to have a clue including the management team

Just 9 goals scored in the last 10 league games says it all 

our failure to win midweek all the more frustrating as none of the top teams won today..

Edited by JAG1970

16 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

It had nil nil written all over it. Didn't even buy the stream.  No ground lost or gained. Not confident for Tuesday, but surely we are due an unexpected win. 

A team that cannae score goals will not win the league, that’s for sure 

1 hour ago, JAG1970 said:

Dundee 4.0 down and Rudden subbed after 60 min. Maybe we could recall him….. 

Dundee's new manager has substituted hair whole midfield - never heard of that happening. With Rudden off as well that means of the 5 forward players, midfield and strikers, only Mullan saw out the game.

Sounds like a shambles of a club. Rudden will be relieved he signed a pre-season contract.lùuuo6766⁶i55ii5ubtŕwf

To today's result. The positive way to look at it is that the 0-0 draw is the start of an unbeaten run that we will keep going until the end of the season!  Not sure 13 draws will be enough to get us into a  play-off position!

After looking at the on-target shooting and actual goals scored for the last 18 games (I got bored after that, as I wasn't going to set up a database - too much like work!), two things became clear: there doesn't seem to be any particular relationship between the number of on-target shots and possession, but high scores (2-4 goals in our case) occur when we have less possession than the opposition. :o This suggests that we keep possession but then don't use it effectively. I suspect that closer inspection might also reveal a lot of (unproductive) corners, but unless someone pays me, I'm not going to set up  a database and import further data to prove the point. Maybe someone else has the time to do so. (BBC reports have adequate data for simple calculations.)

How could we improve? If my guess is right, we have two options: (1) boosting our conversion rate from corners and crosses, by going the same way as pretty well all of our division, and getting a forward (or forwards) who is prepared to challenge the typical giant centre backs at our level and head the ball into the net; (2) alternatively, we could use our possession, and avoid letting the ball be shepherded out to the wings, instead bringing it into the danger area in front of goals. My hunch would be that the latter would suit the team better, but in any case the team seems to be playing with a confused gameplan - trying to play possession football and, at the same time, trying to get the ball out to the wing for crosses into the box. At the moment, we generally have plenty of possession but it's not bringing enough of a return.

So this week sees 5 games and 4 end in draws with the only winning team being the bottom one (away from home as well). A grand total of 3 goals scored in those 5 games as well.

I think we trying to time our run so we hit top spot at the end of the final game, the football equivalent of rope a dope in boxing.

The only plus today re the game was despite the score both teams were trying to win the match. No shortage of effort in fact but that's about all the positives. Having started the 2nd half with no recognised wide players I guessed correctly that our next sub would be Murray, a guy who can play down the flanks. So wasn't surprised when he did  came on. Was more than surprised when McCall played him thru the middle. Oh! and another gripe, the wind was swirling about wildly. The stronger the wind got the more we seemed to want to play it in the air. 

52 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Dundee's new manager has substituted hair whole midfield - never heard of that happening. With Rudden off as well that means of the 5 forward players, midfield and strikers, only Mullan saw out the game.

Sounds like a shambles of a club. Rudden will be relieved he signed a pre-season contract.lùuuo6766⁶i55ii5ubtŕwf

To today's result. The positive way to look at it is that the 0-0 draw is the start of an unbeaten run that we will keep going until the end of the season!  Not sure 13 draws will be enough to get us into a  play-off position!

Mcghee is comedy gold.  At it again today.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/8492574/mark-mcghee-young-fan-disgruntled-dundee/

:D

Not surprised no one scored today. Both teams started without a proper striker or anyone who really create. At least for us we know that a fit Tiffoney will massively enhance our attack.

If you look at results elsewhere in the division goal scorers look in short supply. As much as the bottom 5 are improving the top 5 are going back the way. All of the top 5 bar Kilmarnock have lost players who provide goals during the window. We lost Rudden, Arbroath lost Nouble and Dowds, ICT lost Gardyne and Raith signed a striker they can never play mainly because they were so desperate for a goal scorer. Getting a striker on loan before the window shuts could make a big difference assuming we can also keep Tiffoney fit.

Thought today just emphasised that Jukubiak can't play as a solo striker. First half Raith were swamping our midfield because  Jukubiak kept dropping deep and neither Smith or McAllister have the pace on inclination to run in behind and force the Raith defence to drop deeper. Suspect Graham was on the bench because he was knackered and couldn't do 90 minutes but was forced into action because of how poor we were up front in the first half.

McAllister had a couple of decent crosses and it would have been interesting to see him when Graham was on the park. 

Arbroath on Tuesday is big. Hopefully resting Holt and Tiffoney means they will make that game.

• Like 1

The only slight encouragement was that our second half performance was much better than our first (not too hard to achieve).  Turner was a large part of that  improvement and it was good to see him contributing more from open play. Unfortunately he did not get the chance to deliver many corners.

I am a great fan of Akinola, but he was far below his usual standard today and could not complain if Holt replaces him at centre back on Tuesday.

We are actually missing Rudden even it pains me to say it.. without him or Tiff we are a very slow team. We have no one in team that can Commit opposition defenders and there is a lack of running in behind opposing defences.  I quite like Crawford he’s a tidy footballer but feel like we lack movement up top for the likes of Banzo and Crawford to play a decent ball that will open up a defence atm. 

Our pitch may be awful, but that pitch was just as poor for football. Dodgy bounce, difficult  to control the ball. Both teams played poorly on it. Both teams lumping it forward to no obvious plan, hoping that a defender would make a mistake.  Raith play on it every second week, they were still not comfortable. It is a poor spectacle. Wonder what Barca vs Real would be like on any Astro… Great jags support though. And what a  shitey home  support.

34 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

We are actually missing Rudden even it pains me to say it.. without him or Tiff we are a very slow team. We have no one in team that can Commit opposition defenders and there is a lack of running in behind opposing defences.  I quite like Crawford he’s a tidy footballer but feel like we lack movement up top for the likes of Banzo and Crawford to play a decent ball that will open up a defence atm. 

Aye the decision to swap Rudden for Jakubiak is embarassing, who sanctioned that? Why did we not play hardball with Rudden and just tell him he’s going nowhere, now we’ve traded for a dud who clearly won’t score any goals for us. We’ll struggle for the playoffs.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, jags on tour said:

Aye the decision to swap Rudden for Jakubiak is embarassing, who sanctioned that? Why did we not play hardball with Rudden and just tell him he’s going nowhere, now we’ve traded for a dud who clearly won’t score any goals for us. We’ll struggle for the playoffs.

It was a big mistake because I was in the if he doesn’t want to be here let him go side, but that had to be done straight away for us to find a replacement. The biggest problem we have is we have one guy in our team who can run at people with the ball.

I’ve defended McCall a lot I still think he has done a decent job and think we would be in a worse position than we are atm if he hadn’t taken over, but surely with Tiff out we should be looking at scoring goals in a different way and since He decided to leave Turner out the team our threat from corners/set plays has been non existent. 3/4 of our last goals have came directly from Tiff, worrying and I wouldn’t be against seeing Murray starting a few games just now or why did we not get rid of him and try get another player in. FRUSTRATING times.

Edited by Thistle88

13 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

It was a big mistake because I was in the if he doesn’t want to be here let him go side, but that had to be done straight away for us to find a replacement. The biggest problem we have is we have one guy in our team who can run at people with the ball.

I’ve defended McCall a lot I still think he has done a decent job and think we would be in a worse position than we are atm if he hadn’t taken over, but surely with Tiff out we should be looking at scoring goals in a different way and since He decided to leave Turner out the team our threat from corners/set plays has been non existent. 3/4 of our last goals have came directly from Tiff, worrying and I wouldn’t be against seeing Murray starting a few games just now or why did we not get rid of him and try get another player in. FRUSTRATING times.

An interesting opinion on P&B after the Morton defeat from an Ayr fan. He says that McCall's teams tended to start running out of steam around February. Effectively saying that they sleep walk into the end of the season.

1 hour ago, jags on tour said:

Looks like Rudden and his agent will regret the move , especially with the very predictable change of manager and the real possibility of relegation back to the Championship again .

Zak lasted an hour today before getting taken off in their 4 nil home defeat.

If Gerry Britton sanctioned this deal it doesn’t augur very much for our future if he is steering our Club 

3 hours ago, laukat said:

Not surprised no one scored today. Both teams started without a proper striker or anyone who really create. At least for us we know that a fit Tiffoney will massively enhance our attack.

If you look at results elsewhere in the division goal scorers look in short supply. As much as the bottom 5 are improving the top 5 are going back the way. All of the top 5 bar Kilmarnock have lost players who provide goals during the window. We lost Rudden, Arbroath lost Nouble and Dowds, ICT lost Gardyne and Raith signed a striker they can never play mainly because they were so desperate for a goal scorer. Getting a striker on loan before the window shuts could make a big difference assuming we can also keep Tiffoney fit.

Thought today just emphasised that Jukubiak can't play as a solo striker. First half Raith were swamping our midfield because  Jukubiak kept dropping deep and neither Smith or McAllister have the pace on inclination to run in behind and force the Raith defence to drop deeper. Suspect Graham was on the bench because he was knackered and couldn't do 90 minutes but was forced into action because of how poor we were up front in the first half.

McAllister had a couple of decent crosses and it would have been interesting to see him when Graham was on the park. 

Arbroath on Tuesday is big. Hopefully resting Holt and Tiffoney means they will make that game.

Arbroath may have lost Nouble and Dowds but they got Hamilton and have McKenna- who are both more than capable of scoring in the division 

By contrast we kept mciver who seems to struggle for goals, replaced Rudden with Jakubiak who also seems to struggle for goals and seem to have all our reliance placed on Tiffoney and Graham and as we are finding out if one of them has an injury we are in big trouble 

Edited by Third Lanark

7 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Arbroath may have lost Nouble and Dowds but they got Hamilton and have McKenna- who are both more than capable of scoring in the division 

By contrast we kept mciver who seems to struggle for goals, replaced Rudden with Jakubiak who also seems to struggle for goals and seem to have all our reliance placed on Tiffoney and Graham and as we are finding out if one of them has an injury we are in big trouble 

Bad management.