Thistle v ICT

javeajag

45 minutes ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

Start with team that finished on Tuesday. Cut out daft passes & we should be ok. Murray deserves a start. Nice day in the leafy West End of Glasgow, so hopefully pitch a little better.

Agree but if we're going to play the same narrow formation as we did in the 2nd half then I'd prefer Smith to Murray, but that's nit picking. Deploying Smith, Crawford and Turner as wide midfielders just ain't working plus Graham need assistance up front. So assuming no knocks I think we may go similar to last 45 mins at Arbroath. The pitch may help us for once. ICT like to move the ball about across the field with pace and that'll be difficult tonight.

If we can get a lead then the likes of McAlister &  Murray are the types of player that take the ball a bit wider. Jakubiak if nothing else looks like he could also hold the ball up in their half.

Was Akinola subbed against Arbroath because he was injured or having a poor game?

Assuming he's not starting I think the following is our best starting 11

Sneddon

McKenna-Mayo-Holt-Foster

Docherty  

Crawford                   Bannigan

Smith

Alegria                      Graham

When we signed Turner I thought he looked like he would be suited to being the most advanced midfielder in a 4-2-3-1 or in 4-1-2-1-2 so if we need to change I would like to see him replace Smith.

Murray and McAllister are useful options to have on the bench if we need to change to a 4-2-3-1. Also wouldn't mind seeing how Alegria and Jakubiak link up. Jakubiak and Graham are too similar to play together from what I have seen so far.

Real shame about Tiffoney not just because he's key to us scoring but mainly because the guy is a joy to watch. I would be amazed if someone doesn't offer decent money for him in the summer if we don't get promoted so I really want to see him play as much as possible whilst we still have him.

Tiffoney is a player we cannot afford to be without, on the other hand we cannot afford to rush him back. If he comes back to soon he could be out even longer term including going into next season. Up to our management team and any player/s brought in to do enough to keep us in the top 4 until the end of the season. Come on Thistle. :fan:

2 hours ago, laukat said:

Was Akinola subbed against Arbroath because he was injured or having a poor game?

Assuming he's not starting I think the following is our best starting 11

Sneddon

McKenna-Mayo-Holt-Foster

Docherty  

Crawford                   Bannigan

Smith

Alegria                      Graham

When we signed Turner I thought he looked like he would be suited to being the most advanced midfielder in a 4-2-3-1 or in 4-1-2-1-2 so if we need to change I would like to see him replace Smith.

Murray and McAllister are useful options to have on the bench if we need to change to a 4-2-3-1. Also wouldn't mind seeing how Alegria and Jakubiak link up. Jakubiak and Graham are too similar to play together from what I have seen so far.

Real shame about Tiffoney not just because he's key to us scoring but mainly because the guy is a joy to watch. I would be amazed if someone doesn't offer decent money for him in the summer if we don't get promoted so I really want to see him play as much as possible whilst we still have him.

To answer your first question, I would say that Akinola's substitution was the culmination of a poor game at Raith and a poor first half at Arbroath. I am his biggest fan, but have to accept that he seems to have gone down a notch over the past few games.

I appreciate that this may be wholly or partly explained by an injury of which I am not aware.

Really hope that he gets back to his previous excellent form. His blocking of shots and timing of tackle are both top drawer.

13 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

To answer your first question, I would say that Akinola's substitution was the culmination of a poor game at Raith and a poor first half at Arbroath. I am his biggest fan, but have to accept that he seems to have gone down a notch over the past few games.

I appreciate that this may be wholly or partly explained by an injury of which I am not aware.

Really hope that he gets back to his previous excellent form. His blocking of shots and timing of tackle are both top drawer.

Agree with your final paragraph re Akinola. He has been exceptional since he came to Firhill and perhaps recent poor form is  nothing more than the fact that no one can play great all the time.

I admit to not having seen a lot of football this season but hope to make up for this soon. From what little I have managed to see I can't say I have been overly  impressed by Smith or Murray. As far as Turner is concerned  I was very impressed with him when in an Airdrie Jersey. Surely with Tiffoney being out and IMC apparently going for two up front this is the time to play Turner in an advanced central midfield role just behind the two strikers. We signed a very good player from Airdrie and in my opinion have wasted him by not giving him a run of games to prove himself and when we do play him, play him out of position!

Is he now so poor that Murray and Smith are ahead of him - surely not!!

BTW what's wrong with Tiffoney?

To the actual game.

This is definitely a must win game.  Arbroath, Killie and Raith are all at home on Saturday playing against teams they should be considered favourites to beat.

If ICT win we will lose a lot of ground to the teams around us and we will suffer a huge blow to our confidence.  Together with the boost a defeat will give to Raith and ICT.

If we win it will give the table a completely different look  and after Saturdays games we will still have 2 games in hand. Whether we are good enough or not we will look like title contenders..

How do we win the game - play the way we did in the second have on Tuesday from the kick off and take our chances!

If Tiff is out, I hope our three bloody managers can spark a single neuron between them and realise that we need to start a wide player (which Crawford naturally is not). I thought Murray played well against Arbroath.

Alegria to start. His hold-up play and general technical ability gives us something really different up the top end of the pitch. Him and Graham could form a semi-decent partnership if they get a bit of service. Time for Banzo and Doc to step as well.