Thistle v ICT

javeajag

50 minutes ago, laukat said:

Great result. An ugly game of football but a big 3 points. 

Thought Alegria looked really good and the combination of him and Graham will I think score goals

My sons and I all thought he was a dud - missed two chances and created none. Jakubiak was much more effective when he came on.

Don't think I've seen a game with so many headers. Deserved the win, but having not scored when on top in the first half would've taken a draw any time in 2nd half till we scored. Thought Alegria was decent and Jak when he came on. Both look decent foils for Graham tho' Brian appeared well off the boil tonight. Sneddon's save when ICT got their one shot on target might have been better than it looked. Think he saw the ball quite late.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

We were marginally the better side in the first half...definitely not in the second. Inverness had several decent chances but we defended well enough to keep yet another clean sheet...and once again we scored a late winner...that's a real credit to the team spirit.

I thought Murray offered a bit more than Smith usually does but McKenna was our main attacking threat in the first half which says quite a bit about some of our other players. Docherty had a poor game and I am not sure  that Crawford brings much to the side. I was not that impressed with Alegria but thought that Jakubiak's ability to hold on to the ball is a real asset on that pitch. 

I always thought that Sean Welsh was under-appreciated when he played for us...he still looks an accomplished player particularly in contrast with the endless exchanges of head tennis tonight...just bring the ball down!

We are not great but we are determined...failure to make the playoffs would now be a real disappointment

32 minutes ago, Fearchar said:

My sons and I all thought he was a dud - missed two chances and created none. Jakubiak was much more effective when he came on.

He played well first half. Second half he disappeared. So did most of the team.  He's only played 1.5 games so to call a 19 year a dud is nostradumas like. Nb he was very unlucky not to score in the first half. 

• Like 2

A wins a win can we do what done last season, I kind of buy into what McCall says  about having a good dressing room. That win could be a turning point. 

Oh an big Kevin Holt who doesn’t have a bad side has been a great find .. not a fond but great signing.

Just found this at the beginning of the BBC match chat for tonight. Was intrigued to note that a draw would have enabled us to come from a point behind and leapfrog ICT, who for some reason would not also have been awarded a point:

It couldn’t get much tighter between these promotion rivals, a sole point separates fourth place Partick Thistle and third place Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

The home side have two games in hand over their visitors, but with a five-goal better goal difference, a draw or more will see them leapfrog the Highland outfit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Another 3 points on Tuesday night and we  might just begin to get up a wee head of steam into the final run in .Thought our defence and Sneddon were great last night keeping us in the game when being pounded a bit in second half as well as being instrumental in snatching the three points at the end with Holt’s finish.

Will be keeping a keen eye on results elsewhere today .

If Sneddon keeps up these performances then he surely must be a strong candidate for PoTY.

When Bannigan and Docherty are both on form they make a formidable midfield duo.

Didn't realize that SB now has over 300 games for Thistle; that's quite an accomplishment these days.

Holt certainly looks like a useful player.

Wasn’t Docherty’s best game imho. Genuine question for those that see games live, are Brannigan and Docherty too similar players for the team to go up this year?

Bonus question…if we did fluke a promotion this year, would it be a year too early? Could any longer term progress, whatever that looks like, be derailed by going up without a Premiership capable squad? How many of this team would feature in it? 

38 minutes ago, madcapmilkdrinker said:

Wasn’t Docherty’s best game imho. Genuine question for those that see games live, are Brannigan and Docherty too similar players for the team to go up this year?

Bonus question…if we did fluke a promotion this year, would it be a year too early? Could any longer term progress, whatever that looks like, be derailed by going up without a Premiership capable squad? How many of this team would feature in it? 

I think I agree. It may be too early for promotion, the squad isn’t as good as it was in 2013

43 minutes ago, madcapmilkdrinker said:

The first thing I would say is that if we get promoted it will be because we deserve it - not a fluke.

I also remember a chap called Roger Mitchell saying after we got promoted to the top flight that anyone who though we would stay up must be smoking dope. Well we did stay up and with a degree of comfort. When Livingston got promoted via the playoffs most people thought they would go straight back down but they proved people wrong and if the Accies can be a top flight team for 5 or 6 seasons in a row why can't we?

I understand the pure logic of let's wait until next season to do it but football does not operate on logic. Take the opportunity when you can otherwise why are we playing every week?

• Like 4

1st half performance was excellent. Alegria put himself about and had a great touch before lobbing over the bar.

McKenna was terrific and has obviously improved his delivery. Some great stuff from Banzo too.

Their subs made a huge difference and our back 4 plus Sned were magnificent in blunting their attacks. It’s tough on Tunji but he’s stumbled on our best back 4.  

Foster seems to get better and better! Bring on that Zanatta so he can terrify the precious lamb yet again.

We’ve won without Tiff which is a confidence booster. Changed our style, dug in, others coming to the fore in a vital victory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madcapmilkdrinker said:

Bannigan's being playing well in recent matches. Been our best player. Docherty has been a bit up and down and had one of his poorer games last night. I don't think they're necessarily too similar but more tasked with doing the same job. Neither are absolutely suited to the "Abdul Osman" type role. For a start Banzo can't tackle cleanly, and wisely backs off if a challenge isn't too necessary. Docherty is a ball winner and his overall distribution, tho' not as good as Stuart's, isn't too bad. Doc is more a threat when he gets into the top third, more instinctive attack wise than Bannigan in that area.

So I don't believe similarity is a problem. More that they have to double up on the defensive side to do the job that one big and strong holding midfielder would do. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, madcapmilkdrinker said:

It is a puzzle. I don’t think it is a squad that we can build on. Our young players are all out on loan at lower league clubs. Too many are at the wrong end of their careers, I think, for Premier league. 

13 minutes ago, madcapmilkdrinker said:

So what do we do if go up? Is McCall, after (putatively) winning two successive :) promotions, the person to lead us in the Premiership? Has he ever managed a team in the top flight.

Having said all this, being a part-owner of a team playing in the top level would be fun. 

Dundee United, certainly. I have not checked, but think that Archie may have been one of his players there. From memory, he made a good start, but then things began to unravel.