Jags v Quuens

sandy

McCall needs to make changes to the midfield. The final ball is not good enough.

Smith and Murray were dreadful and shouldn’t start again. Turner, Banzo, Doc and Jakubiak were excellent 2nd half and the back 4 tight.

Dont think Alegria played badly but he’s too similar to Jakubiak.

1 minute ago, Jaggernaut said:

Definitely a game of two halves. First was truly woeful, and I think I witnessed the longest series of nonchalant, useless, sideways and backwards passes inside our own half that I've ever seen. And inevitably, the final punt led to us losing possession. As yet again did our kick-off "tactic" of pass back, punt, give the opposition a shy and immediate possession. Bizarre.

Much better at half-time. Was happy to see the back of Murray and Crawford, and Turner was quite simply terrific. McCall certainly got the subs right. Some great footwork by Graham to get into that scoring position, and on another day we might have won it by 3 or 4  goals. The defence looked more composed and focused too in the second half.

In an interview a few weeks back McCall hinted that we were trying to do "something special......" Who knows? 

Special referring to repeating the Great Lambies double promotion I think he mean.

I actually thought Smith played well, but he can't finish like quite a few of the team. Bottom line is we are winning, outperforming where most thought we would be. If we can get tiffoney back for the Kilmarnock and arbroath games who knows what will happen.....

1 hour ago, laukat said:

and breathe....

Took 45 minutes to get going but in the end QoS were lucky it was only 1-0. 

I thought the penalty looked soft on first award but the replay showed the QoS defender had two handfuls of Smith's shirt. Definite penalty.

Turners best game of the season so far. Played a lot more centrally and that certainly got him on the ball more.

We'll need to grind out a few more of these as without Tiffoney we are struggling for pace and creativity. 

6 points ahead of 5th place with a game in hand suggests a playoff position is now the minimum return from this season

Maybe Turners best game in 2022. All season though? He was immense with all his assists at beginning of season, 2 alone against Dunfermline and a few others.  As said by other posters deserved to be playing more.

We were unlucky not to get 4 goals in the second half bar from great saves by their keeper.  By contrast I don’t think Sneddon had a save to make in the second half 

The League table is looking much better now and Saturday's games now look even more interesting.

Killie away to Ayr who after their demolition of Raith will be full of confidence and know they are able to give Killie a game. Should be close.

Arbroath are away to ICT  who following Dodd's comments after last Friday's game about "now needing to win every game" will be going for it. Should be another close game.

Now if we can just get a win at Morton on Saturday and Killie and Arbroath drop points the League Table will look even better.

Time an old codger like me was away to bed. Think tonight I will dream about Saturday's games, results and a magic 90 mins away to Morton finishing in a 5-0 for the Jags!

I know, I know its sad dreaming about a football match!!

A few positives with this team;

- Don't concede many

- Win lots of headers - something I'm not used to and we hardly lost a header all night tonight

- Good set pieces - again something I'm not used to

- Don't concede many late late goals when we're ahead. See the game out really well mostly

Some of the above must come from the management, although the older players do their bit and use their experience well.

We're definitely making the most of what we have, that's for sure

I almost expect us now to grind out a 1-0 victory with a late goal.  The first half was uninspiring but we stepped up the pace in the second half and deserved the win.

Jakubiak is the ideal player for our pitch and team...he has the strength to hold up ball and link up with team-mates...though like Ade Azeez I don't really expect to see him score. Murray has a few decent touches but always seems a bit peripheral to the action...Crawford and Docherty were again not very influential...Turner was a clear improvement when he came on.

It was a dreich night - gusty wind, rain and a deplorable playing surface which is not conducive to good football...but this team has a real spirit and determination which still makes it worth going to Firhill

1 minute ago, CotterJag said:

A few positives with this team;

- Don't concede many

- Win lots of headers - something I'm not used to and we hardly lost a header all night tonight

- Good set pieces - again something I'm not used to

- Don't concede many late late goals when we're ahead. See the game out really well mostly

Some of the above must come from the management, although the older players do their bit and use their experience well.

We're definitely making the most of what we have, that's for sure

Please add:

We now score late goals (because we never give up)

• Like 1

I didn't think Smith looked that good when he came on but he was involved in much goalmouth action. Certainly saw a lot of the ball and it did look that the substitutions really made a difference. 

Thought both the central defenders were excellent. Foster made a couple of errors late on but otherwise was also very good, even in advanced positions. Oh, and if Friday night was all about headers tonight's main feature was a spotlight on throw ins. Maybe one of these days we'll get to kick the ball about a bit, but as long as as we keep scraping wins i'm not that fussed. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

17 minutes ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Thought the ref should have yellowed the QOS goalie for blatant time wasting in second half when 0-0 ….amazing how our goal put a spring in his step .

Agreed. I don’t understand why keepers are allowed to take a bye kick from eithe side of the 6 yard box. It encourages time wasting.

Sneddon was (correctly) booked vs Airdrie so there’s a lack of consistency.

Using last night as an example, perhaps wouldn't be a bad rule if the added time prior to our goal was discarded. Don't see why we've to hang around an extra few minutes playing out time caused by their goalie dithering about.

Of course that sort of "punishment" would be hard to mete out. The ref (4th official, whoever) would have to distinguish between genuine hold up in play and blatant time wasting. Plus he'd have to ask the team in the lead their preference as they might be needing another goal(s) for reasons of goal difference. Just a thought, ideal world and all that. :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

And Dunfirmline I think

He'll be a loss. Hopefully Akinola can cover.

Mayo has been one of the standouts this season. I would like to think that if we get promoted he's one we could sign on a permanent basis.

6 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Using last night as an example, perhaps wouldn't be a bad rule if the added time prior to our goal was discarded. Don't see why we've to hang around an extra few minutes playing out time caused by their goalie dithering about.

Of course that sort of "punishment" would be hard to mete out. The ref (4th official, whoever) would have to distinguish between genuine hold up in play and blatant time wasting. Plus he'd have to ask the team in the lead their preference as they might be needing another goal(s) for reasons of goal difference. Just a thought, ideal world and all that. :)

I was also thinking along the same lines. I noticed just after the second half started a number of our players pointing out to the ref about the time their keeper was taking with goal kicks. So i was looking for him to add on a good bit of injury time, after we scored i thought it would be just typical if we conceded during the time added on, in the end i don't think he added on to much time. The Raith Rovers games the ref added on time for their goalie wasting time, we scored in the 96th minute and as soon as Raith started the game, the ref blew for full time. I must admit i did not think about your point regarding goal difference.

6 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I’ve been thinking this for ages - I think the captain (Doc in this instance) should be asked by the ref if he wants the extra time played or taken off the clock.  It wouldn’t happen though if refs acted quickly - Rae was doing it from early in the first half last night and Walsh never once spoke to him let alone booked him 

I know we do it when winning but it’s not great to watch 

10 minutes ago, Stephen1876 said:

I’ve been thinking this for ages - I think the captain (Doc in this instance) should be asked by the ref if he wants the extra time played or taken off the clock.  It wouldn’t happen though if refs acted quickly - Rae was doing it from early in the first half last night and Walsh never once spoke to him let alone booked him 

I know we do it when winning but it’s not great to watch , unless it is the Thistle goalie doing it.

FTFY. :thumbsup2: