V Morton

fifexile

1 minute ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

Just back from that debacle. Absolutely spineless performance. 

Why was Jakubiak subbed??  best for us by far.

We just don't seem to play for 90 mins - big clear out needed before next season. Too many not good enough.

Thanks Jags for ruining sat. night

Not sure big clear out needed.  We have some decent players in squad.  I think we perhaps need someone who will utilise them to better effect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAG1970 said:

Just 4 goals scored in 7 games, one a penalty,  and our strikers haven’t scored during that time. The defence has been carrying the team until today with a distinct lack of cohesion/quality  middle to front. 

Arbroath losing rubs salt into the wound. Killie are the big winners and ICT and Raith still in it for the playoffs 

No goalscoring threat in the team and I’m sure I sound like a broken record but Zak Rudden shouldn’t have been allowed to leave on loan without a goalscoring replacement.

Dreadful management, bad signings in the transfer window who have made no difference whatsoever in McAllister and Allegria, in fact they look as if they’ve made us weaker as a team .

14 minutes ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

We just don't seem to play for 90 mins - big clear out needed before next season. Too many not good enough.

We’re just about in the title race (though now unlikely) and look good for the playoffs at least. Considering the previous few years We therefore have a competitive squad at this level. A few astute additions (width/playmakers and another goalscorer) and we can go into next season with some confidence I think. The spine of the team is good though.

As an aside, despite so much being said about our pitch and the decision to share- our home form is the best in the division. It’s away from home where we’re lacking.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

The more I see of Jakubiak, the more he reminds me of Myles Storey. Does so much right, but never looks like he will ever score.

Strange game. For the first 15 minutes Big Wull's team talk was doing its job and we were right on it. Scored one and looked likely to score more.

Next hour we drifted and it was no surprise when the equaliser came. Felt sorry for Jamie. Faced with one on one and made a great save, but the rest of the defence failed him and Morton scored on the "second phase".

What may not be apparent to those who did not see the game, was that after Morton scored, we had a very good and proactive spell. Hendrie put in some great crosses, there were some incisive moves and we came close to scoring several times. So it was not a case of our collapsing and being over-run.

Unfortunately we did not nail any of our chances, Morton scored again, this time against the run of play, and that was it.

This is definitely a poor result and brings Raith and ICT back into the race not only for 3rd but also 2nd place.  We are going to have to find a 90 mimute game  and some goals to secure not only a top 4  but a 2nd place finish.

I w was intrigued by Dick Campbell's remarks after our recent draw when he said there were  a lot of tired legs in the dressing room. I wondered if this  meant Arbroath,  being a part time team, were starting to find it tough going. If so I expect them to drop points which will open up the fight for 2nd.

We really have to beat Hamilton and Dunfermline. 

Team looked really leggy. Only started to win first and second balls after they equalized. Whilst I realise playing midweek games can be disadvantageous I'd have thought being able to field more subs these days would go a long way towards easing that drawback. 

Wouldn't dwell so much on shipping two goals. More of the problem was playing 84 minutes against poor opposition and failing to score.

I'm still hopeful that we go into the killie game on the 26th still in a decent position. Killie are favorites but they will be under huge pressure for every game. Like all teams. If we were 5 points behind going into that game would be very interesting  indeed.....also with ICT and raith getting a win thay will bolster them potentially. Finally, when is  tiffoney due back? 

A sore one to take but this kind of performance has been coming. We’ve relied on a great defensive record to get us through games, our goalscoring (or lack thereof!) is what is hurting us.

We’ll have a decent fight on now to keep in the playoffs but I think we’re more than capable of it.

The standard of the division this year has been poor and that is perhaps what got our hopes up about automatic promotion. Killie look to have got their act together and with their squad and budget then they are where they should be.

As a newly promoted team with a much reduced budget (350k behind our opponents) before a ball was kicked, then I think a top four finish is a decent effort. I think the frustration comes from seeing what we’re up against and how we’ve shot ourselves in the foot a few times.

The squad has some decent players but I’m not sure how many could make the step up. Compare that to the 2012/13 squad where we had 8/9 who made the jump easily.

McCall does a decent enough job but he can be stubborn when it comes to certain players, tactics etc. He mentioned that if we got promoted he’d happily go with a midfield of Bannigan, Docherty and Crawford. I’d argue that only 1 of those 3 could play a league up and that’s being generous with Bannigan.

His loyalty to his players is not a bad thing but I’d argue the team would benefit from a fresh midfield pairing over the next few games to see if we can become a bit more attack minded.

A tough result to take but hopefully the team can get back on track against Hamilton next week.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Strange game. For the first 15 minutes Big Wull's team talk was doing its job and we were right on it. Scored one and looked likely to score more.

Next hour we drifted and it was no surprise when the equaliser came. Felt sorry for Jamie. Faced with one on one and made a great save, but the rest of the defence failed him and Morton scored on the "second phase".

What may not be apparent to those who did not see the game, was that after Morton scored, we had a very good and proactive spell. Hendrie put in some great crosses, there were some incisive moves and we came close to scoring several times. So it was not a case of our collapsing and being over-run.

Unfortunately we did not nail any of our chances, Morton scored again, this time against the run of play, and that was it.

After we scored, we just stopped playing. Our defence cannot expect to deliver shutouts every game. We’ve been getting too used to winning 1-0.

Intensity and mental attitude are well worked football phrases.  There was none of that today.  They knew Morton were crap and didn’t believe they’d ever score.

As you say, we put together a good spell after their equaliser awakened us from our slumber.

Management and captain should have been encouraged to go for the jugular rather than fart about.

3 hours ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

Watched it on tv and I was thinking the exact same thing about Jakubiak, he impressed me in the first half and he was the only guy in our team they seemed troubled by. If he’s not injured that’s one of the worst decisions I’ve seen to take a player off.

1 minute ago, Thistle88 said:

Watched it on tv and I was thinking the exact same thing about Jakubiak, he impressed me in the first half and he was the only guy in our team they seemed troubled by. If he’s not injured that’s one of the worst decisions I’ve seen to take a player off.

I agree, he was terrific but I can’t see him ever scoring a goal.

We have a problem in that we only have 1 player who can score. And he’s a 34 year old cart horse with a knackered back.

Perhaps Jakubiak could be played in Smith’s role as he’s basically crap.

• Like 1

Any hope of us going up depends on Tiffoney being available and fit.. because without him we have absolutely nothing in the final third.

Feel like a broken Record but no attacking full backs and attacking midfielders who play tippy tappy football up to the box with no bite, go 3-5-2 and play with Hendrie or Holt on the left and foster on the right

. At least it would give us some sort of width because all we do is pass in central areas and lose the ball when we get to the box it’s infuriating,.

I love big Graham but when we play so narrow like that it’s a waste of time him being in the team, not getting the service he needs.

3 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

I agree, he was terrific but I can’t see him ever scoring a goal.

We have a problem in that we only have 1 player who can score. And he’s a 34 year old cart horse with a knackered back.

Perhaps Jakubiak could be played in Smith’s role as he’s basically crap.

Big Graham will get in good positions and fight for the ball all day, but Rudden and Tiff done all the Running for him and I feel like he’s having to try Harder to make things happen. His job should be getting in good positions in the box and holding the ball up. Felt like he was getting deeper and deeper all game trying to get hold of the ball and it’s not what he’s good at.

2 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

After we scored, we just stopped playing. Our defence cannot expect to deliver shutouts every game. We’ve been getting too used to winning 1-0.

Intensity and mental attitude are well worked football phrases.  There was none of that today.  They knew Morton were crap and didn’t believe they’d ever score.

As you say, we put together a good spell after their equaliser awakened us from our slumber.

Management and captain should have been encouraged to go for the jugular rather than fart about.

You are right. Effectively we scored far too early.

Holding out for the 1-0 is a reasonable tactic for 5 minutes, but not for 85.

16 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Just 4 goals scored in 7 games, one a penalty,  and our strikers haven’t scored during that time. The defence has been carrying the team until today with a distinct lack of cohesion/quality  middle to front. 

Arbroath losing rubs salt into the wound. Killie are the big winners and ICT and Raith still in it for the playoffs 

I am not sure of the relevance of the cut off or the statistic even.When it was just Graham that was scoring it was all gloom and doom. 
It is certainly a bad set of results,bar Arbroath, this weekend and probably takes outright promotion out of our grasp. But we are still in the same situation we were for 2nd and a full week to recover until the next game.

14 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

The more I see of Jakubiak, the more he reminds me of Myles Storey. Does so much right, but never looks like he will ever score.

I hope he turns out to be more effective than Storey who I think maybe managed 1 assist in his time at Firhill.

I don't think we are in any way prepared for the Premier. That's not to say we wouldn't want it but there would have to be a massive rebuild (6-8 players at least) in my opinion. I never thought we had a good Championship winning team (no real consistent enterprise, creativity and excitement in our play) but I think we should still aim for second and give ourselves a better chance in the play-offs! I think we looked tired yesterday.....I'm sure the mud bath that is the Firhill pitch is not only stifling our football style but sapping our strength, trying to catch up on the postponed games.