Hall Of Fame 2022

jaggy

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

He took us up, yes on the back of McNamara's team. Took us to 6th, then completely lost it, relegated us, abject in the play offs, then left us languishing in the Championship.  Then brought back by his pal McCall( what for?. Old pals act?)

Not for me.

You are Victor Meldrew and I claim my £5.

The team that started the season in 2012 was McNamara's team. But he left (or, as you might say, left us languishing in the Championship). Many of us felt the season was over. Up stepped the club captain and under his management we were unbeaten and champions. And what an extraordinary few months it was. High drama, beyond the imagining of a Hollywood script writer. We shouldn't be debating whether he is worthy of the Partick Thistle Hall of Fame but questioning why he didn't win the Oscar for Best Director.

Yes, of course, it turned sour. Very few managers retire from their position.

For his 400+ appearances as a player and 4 years as manager, I believe that Archibald deserves to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Now, about that retrospective Oscar...

• Like 3

On 4/7/2022 at 5:27 PM, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Nah!

359 league games for club  411 in total

2nd division winners medal as player

1st division winners medal as a player

1st division winners medal as manager

Highest league placing as a manager in 50 years

Yip there’s definitely way more who’ve been with us who have achieved greater things

Edited by Norgethistle
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

That us your interpretation.  I have explained my reasons for what I think. You have picked up on the McCall thing. Does a club like Partick Thistle need 2 coaches? Why bring Archie back if McCall brought Scally with him. Either that or leave Scally at Ayr. Seems like an old pals act. At expense to the club. We don't have money to throw about. I have documented previously and vociferously of my views on McCall. Nothing he is doing is changing that. You are being rather petty yourself with selective choosing of your own agenda from the few reasons I gave.

I actually meant to say Archie(Not McCall), who played over 400 times for the club. But you concentrate on his shorter time as manager to exclude him. 
Pretty much every manager fails. McNamarra wasn’t going to get us promoted that season because,if I remember right, we were unable to get results away from home prior to him upping sticks for Utd. 
Didn’t Archie offer to resign after the play off defeat, but allowed himself to be dissuaded?

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Hi.  Arthur Duncan started his career with us, but at the back end of the 60s was transferred to Hibernian for around £35,000, a lot of money in those days. Bobby Lawrie replaced him at outside left. Duncan went on to have an extremely long career at Hibs, starting as a winger before, in the later days, turning out as a left back, (much as Eddie Gray did at Leeds United. ) AD finished playing at Meadowbank. He is today regarded as a Hibs ‘legend’ by their fans, but he was ‘ours’ first!

And he turned out in the "Save the Jags" match at Firhill.

I hope somebody will record the dinner, speeches etc. 

22 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Brilliant! Real legends, all of them! 

Wish I could attend.

In my (increasingly hazy) memory, I remember Duncan at left-back rather than outside-left.

Love the drawings!

160 starts with No 11 shirt, 2 @ No 7, 3 @ No 9 and 1 sub appearance = 166.

But like you Jaggernaut I seem to recall him at LB on occasion. I suspect this was tactical rather than by design, playing deep when needed.

22 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

PS: I recall watching Lady Isobel Barnett on very early 60s, B/W TV quiz show, ‘What’s My Line?  She was one of a panel of four with Barbara Kelly and (I think) Bernard Braden. Eamon Andrews was the presenter and the objective was to work out what the ‘subject’s’ job was, from a mime they gave, before answering (I think) a number of questions from the panel. I would have been about six or seven at the time, but I remember it quite well!

Did she not have sticky fingers? 

23 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Eddie Gray played at left back for Leeds during his first stint as their player-manager in the mid-1980s. He was still very lean, fit and no make-weight. He had little money to spend as Leeds were going through a ‘barren’ period. One player he signed eventually landed up at Firhill ie John Donnelly. Didn’t do much at either club! Leeds and Scotland goalie, David Harvey also played on well into his late thirties, and (I think!) he made an appearance for the Jags!

His only appearance was v Clyde on 9/2/85.  His throwing the ball out to around half-way was a novelty in the days of booting the ball from hand. However it finally backfired when he threw the ball out to a Clyde player and he fumbled the resultant shot from 18 yards for a 0-1 win.

1 hour ago, Muscat Jag said:

Did she not have sticky fingers? 

From Wikipedia

" In 1980 she was found guilty of shoplifting and fined £75 for stealing a can of tuna and a carton of cream worth 87 pence from her village grocer".

Late in life she admitted to being a compulsive shoplifter. She was found dead in her bath a few days after he court appearance.

Of the players that I've actually seen playing, Dave McParland is the  No. 1 legend, not just for his time as a player but when you throw in his stint as a manager, amazing. Closely followed by Roughie (50 caps with 16 clean sheets for Scotland), who won us God knows how many points over many seasons. Then Jackie Campbell (class, dependable), Donnie McKinnon (rougher than JC, but just as dependable), Kris Doolan (for obvious reasons).

Then there's a whole bunch of others, mostly all already and deservedly in the HoF.

Edited by Jaggernaut

A very enjoyable night.Good food (Roast breast of chicken,black pudding bon bon, mashed potato with bacon and onion sauce. Sticky toffee pudding and ice cream).

Good speeches from those introducing the inductees or their relatives. Inductees or their relatives interviewed by Michael Max, which was very entertaining.

I managed to talk to Chris Erskine and let him know how much Eunice and myself appreciated that he and Callum Booth visited young Robert while he was in hospital. A visit which Chris remembered well. I also thanked Alan Archibald for the comments he made about young Robert in the match programme of the 1st April 2017 after Robert's death.

A big thank you to @partickthedog for inviting me as a guest to his table for this event.

The pictures below show me with Chris Erskine and also myself and @partickthedog with Alan Archibald.

HOF_002.JPG

HOF_005.JPG

• Like 8