Jags v Hamilton

elevenone

Moyo and Ryan were fantastic for Hamilton

we were atrocious.  The dip in form in Akinola looks to be entirely confidence related.  Smith - it’s all been said above.  Starting a 442 with four central midfield players looked the wrong formation - but changing it made no difference.  
The walkout was staggering - a large number before half time even.  I always stay to the bitter end but understand why they felt as they did.   The context was a threadbare squad due to injury and illness but the reality is Hamilton - who really have nothing to play for - wanted it much more than we did, and we do have something to play for  

12 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

It’s abundantly clear without Tiffoney and a fully fit Graham we have nothing to offer in attack. Unless they return quickly we will miss out on a playoff spot. 
That assumes the comical defending of today isn’t repeated. 

The defence was totally at sea today. Akinola was awful, Mayo looked really uncomfortable at left centre back. In hindsight it might have been better to leave Akinola out and play Hendrix and left back, but who knows. It just didn’t seem the attitude was there today. On a positive note, thought Stanway did well when he came on.

1 hour ago, McCall Out said:

Looking forward to seeing the usual McCall apologists defending that performance. Unforgivable

Only you would think there were no mitigating circumstances around that. But I will give you that the players did not seem up for it,for whatever reason. There might have been a way back after Sneddon’s 1st error, but certainly not after his 2nd that led to the 2nd goal just before 1/2 time.

32 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Only you would think there were no mitigating circumstances around that. But I will give you that the players did not seem up for it,for whatever reason. There might have been a way back after Sneddon’s 1st error, but certainly not after his 2nd that led to the 2nd goal just before 1/2 time.

Don't think it is only me if you read the post match comments on here. Still, good to know that McCall was blameless and it was just "mitigating circumstances".

Perhaps the sun shining out of Golden Bollocks arse might help improve the state of the pitch.

Edited by McCall Out

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

The defence was totally at sea today. Akinola was awful, Mayo looked really uncomfortable at left centre back. In hindsight it might have been better to leave Akinola out and play Hendrix and left back, but who knows. It just didn’t seem the attitude was there today. On a positive note, thought Stanway did well when he came on.

Akinola hasn’t looked right since his sending off but yesterday the entire team was awful. Raising Hendrix would be a feat, he could certainly play :D

As much as we need him I hope we’re not rushing Tiffoney back too soon for Tuesday.. can’t afford to lose him a second time

Edited by JAG1970

Thistle's worst defeat in 88 matches - and that was away to Dunfermline when O'Ware was sent in in 4 minutes.  

FAO directors and management of PTFC....

Opposition teams first criticised the playing surface within a year of moving to Firhill in 1909.  After disastrous adventures with Clyde, Hamilton and Queen's Park, the lesson doesn't seem to have been learned. Whatever the reason -geological, drainage, proximity to the canal - never ever sanction ground-sharing again. No more allowing Firhill to be used for training/competition by UEFA/FIFA participants in the summer when it should be undergoing essential maintenance.  No more Old Firm Glasgow cup finals.  No more rugby.  No more! The pitch is an absolute disgrace and embarrassment. Warning letter from SPFL no doubt being drafted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

There was, of course, mitigating circumstances, but that was a performance that had no fight or desire. You wouldn't have thought that they were a team chasing promotion. That was unforgiveable.

1 hour ago, McCall Out said:

Don't think it is only me if you read the post match comments on here. Still, good to know that McCall was blameless and it was just "mitigating circumstances".

Perhaps the sun shining out of Golden Bollocks arse might help improve the state of the pitch.

I didn’t say he was blameless, but with only 13 fit outfield players at the start of the game there isn’t a lot he can do.  

14 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

There was, of course, mitigating circumstances, but that was a performance that had no fight or desire. You wouldn't have thought that they were a team chasing promotion. That was unforgiveable.

Of course it’s forgiveable.  It was really disappointing right from the start. You could see there was something not right, but I don’t know what it was - do you ?

It now boils down to whether this team and manager can bounce back and make the play offs. We are definitely on the slide, but with our best players all available we still have a great chance of making the play offs. AF Kincaig has put perspective on that result as our worst in 88 games, shocking as it was. For the record again the players were to blame ( and tactics )  for that defeat, not the pitch crap as it is. 

14 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

It now boils down to whether this team and manager can bounce back and make the play offs. We are definitely on the slide, but with our best players all available we still have a great chance of making the play offs. AF Kincaig has put perspective on that result as our worst in 88 games, shocking as it was. For the record again the players were to blame ( and tactics )  for that defeat, not the pitch crap as it is. 

For once I agree with you. As bad as the pitch is, it was the same pitch for both sides and Hamilton seemed to find a way to play on it.

You can't blame the pitch for that car crash.

4 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

For once I agree with you. As bad as the pitch is, it was the same pitch for both sides and Hamilton seemed to find a way to play on it.

21 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

The pitch is definitely a contributory factor, you’re asking players who have been playing a certain way all season to all of a sudden to start hitting it long which we haven’t got the players for , not any real pace up front for example.

This result was coming, dreadful January Transfer window which IMO made us weaker as a team

Can’t see us getting a play off place at all . 

12 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Hamilton could adapt to that pitch, we as the hosts couldn’t. Embarrassing listening to Radio Scotland describe it as worst in Scotland and borderline dangerous. All the talk of “missing Tiffoney” is nonsense, trying to play a winger on a quagmire isn’t going to work

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Of course it’s forgiveable.  It was really disappointing right from the start. You could see there was something not right, but I don’t know what it was - do you ?

A lack of fight and desire is forgiveable?  Certainly not in my book. Fans will accept defeat if at least the players give everything. Yesterday, they did not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

A lack of fight and desire is forgiveable?  Certainly not in my book. Fans will accept defeat if at least the players give everything. Yesterday, they did not.

Come on GRE. Where have you been ? That is the fault of the pitch or the players. Ian McCall can't be blamed for that !

Quick question, not related to the actual football played - as there was not much of that.

Was it just me or did the referee take up some strange positions at free kicks and corners? He seemed to be too close to the players and I can recall two occasions when after the first ball was partially cleared he was in the way of a player trying to deal with the next ball. Certainly did not contribute to our defeat but don't recall seeing it before.

Richard Foster was on the Open Goal podcast a few weeks back talking about the pitch. Said the Groundsman told the board groundsharing would be a distaster but was ignored. If that’s true then questions need to be asked. 

Won’t be many season tickets purchased next year if that’s what is served up on a weekly basis. 

Noticed a few comments that Akinola's form has dropped off since his contract extension or since the red card against Airdrie. To my mind he is a player who has been ruined by the playing surface.

As a defender he's always looked a strong physical player with decent timing in the tackle but he never seemed overly comfortable with the ball at his feet even when Firhill didn't resemble the Somme. However as the surface has degraded and the ball starts to take unpredictable bounces he more than most looks like a player who has no confidence left.

I also wonder how many injuries are being caused by the surface. The uneven mud piles can't be any good for Graham's back and you have to wonder if Jakubiak would have got injured warming up on a reasonable pitch

Might well be that the playing surface is not only making for a poor footballing spectacle but also impacting on players careers. When you add the cost to restore the pitch I don't understand why there isn't more pressure on whoever made the decision to groundshare to explain themselves?

If @Norgethistle is close with his costs to fix the pitch I think it may be worth biting the bullet and going for an artificial pitch. 

I think Hamilton showed how to play on our pitch. Forget any notion of passing. Play 2 strikers at least one over 6ft, go long, bypass the midfield and under no circumstances play out from the back or wide. The more time the ball is in around the opposition penalty area, the more likely a mistake will be made and thats when you score. A 3-5-2 probably works best as it gives you 3 centre halfs to deal with balls in the air and to shell it long. 5 in the midfield allows you to choke the middle of the park and get more people in and around the ball when it drops. If we are going to do anything in the playoffs we need to turn out quagmire into a strength.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I honestly don't think that's a problem. If anything there was maybe a lack of confidence factor that spread throughout the team as the match progressed. But even then I'd put attitude, whatever way you look at it, as very much a side issue. An unbalanced team, a playing surface that demands a long game that we're completely useless at, fielding players out of position and an overdependency on a couple of absent players, that's all far more likely the causes for yesterday's debacle. 

Weighing all that up I place the blame for yesterday heavily on the side of management. The players are of course not blameless and there appeared a lack of leadership on the pitch despite the further introduction of a couple of experienced members of the squad. The team captain was struggling big time with his own game and only Bannigan looked to be near to being on his game. There was obviously one piece of mitigation in so much as we could only field a depleted squad. Bringing on Steven Bell, however necessary, can hardly be described as a "fresh legs" substitution. Having to chase the game with an out and out defender in the striker position certainly didn't help. Mitigating circumstances alone tho' were no excuse for that overall shocking performance. But to say we lacked fight and desire, qualities that so many fans have been highlighting all season as our strongpoint, sounds to me rather disingenuous. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Cost us over £250k last time we properly relaid the pitch (as per club) if we need to do substantial drainage work then add to that plus inflation. 

2016 was more substantial work.   This time round : remove the top 3" from the pitch, replace rootzone, create level surface and re-seed.  My guess is around £50k.