Jags v Hamilton

elevenone

1 hour ago, AirdrieJag said:

2016 was more substantial work.   This time round : remove the top 3" from the pitch, replace rootzone, create level surface and re-seed.  My guess is around £50k. 

And even with more substantial work in 2016, here we are again. Replanting is just good money after bad. If we're staying at Firhill, I think we need to find the money for a 4G surface.

1 hour ago, AirdrieJag said:

2016 was more substantial work.   This time round : remove the top 3" from the pitch, replace rootzone, create level surface and re-seed.  My guess is around £50k. 

It’s more than 3” that needs removed, they need to at minimum get down to drainage. You also don’t level a football field you arc it slightly from middle out to help with the drainage, a flat park won’t drain.

It’s £250k minimum they’ve been told plus drainage work on top if needed. 

7 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

I passed Sneddon this morning when I was on the way to Maryhill park to walk my dug. I have to say he looked absolutely gutted and downcast, walking along the road. Poor guy. He's been brilliant all season apart from the daft errors in the early games. 

There's been games where in a way you can measure Sneddon's contribution. Excellent saves have meant we've saved a point or two points in a few games. Yesterday, even if he had been on his A game, we were still getting beaten. Sneddon wasn't responsible for us losing all four goals so he didn't cost us any points. Hope the lad realises that and he doesn't have any confidence issues.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

There's been games where in a way you can measure Sneddon's contribution. Excellent saves have meant we've saved a point or two points in a few games. Yesterday, even if he had been on his A game, we were still getting beaten. Sneddon wasn't responsible for us losing all four goals so he didn't cost us any points. Hope the lad realises that and he doesn't have any confidence issues.

Jamie was at fault for the first and second goals, but there were mitigating circumstances:

1) Seeing the replay, the ball went incredibly high in the air, entered the stratosphere, orbited the Moon twice and then fell to earth. Must have been horrible to try to take a clean catch. On reflection, may have been better, rather than spilling the ball back into play, to cut his losses, get on the other side of the ball and palm it away for a corner.

2) Poor kick out, but still not far short of the half way line. I have seen far worse kick outs in the English Premiership. His midfielders and defenders have to do better.

Edited by partickthedog
replay, not reply!

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

At fault for the first two goals. Set the tone. Although I will admit that we just didn't look right from the off.

4 hours ago, fenski said:

And even with more substantial work in 2016, here we are again. Replanting is just good money after bad. If we're staying at Firhill, I think we need to find the money for a 4G surface.

It’s the “ if we’re staying at Firhill”  bit that may be more concerning. The whole stadium is looking tired with little or no serious maintenance carried out over the last few years. Maybe there’s a project plan hidden somewhere ready to be executed when fan ownership bites the dust?

29 minutes ago, joekea said:

It’s the “ if we’re staying at Firhill”  bit that may be more concerning. The whole stadium is looking tired with little or no serious maintenance carried out over the last few years. Maybe there’s a project plan hidden somewhere ready to be executed when fan ownership bites the dust?

Hopefully it’s not the same project Glasgow city council have when a student flat needs building but planning permission is refused 

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

Jamie was at fault for the first and second goals, but there were mitigating circumstances:

1) Seeing the reply, the ball went incredibly high in the air, entered the stratosphere, orbited the Moon twice and then fell to earth. Must have been horrible to try to take a clean catch. On reflection, may have been better, rather than spilling the ball back into play, to cut his losses, get on the other side of the ball and palm it away for a corner.

2) Poor kick out, but still not far short of the half way line. I have seen far worse kick outs in the English Premiership. His midfielders and defenders have to do better.

Akinola contributed to the second by being far too easily turned and giving the scorer a clean shot at goal.  He was rightly dejected walking off at HT.  But a bad day all round. Hopefully they’ve got it out of their system by tomorrow and get fired up for Tuesday 

9 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Hamilton could adapt to that pitch, we as the hosts couldn’t. Embarrassing listening to Radio Scotland describe it as worst in Scotland and borderline dangerous. All the talk of “missing Tiffoney” is nonsense, trying to play a winger on a quagmire isn’t going to work

Even on that pitch I’d opt for Tiffoney every time. I’m sure IMC would too. He’s the only real creative player at the club and his absence has been huge, home and away. 

McCalls tried to build a footballing team and fair enough, I like watching Thistle play good football. But out with Graham who is getting on there isn’t a fighter in that team ! It’s all nicey, nicey again.

We need an out and out ball winner in midfield, like I said before there is no way we need 5 central midfielders that can all basically do the same thing, they are decent footballers who can play simple passes, there’s absolutely zero aggression in that midfield. 

To add to that I actually feel the same way about our defence at times, Holts been my favourite player this season (apart from Tiff obviously) but there’s a lack of aggression. Too many loan players in the team for me.

Edited by Thistle88

8 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

It’s more than 3” that needs removed, they need to at minimum get down to drainage. You also don’t level a football field you arc it slightly from middle out to help with the drainage, a flat park won’t drain.

It’s £250k minimum they’ve been told plus drainage work on top if needed. 

It’s £250k minimum they’ve been told plus drainage work on top if needed.

That's not my understanding.   Are you sure about this? 

13 minutes ago, AirdrieJag said:

It’s £250k minimum they’ve been told plus drainage work on top if needed.

That's not my understanding.   Are you sure about this? 

It’s £50k for a standard scrape back and re-lay (which should normally be done yearly, we never done it last year only re-seeded) it’s £250k approx for a deep re-lay, basically removing and replacing soil and sharp sand down to drainage to allow access to inspect drainage.  If drainage needs dug out and re- piped you may need to go deeper depending on extent of blockage /collapse and that cost can be huge. I was £35k for my garden to redo the drainage away from my house as all the pipes had to be re done, total excavation was around size of an 18 yrd box, and that never included re-turfing. 

1 hour ago, Thistle88 said:

McCalls tried to build a footballing team and fair enough, I like watching Thistle play good football. But out with Graham who is getting on there isn’t a fighter in that team ! It’s all nicey, nicey again.

We need an out and out ball winner in midfield, like I said before there is no way we need 5 central midfielders that can all basically do the same thing, they are decent footballers who can play simple passes, there’s absolutely zero aggression in that midfield. 

To add to that I actually feel the same way about our defence at times, Holts been my favourite player this season (apart from Tiff obviously) but there’s a lack of aggression. Too many loan players in the team for me.

Is there not too many loan players in the team simply because that’s all we can afford?