Goalie Mistakes

Jaggernaut

I see the Foxmeister makes it into this collection of goalkeeping howlers (at 5:22).

I remember something similar when we played at Pittordrie: our keeper has the ball at his feet, kicks it a couple of yards ahead, and takes all the time in the world to look at where he's going to punt it. In the meantime a Dons player rushes forward and takes the ball before our goalie's slow brain realizes what's happening: goal for Aberdeen.

But was the culprit Kenny Arthur or Scott Fox?

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I see the Foxmeister makes it into this collection of goalkeeping howlers (at 5:22).

I remember something similar when we played at Pittordrie: our keeper has the ball at his feet, kicks it a couple of yards ahead, and takes all the time in the world to look at where he's going to punt it. In the meantime a Dons player rushes forward and takes the ball before our goalie's slow brain realizes what's happening: goal for Aberdeen.

I liked Fox in his first spell with us thereafter no!

I think this mistake illustrates  the arrogance of the man!

5 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I remember something similar when we played at Pittodrie: our keeper has the ball at his feet, kicks it a couple of yards ahead, and takes all the time in the world to look at where he's going to punt it. In the meantime a Dons player rushes forward and takes the ball before our goalie's slow brain realizes what's happening: goal for Aberdeen.

Definitely Kenny Arthur. I was there.  Pretty sure that Leigh Hinds was the Aberdeen scorer. Due to the vagaries of "bottom 6 fixtures", we ended up playing Aberdeen away 3 times that season. In the first two games we recorded brilliant 1-0 victories. David Lilley the first time and Toastie Burns the second time were the scorers. In the third game, we were again amazingly 1-0 up (either Gerry Britton or Toastie again, I forget  which) before it all went pear-shaped and we lost. The only saving grace was that other results conspired that day to ensure that we were safe from relegation, so it was still a reasonably cheerful drive home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

Aye, that was a howler indeed. If I remember right, it was a pretty strong passback, and aimed right for the goal, rather that a safer spot to the side of the goal.

Again I was there. Very strongly hit bouncing passback by Ian Maxwell from quite a wide position. Jonny Tuffey did actually manage to kick it, but somehow it was a total fluff and the ball seemed to re-establish its previous momentum and sort of curl up and bounce over him to make its way on into the net. Absolute horrors for a 0-1 loss.

To be fair on Tuffey, he was back on the horse immediately and played brilliantly the subsequent midweek at Ross County where the newly emerging Kris Doolan scored a neat double in our 2-0 victory.

9 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Definitely Kenny Arthur. I was there.  Pretty sure that Leigh Hinds was the Aberdeen scorer. Due to the vagaries of "bottom 6 fixtures", we ended up playing Aberdeen away 3 times that season. In the first two games we recorded brilliant 1-0 victories. David Lilley the first time and Toastie Burns the second time were the scorers. In the third game, we were again amazingly 1-0 up (either Gerry Britton or Toastie again, I forget  which) before it all went pear-shaped and we lost. The only saving grace was that other results conspired that day to ensure that we were safe from relegation, so it was still a reasonably cheerful drive home.

Kenny Arthur it was! I always thought he was the slowest keeper ever when it came to kicking the ball, which usually went out for a shy.

We also lost more than a few goals because of KA's insistence on parrying the ball away when he stopped a shot in a crowded penalty box. Better keepers would have been more alert to the likelihood of the ball landing at an opponent's feet, and tried to catch it instead of parrying. I remember a couple of fatal incidents like that against the two ersecheeks in particular.

Overall, still a "decent" keeper for us.

9 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Again I was there. Very strongly hit bouncing passback by Ian Maxwell from quite a wide position. Jonny Tuffey did actually manage to kick it, but somehow it was a total fluff and the ball seemed to re-establish its previous momentum and sort of curl up and bounce over him to make its way on into the net. Absolute horrors for a 0-1 loss.

To be fair on Tuffey, he was back on the horse immediately and played brilliantly the subsequent midweek at Ross County where the newly emerging Kris Doolan scored a neat double in our 2-0 victory.

Yeah, I liked Tuffey. There was a game at Hamilton in which they absolutely pulverized us, but the Tuffmeister had deemed "Thou shalt not pass," and pulled off a series of terrific saves to deny them what looked like an inevitable win.  As soon as the full-time whistle went a couple of the Accies players immediately went up to congratulate him.

37 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Tuffey’s career was a real disappointment. I really thought he was destined for better things, brilliant for us and already by then a full international. Then he left and virtually disappeared 

According to wiki 35yrs old and now playing for Crusaders after long spell at Glenavon.  8 caps for Northern Ireland and was Jags players when making his International debut becoming the 28th Thistle player to become a full Internationalist.  Highlight was saving a pen against Italy.  Digressing but often wonder what level in Scotland the bigger teams in Northern Ireland would be at?  Mid Championship?

1 hour ago, elevenone said:

According to wiki 35yrs old and now playing for Crusaders after long spell at Glenavon.  8 caps for Northern Ireland and was Jags players when making his International debut becoming the 28th Thistle player to become a full Internationalist.  Highlight was saving a pen against Italy.  Digressing but often wonder what level in Scotland the bigger teams in Northern Ireland would be at?  Mid Championship?

I suppose we only have recent Challenge Cup games to go on. Even then Championship clubs may well have played weakened sides so inconclusive. The only game I can go on from a personal point of view was the Glentoran friendly when we were last in the top tier. For a friendly they were very competitive, tho' combative might be a better word. Based on that one game alone, and a friendly into the bargain, I'd pay good money to see them come face to face with Willie Collum. Oor Wullie would be in his element that day. Anyway, again hard to assess their level.

• 4 months later...

The chalking off of that goal by Best against Banks was a blatant injustice, which the English commentators must have been embarrassed about but of course they hid that.

I believe Roughie has something like 16 shut-outs in a Scotland jersey; one of the very best records. He was very gracious in his recent comments about Goram being "the best", but in my opinion AR himself is right up there. Probably my favourite ever Jag, just ahead of McParland, Campbell, McKinnon (then a long list not far behind).

Craig Nelson was one who could make some great saves only to make a blunder later. I might be misremembering but I recall him diving under a shot by Hately against the blue arse cheek at Firhill and doing something similar when Geordie Shaw played for Dundee, again at Firhill.

3 minutes ago, fifexile said:

Craig Nelson was one who could make some great saves only to make a blunder later. I might be misremembering but I recall him diving under a shot by Hately against the blue arse cheek at Firhill and doing something similar when Geordie Shaw played for Dundee, again at Firhill.

Nelson's an interesting one. If you look at Jags games on Youtube when he was playing, he had amazing saves after amazing saves in many matches. I don't remember any obvious blunders, but no doubt somebody can point one (or more) out. 

For me, Nelson is one of those guys who you really understand was a good un after he's gone.

Two hundred and fifty games for Brechin City later in his career. Must be a legend there.

On 3/19/2022 at 9:08 AM, elevenone said:

Tuffey pulled of a cracking save for the Crues  last week in a European match at Seaview. Got right down on his line to a header which would have ended the tie if it had gone in. He also played a big part in our Cup win in May. Made a few great saves and went up to head on a corner which we equalised from in injury time. (highlights make wonderful viewing on u tube) He has a coaching job at Seaview with youth/ladies teams at the moment. N I football has come on a lot in the last few seasons. We will have four full time teams this coming season. I would estimate our top level would be mid to bottom championship. The Challenge Cup isn't a great guide as even we send weakened teams.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

Anyone remember David Klein, looked like a solid keeper his first few games. Then came for a cross one day and well .. 

Was that not against Airdrie who were our main challengers for promotion and had a certain Ian McCall in their dugout?

One of the best and to my mind under appreciated goalkeepers we had at Firhill was Nicky Walker. When he arrived it looked like his career was on the slide.

If I remember correctly it was a swap deal with Hearts that involved Walker and Wayne Foster heading to us with Craig Nelson going to Edinburgh.

It turned out to be an inspired bit of transfer business by Lambie. Both were key to us staying in the league with Walker going on to resurrect his career with a move to Aberdeen and a return to the Scotland squad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, laukat said:

Was that not against Airdrie who were our main challengers for promotion and had a certain Ian McCall in their dugout?

One of the best and to my mind under appreciated goalkeepers we had at Firhill was Nicky Walker. When he arrived it looked like his career was on the slide.

If I remember correctly it was a swap deal with Hearts that involved Walker and Wayne Foster heading to us with Craig Nelson going to Edinburgh.

It turned out to be an inspired bit of transfer business by Lambie. Both were key to us staying in the league with Walker going on to resurrect his career with a move to Aberdeen and a return to the Scotland squad.

Not 100% if it was against Airdrie mate but it was at Firhill after Kenny having a wee spell of his flapping at crosses and the guy Klein looked great for 2/3 games. 

44 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

Not 100% if it was against Airdrie mate but it was at Firhill after Kenny having a wee spell of his flapping at crosses and the guy Klein looked great for 2/3 games. 

Definitely Airdrie-a last minute Coyle equaliser after Klein had flapped at a cross. He was culpable in us giving away a two goal lead to lose in Dingwall soon after and was never seen again