Remembering Robert Watson

partickthedog

5 years ago today the Jags family lost one its most courageous, and much loved and valued, members when Robert Watson, otherwise known as Rab the Jag, passed away at the age of 31. Refusing to allow the limitations imposed by Duchenne muscular dystrophy to define him, Robert grasped every opportunity that came his way. A wheelchair footballer, a disability rights campaigner and so much more besides, and a passionate and dedicated  follower of Partick Thistle. The repurposing of the John Lambie Stand for Thistle fans, and in particular enabling disabled fans to be in the front row and therefore right in the beating heart of the Jags support, was ideal for Robert, and if you watch the footage of some of the goals from that era (Kris Doolan had a particular knack of coming in from the right angle!), you will see Robert just to the left of the goalposts (looking from the City End) caught up in the surging wave of celebration.

Robert's proud father bears the same name, although is perhaps better known to us as Auld Jag, a trenchant (and witty) poster on this forum, the man who was turned the humble balaclava into a must have fashion accessory, and serial winner of BB's prediction competitions.

Whether it is 5 seconds or 5 minutes, please take 5 today and in whatever way works for you, give thanks for the life of Robert Junior, and remember in your thoughts Robert Senior and his wife Eunice. May there be many happy memories to lighten this day.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

So well put  PTD. No matter our differences on here we can all agree that the loss of Robert left a gap in all our lives, but most particularly that of his family and close friends. I'll say a prayer of thanks for Robert today and I hope Auld Jag and Eunice get some measure of comfort from your words.

Edited by fifexile
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lovely post. I’ll be Remembering Rab The Jag today whilst thoughts with Auld Jag and his wife, Robert was well known, very well liked and massively respected for all he accomplished.

Regardless of our differing opinions on here or in the stands this reminds we are all family, I’ll raise a wee toast to him tonight. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Forever a Jag and never to be forgotten.

Robert achieved so much in his life and I know how proud his family are of him.

Hard to believe it's been 5 years since he left us.

Kindest regards to you and your family AJ x

P.s I would be happy (and am sure many others would also) to contribute towards a sponsorship to remember Robert if that was ever something you'd like to consider again AJ

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, partickthedog said:

5 years ago today the Jags family lost one its most courageous, and much loved and valued, members when Robert Watson, otherwise known as Rab the Jag, passed away at the age of 31. Refusing to allow the limitations imposed by Duchenne muscular dystrophy to define him, Robert grasped every opportunity that came his way. A wheelchair footballer, a disability rights campaigner and so much more besides, and a passionate and dedicated  follower of Partick Thistle. The repurposing of the John Lambie Stand for Thistle fans, and in particular enabling disabled fans to be in the front row and therefore right in the beating heart of the Jags support, was ideal for Robert, and if you watch the footage of some of the goals from that era (Kris Doolan had a particular knack of coming in from the right angle!), you will see Robert just to the left of the goalposts (looking from the City End) caught up in the surging wave of celebration.

Robert's proud father bears the same name, although is perhaps better known to us as Auld Jag, a trenchant (and witty) poster on this forum, the man who was turned the humble balaclava into a must have fashion accessory, and serial winner of BB's prediction competitions.

Whether it is 5 seconds or 5 minutes, please take 5 today and in whatever way works for you, give thanks for the life of Robert Junior, and remember in your thoughts Robert Senior and his wife Eunice. May there be many happy memories to lighten this day.

Thanks to Ptd and everybody else for the very kind comments.

As a family we have a lot of very happy memories amongst them being 4 holidays in Florida which included us going to the Kennedy space center,  since space was of great interest to Robert we also visited the National space centre in Leicester in 2014, we also met Coldplay before their Hampden concert in 2009. Robert graduating from Paisley university with a 2/1 honours degree in computer games technology and him receiving campaigner of the year in 2014 from the muscular dystrophy campaign are very proud moments for our family.

Robert enjoyed going to concerts and dancing with his friends. Last but not least Robert and i shared in the ups and downs of being a jags and Scotland fan.

I have put some photos that show, Robert at the Scottish parliament, Robert with myself and Eunice after he got campaigner of the year award, Robert playing wheelchair football, Robert with Eunice and myself outside TGI fridays on his 30th birthday, Robert pretending to be scared of a house robot when we went to watch the recording of robot wars, the wreath we took up to Roberts grave today and the video was done by some of Roberts friends just after he died.

Thanks again to everybody for their kind words it is very much appreciated.

2014-10-08_18_49_53.jpg

2014-10-11_16_33_15.jpg

2015-11-01_14_46_30.jpg

2015-07-15_20_26_51.jpg

2016-03-04_22_04_20.jpg

wreath_2022_002.JPG

• Like 15

59 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I have tried downloading the video twice, i don't think it works though. Technology and me are not good friends, reason i don't have a smartphone. :help:

Video works AJ, lovely tribute from his friends, some cracking photos there just reiterating what a fantastic young man he was. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I have tried downloading the video twice, i don't think it works though. Technology and me are not good friends, reason i don't have a smartphone. :help:

As Norge has said, the video is superb, as are the photos. I am especially loving the crunching 50-50 challenge at the power chair football. Were any cards issued?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fifexile said:

If Auld Jag and Eunice have no objections I feel it would be appropriate to acknowledge Robert's life with a minutes applause at the 31st minute at our home game with Arbroath.

I would be delighted to support that (again subject to AJ and Eunice's wishes). I am not a great social media user, but am aware that there are various Jags social media groupings all communicating with each other. It would obviously be important to get the message into these networks.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

I would be delighted to support that (again subject to AJ and Eunice's wishes). I am not a great social media user, but am aware that there are various Jags social media groupings all communicating with each other. It would obviously be important to get the message into these networks.

I'd certainly join in from my online seat on the other side of the world.

• Thanks 1

This thread shows that despite varying differences on here when it comes to the real world and stuff that truly matter Jags fans are the best.  I mind seeing Robert at matches but never had the pleasure of meeting him in person.  I have had that pleasure with @Auld Jag who is a gent and a wonderful father who I often see popping over to Roberts plaque and keeping him up to speed with going on’s in match.

Again to echo posts above and with blessings from @Auld Jag and Eunice would happily support and spread the word of any applause or contribute to any sponsorship in Robert’s name.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, partickthedog said:

As Norge has said, the video is superb, as are the photos. I am especially loving the crunching 50-50 challenge at the power chair football. Were any cards issued?

The referee did have cards but i don't remember them used much. I have seen players challenge for the ball so hard that one or both power chairs tipped over, thankfully nobody got hurt. The getting the chairs upright again was difficult as the power chairs are heavy on their own but with somebody in them it took a number of adults to get everybody back to normal. Not a sport for the faint hearted. There was a good piece on a view from the terrace about wheelchair football a few weeks back. I have put a photo of Roberts medals that he won.Roberts_medals_002.thumb.JPG.87000460f5dd3720448c2cd4f25fca32.JPG

• Like 3

9 hours ago, fifexile said:

If Auld Jag and Eunice have no objections I feel it would be appropriate to acknowledge Robert's life with a minutes applause at the 31st minute at our home game with Arbroath.

Eunice and i would support whatever Thistle fans felt was appropriate to acknowledge Robert's life.

• Like 3

On 3/24/2022 at 8:39 AM, partickthedog said:

What a fantastic post! Thinking of you Robert & Eunice and thank you partickthedog for bringing this to our attention. Although I never met him young Robert was a permanent fixture in the John Lambie on match day and is sadly missed. My thoughts are with the Watson's!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

The referee did have cards but i don't remember them used much. I have seen players challenge for the ball so hard that one or both power chairs tipped over, thankfully nobody got hurt. The getting the chairs upright again was difficult as the power chairs are heavy on their own but with somebody in them it took a number of adults to get everybody back to normal. Not a sport for the faint hearted. There was a good piece on a view from the terrace about wheelchair football a few weeks back. I have put a photo of Roberts medals that he won.Roberts_medals_002.thumb.JPG.87000460f5dd3720448c2cd4f25fca32.JPG

How many Jags fans could have claimed to be a Scottish cup winner?

• Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 6:30 PM, Auld Jag said:

Eunice and i would support whatever Thistle fans felt was appropriate to acknowledge Robert's life.

With the assistance of my daughter (who is more social media savvy than me!), I have contacted some fellow Jags fans to encourage a clap to remember and honour Robert at Minute 31 of our home game v Arbroath this coming Saturday. I would encourage all near and far to participate in this in whatever way you can (physically or virtually/remotely), and especially to make this known to others who will be attending the game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

With the assistance of my daughter (who is more social media savvy than me!), I have contacted some fellow Jags fans to encourage a clap to remember and honour Robert at Minute 31 of our home game v Arbroath this coming Saturday. I would encourage all near and far to participate in this in whatever way you can (physically or virtually/remotely), and especially to make this known to others who will be attending the game.

Im not good with social media but think this is worth sharing on Pie and Bovril if it hasn't already. I hope Arbroath fans that travel down on Saturday would want to join in when they know the background.

1 hour ago, fifexile said:

Im not good with social media but think this is worth sharing on Pie and Bovril if it hasn't already. I hope Arbroath fans that travel down on Saturday would want to join in when they know the background.

Many thanks. I am reliably informed that Pie and Bovril have been tweeted and tagged. It is great to have a social media consultant!