We have a game tomorrow.....hello

thebiglemon

Just now, sandy said:

Head tennis and hoof ball won’t win us games 

Not much more we can do on that pitch it just won't allow passing football. Thought there was a bit more confidence in a few of the players particularly Akinola and Mayo looked good anchoring the midfield.  Baby steps I know and it was pretty ugly to watch but after the last few games and still missing a few players, a draw wasn't a bad result and better than most of us (myself included).

• Like 3

We’ve blown our game in hand “advantage” over the last few weeks and now find ourselves 3 points ahead of 5th place Raith having played a game more.

Hopefully they are tired when they play midweek following their cup tie tomorrow. 

We’ve scored just 6 goals in the last 11 matches (I think none of them scored by a striker) and likely need to beat them in two weeks time. Which may involve us having to score more than one goal. Perhaps the master plan is to sneak 4th and draw all 6 play off games 0.0 but win on penalties.

10 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

We’ve blown our game in hand “advantage” over the last few weeks and now find ourselves 3 points ahead of 5th place Raith having played a game more.

Hopefully they are tired when they play midweek following their cup tie tomorrow. 

We’ve scored just 6 goals in the last 11 matches (I think none of them scored by a striker) and likely need to beat them in two weeks time. Which may involve us having to score more than one goal. Perhaps the master plan is to sneak 4th and draw all 6 play off games 0.0 but win on penalties.

Last time one of our strikers scored was Graham's hat trick at Caley on the 9th February. 12 games ago.

I thought we got the tactics right today given the opposition and the surface. It was very noticeable that the centre half's didn't attempt to pass it our from the back and the first thought was to go long and try and play from there.

Mayo in midfield was very direct and physical. He was clearing anything dropping in the midfield and putting the back towards the Arbroath defence. To my mind Turner had a better game because Mayo was there to do the dirty work. 

Didn't think we had too many poor performances today other than perhaps Murray looking lost when he came on. Graham makes such a difference to our team partly because of his goal threat but more so because of his leadership and will to win.

Hopefully today showed us a way of playing at Firhill that is effective and can be tuned to turn draws into wins once we get a couple of more players fit.

The Club's first priority for next season is to have a playing surface which is fit for purpose - I have never really felt like we are good enough to be promoted but the condition of the pitch has effectively killed our chances...and it would be good to see some proper football rather than hoof and head tennis.

It's getting difficult to find something new to say other than I thought Mayo strength and height gave a better balance in midfield. Bannigan's ability to play in tight space spaces is impressive; Turner hits a mean dead ball; Smith again ineffective; Murray too lightweight; Crawford must surely be better than he has shown. Maybe allowances should be made for the dreadful state of the pitch before damning the team and individual players.

I have definitely not been in the school of thought that it would be great if Arbroath got promoted...that's mainly because I have always thought that  that Campbell was a total Dick rather than a "character" - one of our worst ever managers. Arbroath were ok  -I thought O'Brien (No.5) looked a decent player - but today just left me frustrated as we wouldn't have had to be that much better than we are to be comfortably  in the top two this season.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It’s a small point but the Arbroath player who went off injured looked like he was making the kind of challenge that Bannigan used to get red carded for a few seasons back. From where l was it looked high, reckless and could have caused our player real damage if he had connected with him.  I hope he’s ok but l’ll be interested to see it again on the match highlights.

Edited by east end jag

7 minutes ago, east end jag said:

It’s a small point but the Arbroath player who went off injured looked like he was making the kind of challenge that Brannigan used to get red carded for a few seasons back. From where l was it looked high, reckless and could have caused our player real damage if he had connected with him.  I hope he’s ok but l’ll be interested to see it again on the match highlights.

Will have to see the highlights but to me the ref failed to blow for an obvious free kick just before, the ball was there to be won and one guy came out worse from a 50-50. Why Campbell and Douglas were getting so heated I don't know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandy said:

Head tennis and hoof ball won’t win us games 

We should have won it though. Gaston had to make two good saves and Mayo should have buried a corner from Turner. We had more chances today than in the games v Hamilton and Dunfermline combined when we “tried” to play football.

I thought today marked a significant improvement to the dross that has been served up in recent weeks. If we had the run of the ball we might conceivably have taken all three points. It was not  game for the football purists , but what both teams lacked in technical ability was again magnified by the state of the pitch which more closely resembles a WW1 battlefield than a professional footballing pitch.

Overall I think a draw was a fair result and as 0-0 draws go it was decent.

1 hour ago, east end jag said:

It’s a small point but the Arbroath player who went off injured looked like he was making the kind of challenge that Bannigan used to get red carded for a few seasons back. From where l was it looked high, reckless and could have caused our player real damage if he had connected with him.  I hope he’s ok but l’ll be interested to see it again on the match highlights.

I believe it was Chris Hamilton whom we and a number of teams are being linked with in the summer 

I think that what was served up to us today by both teams was one of the worst games of football , I use the term football loosely ,  that I have seen in a while. the whole 90 minutes was dire..How Jagszone can make any highlights from that  will be interesting viewing,,,, All the best guys...

19 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

We seem to be linked to a few players. If we are still in the championship, will we have any cash to spare?

Probably not to be honest- only positive and not a great one that is that we at least won’t be in league one as can’t be relegated.  Though I don’t think Arbroaths for next season without the £350,000 advantage will be anywhere near as high now

whereas Falkirk are in danger of being relegated unless they get promotion via playoffs as they can’t get automatic promotion- and from a couple of Bairns fans no one in the division matched anywhere near their budget they had for league one

Edited by Third Lanark

Without much to take from that, having a ball winner in front of the defence is something we’ve missed since Paton and Osman left Firhill. Thought Mayo done a good job of it today, definitely think it’s a position we should be looking to get someone in for because the midfielders we have aren’t good enough in that position. Glad Big Grahams back and Akinola looked more assured, think that had a lot to do with Mayo being in front of the defence also !

4 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Probably not to be honest- only positive and not a great one that is that we at least won’t be in league one as can’t be relegated.  Though I don’t think Arbroaths for next season without the £350,000 advantage will be anywhere near as high now

whereas Falkirk are in danger of being relegated unless they get promotion via playoffs as they can’t get automatic promotion- and from a couple of Bairns fans no one in the division matched anywhere near their budget they had for league one

To think we missed out on Grittiths might have been a good thing, thought we missed a trick he has been an absolute waste of a wage for them.

10 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Falkirk will be in League 1 next season for their third year.

1 minute ago, Auld Jag said:

As i left Firhill i heard a number of Arbroath fans slagging Campbell off and one said to me with him in charge they are going nowhere. Has the season so far really raised their expectations so much.:thinking:

As Arbroath were probably favourites to be relegated, it is a fantastic effort from them this season. Can they go any further?

Just now, Garscube Road End 2 said:

As Arbroath were probably favourites to be relegated, it is a fantastic effort from them this season. Can they go any further?

I don't think so , but it just shows for me with them doing so well for the majority of the season the fans (some anyway) expectations seem to be well above what the would have been at the start of the season.