We have a game tomorrow.....hello

thebiglemon

12 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

Without much to take from that, having a ball winner in front of the defence is something we’ve missed since Paton and Osman left Firhill. Thought Mayo done a good job of it today, definitely think it’s a position we should be looking to get someone in for because the midfielders we have aren’t good enough in that position. Glad Big Grahams back and Akinola looked more assured, think that had a lot to do with Mayo being in front of the defence also !

Definitely agree about nevert having a natural replacement for Osman. When Mayo came to us the first time sevco would've preferred we played him centre mid.  Lewis now prefers centreback, which he believes is his natural position. Think it's sensible to have one of our centrebacks capable of also being effective as a defensive mid (or vice versa). Steven Bell of yesteryear for example. Guess that was why McCall was keen on signing Aaron Muirhead (tho' he looks no way as comfortable in centre mid as Mayo).  

Gotta say for a while today it looked more like we were playing with a flat back five. That was probably more to do with the way the ball was bouncing all over the place and the subsequent bouts of head tennis rather than reflecting the strength of Arbroath's attack. 

14 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Definitely agree about nevert having a natural replacement for Osman. When Mayo came to us the first time sevco would've preferred we played him centre mid.  Lewis now prefers centreback, which he believes is his natural position. Think it's sensible to have one of our centrebacks capable of also being effective as a defensive mid (or vice versa). Steven Bell of yesteryear for example. Guess that was why McCall was keen on signing Aaron Muirhead (tho' he looks no way as comfortable in centre mid as Mayo).  

Gotta say for a while today it looked more like we were playing with a flat back five. That was probably more to do with the way the ball was bouncing all over the place and the subsequent bouts of head tennis rather than reflecting the strength of Arbroath's attack. 

It’s always worth having a player like that in the team, I understand he’s trying to play attacking football etc but sometimes winning the ball back in that position of the park is the best way to get forward.

And the same goes for when one of the centre half’s carry the ball out of defence, having someone to naturally fall back and the fill the gap. Docherty, Bannigan and others don’t do that naturally.

• Like 2

Much better today. It looked as thought we were taking over from half time.  Banzo was linking well with Hendrie. Tiff was troubling them.

Their RB had his hands full.  Then he took Banzo off!  ‘WTF’ I thought.  Thereafter we struggled to a point.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

Much better today. It looked as thought we were taking over from half time.  Banzo was linking well with Hendrie. Tiff was troubling them.

Their RB had his hands full.  Then he took Banzo off!  ‘WTF’ I thought.  Thereafter we struggled to a point.

Come on Weebaw  that today was dire ..no ifs dire... Highlight of the game Dick Campbell getting sent to the stand..

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

Come on Weebaw  that today was dire ..no ifs dire... Highlight of the game Dick Campbell getting sent to the stand..

The team was set up better than it has been, unbelievably we could still end up in the playoffs. With everyone fit we actually have a chance you know, 4-3-3 with Mayo in the middle could be the way forward until the end of the season. But McKenna at right back really limits us, and I genuinely don’t dislike him as a player it just clearly isn’t his position.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

I think that what was served up to us today by both teams was one of the worst games of football , I use the term football loosely ,  that I have seen in a while. the whole 90 minutes was dire..How Jagszone can make any highlights from that  will be interesting viewing,,,, All the best guys...

Worse than the Hamilton game 2 weeks ago? Seriously?

49 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

The team was set up better than it has been, unbelievably we could still end up in the playoffs. With everyone fit we actually have a chance you know, 4-3-3 with Mayo in the middle could be the way forward until the end of the season. But McKenna at right back really limits us, and I genuinely don’t dislike him as a player it just clearly isn’t his position.

Thought mckenna had a decent game today. Not brilliant but steady. Hendry much the same. 

3 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Thought mckenna had a decent game today. Not brilliant but steady. Hendry much the same. 

He is one of those players though, I have no idea what the guys preferred/best position is. He’s fairly decent on the ball, but If he wants to use full backs to put balls in the box.. McKenna ain’t the man for it. 

There’s a few guys who IMO we can’t keep if we are going for promotion next season. Foster is getting on, and always has niggling injures. Remains to be seen if Mayo will be with us next season.. McCall said if we go up this season he has a deal with Rangers that we sign him permanently.

Murray will surely go, I expect Gordon will also along with Bell. No idea what the script is with Lyon’s and Mciver. 

A lot has been mentioned about our financial situation recently, and McCall usually has pre contacts lined up for the next season. Usually boy from lower leagues.. ain’t heard anything for a change!

10 hours ago, Winter of '63 said:

The Club's first priority for next season is to have a playing surface which is fit for purpose - I have never really felt like we are good enough to be promoted but the condition of the pitch has effectively killed our chances...and it would be good to see some proper football rather than hoof and head tennis.

It's getting difficult to find something new to say other than I thought Mayo strength and height gave a better balance in midfield. Bannigan's ability to play in tight space spaces is impressive; Turner hits a mean dead ball; Smith again ineffective; Murray too lightweight; Crawford must surely be better than he has shown. Maybe allowances should be made for the dreadful state of the pitch before damning the team and individual players.

I have definitely not been in the school of thought that it would be great if Arbroath got promoted...that's mainly because I have always thought that  that Campbell was a total Dick rather than a "character" - one of our worst ever managers. Arbroath were ok  -I thought O'Brien (No.5) looked a decent player - but today just left me frustrated as we wouldn't have had to be that much better than we are to be comfortably  in the top two this season.

And the second priority is to ditch at least three or four players that are average to below average even at this average to below average level of football, and replace them with players who have some strengths and flair. Especially, sign a couple of forwards who are capable of scoring at least every now and then. 

7 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Hendrie had a decent enough game, but he infuriated me with the amount of time he took at throw-ins. I realize it might be because nobody was looking interested in receiving it, but whatever the reason, it was beyond a joke at times.

8 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

You have to play to the conditions. We have been slated for not doing it. It cost us vs Hamilton. We adjusted yesterday. We got the ball forward more quickly and Tiffoney still had opportunities to put their defence under pressure. Unfortunately, we didn’t manage to get a goal.

3 hours ago, Thistle88 said:

He is one of those players though, I have no idea what the guys preferred/best position is. He’s fairly decent on the ball, but If he wants to use full backs to put balls in the box.. McKenna ain’t the man for it. 

There’s a few guys who IMO we can’t keep if we are going for promotion next season. Foster is getting on, and always has niggling injures. Remains to be seen if Mayo will be with us next season.. McCall said if we go up this season he has a deal with Rangers that we sign him permanently.

Murray will surely go, I expect Gordon will also along with Bell. No idea what the script is with Lyon’s and Mciver. 

A lot has been mentioned about our financial situation recently, and McCall usually has pre contacts lined up for the next season. Usually boy from lower leagues.. ain’t heard anything for a change!

Lyons is returning to Montrose on a PCA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I would say it was. We may have been marginally better, but at least Hamilton did something to make it a better game than yesterday. Nil-nil flattered both side.

So a hard fought 0 0 ( against the second top team )  is worse than a 4 0 pumping at home. Marginally better....wow. Using your logic perhaps a 6 3 defeat would have been preferrable.  

14 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

So a hard fought 0 0 ( against the second top team )  is worse than a 4 0 pumping at home. Marginally better....wow. Using your logic perhaps a 6 3 defeat would have been preferrable.  

We were talking about the game of football. From a neutral perspective the Hamilton game was a better spectacle.

Yes we played better, but as far as entertainment goes, that was virtually nil.

I really don’t think you actually read anything.

Edit ..... To save you taxing your linited reading skills, this is the post I was agreeing with.

I think that what was served up to us today by both teams was one of the worst games of football , I use the term football loosely ,  that I have seen in a while. the whole 90 minutes was dire..How Jagszone can make any highlights from that  will be interesting viewing,,,, All the best guys...

Edited by Dick Dastardly

49 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

We were talking about the game of football. From a neutral perspective the Hamilton game was a better spectacle.

Edit ..... To save you taxing your linited reading skills, this is the post I was agreeing with.

I enjoyed that game a lot more than the Hamilton game. There might not have been free flowing football, but there hasn’t been much of that in any championship match this season. 
It wasn’t just hoofball, certainly there was a lot, but there was some football played and on another day we could have scored several goals.

4 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

Cammy Smith is still Trash

He is one of those players who just hasn’t turned it on for Thistle. When he signed I was quite excited based on what he had done at Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and St. Mirren, but it hasn’t happened and doesn’t look like it ever will. If he leaves I bet he comes back to haunt us

12 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

He is one of those players who just hasn’t turned it on for Thistle. When he signed I was quite excited based on what he had done at Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and St. Mirren, but it hasn’t happened and doesn’t look like it ever will. If he leaves I bet he comes back to haunt us

I don’t even think it’s a lack of effort, he looks like he tries.

Think I was expecting a lot more from the guy and I can’t help point out that he doesn’t really do anything special or noteworthy.

I’ve never once this season said after a game aye Cammy smith had a good game lol.

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

As a thistle fan....the spectacle was not one I enjoyed. I suspect few thistle fans did. Nb no need to be so tetchy albeit I realise that is your natural standpoint. Remember it's only a game. 

Undoubtedly Smith has been a disappointment in terms of fans expectations, myself included. I look to attacking midfielders to score the occasional goal plus provide more than the occasional assist. Even just involvement in the immediate phase of play leading up to a goal should be of note. He's got one goal to his name so far and I don't recall much contribution re assists.

Albeit playing for a better side Cammy managed to score 10 goals for St Mirren in the Championship four seasons back and I'd assume a good few assists as well. His other period of note was last season when he scored six goals in twenty Championship games playing for a poorish Ayr side. On that alone you can see why McCall wanted to sign him and to a degree understand why has persisted in starting Smith. And, yes, if he returns to previous form elsewhere, he could "come back to haunt us". 

I'm willing to concede in mitigation Cammy has had to play on occasion out of position and at other times with a very disjointed or experimental attack set up. However McCall hasn't shown the same leniency towards Turner, who has on a good few occasions contributed effectively from dead balls and even at worse been better on the ball than Smith. And prior to yesterday central midfield selection has not been a problem in numbers.

eta Re Turner. My eyes might have deceived me but I thought he could've seen red yesterday. Not saying that he'd have deserved getting sent off but given the injury to Hamilton many a ref could have reacted that way. As it was he didn't even blow for a foul or immediately stop the game. Could suggest he didn't see what happened?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

As a thistle fan....the spectacle was not one I enjoyed. I suspect few thistle fans did. Nb no need to be so tetchy albeit I realise that is your natural standpoint. Remember it's only a game. 

I must have been one of those few. Maybe it was because I was expecting very little, but we were better than Arbroath yesterday, had more chances and I thought should have won the game.