We have a game tomorrow.....hello

thebiglemon

25 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Undoubtedly Smith has been a disappointment in terms of fans expectations, myself included. I look to attacking midfielders to score the occasional goal plus provide more than the occasional assist. Even just involvement in the immediate phase of play leading up to a goal should be of note. He's got one goal to his name so far and I don't recall much contribution re assists.

Albeit playing for a better side Cammy managed to score 10 goals for St Mirren in the Championship four seasons back and I'd assume a good few assists as well. His other period of note was last season when he scored six goals in twenty Championship games playing for a poorish Ayr side. On that alone you can see why McCall wanted to sign him and to a degree understand why has persisted in starting Smith. And, yes, if he returns to previous form elsewhere, he could "come back to haunt us". 

I'm willing to concede in mitigation Cammy has had to play on occasion out of position and at other times with a very disjointed or experimental attack set up. However McCall hasn't shown the same leniency towards Turner, who has on a good few occasions contributed effectively from dead balls and even at worse been better on the ball than Smith. And prior to yesterday central midfield selection has not been a problem in numbers.

eta Re Turner. My eyes might have deceived me but I thought he could've seen red yesterday. Not saying that he'd have deserved getting sent off but given the injury to Hamilton many a ref could have reacted that way. As it was he didn't even blow for a foul or immediately stop the game. Could suggest he didn't see what happened?

The ref missed so much yesterday. Not sure what happened in that incident, it has been suggested elsewhere that the injury was more self inflicted in that Hamilton went in high and came off worse. Turner seemed to indicate straight away that something was wrong and even then it took a wee while before the game was stopped.

3 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

The ref missed so much yesterday. Not sure what happened in that incident, it has been suggested elsewhere that the injury was more self inflicted in that Hamilton went in high and came off worse. Turner seemed to indicate straight away that something was wrong and even then it took a wee while before the game was stopped.

Aye, that's more likely how things happened. Given that the incident was in the middle of the pitch and there was no immediate breakaway up the park, it's fair to assume the ref missed it completely. Most refs I'm sure would've stopped the game right away. My point being that with clown refs like Beaton or Dallas you've no idea how they would've reacted. 

Can anyone make an educated guess at what McCall meant in his post-match interview about not being able to say anything in public about missing players? It could be any number of things - Covid, the pitch, the protracted fan ownership transfer - or something else entirely.

Just find it a bit weird that me mentioned it to say he couldn't mention it. (Instead of not mentioning it at all!)

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

From the video I saw on Facebook Turner caught him very late but I’m not sure if it was studs up as the angle wasn’t good. I never saw it at the game as I was shouting  for a foul for us right before it

54 minutes ago, MarciaBlaine said:

Can anyone make an educated guess at what McCall meant in his post-match interview about not being able to say anything in public about missing players? It could be any number of things - Covid, the pitch, the protracted fan ownership transfer - or something else entirely.

Just find it a bit weird that me mentioned it to say he couldn't mention it. (Instead of not mentioning it at all!)

Not allowed to mention anything related to Covid

26 minutes ago, jaggy said:

From the video I saw on Facebook Turner caught him very late but I’m not sure if it was studs up as the angle wasn’t good. I never saw it at the game as I was shouting  for a foul for us right before it

The photos below give an idea of what happened. I thought at the time the Arbroath player was reckless but on seeing the highlights it looks like Turner caught him after he had tackled.

18D63FB3-B9FE-4A73-9C13-55161CC4EC42.jpeg

129F07BA-3E19-4E0D-9655-E4492357CBE3.jpeg

4 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I must have been one of those few. Maybe it was because I was expecting very little, but we were better than Arbroath yesterday, had more chances and I thought should have won the game.

To clarify I had no problem with the Arbroath game as a spectacle. The spectacle ( if we can call it that ) that I did not enjoy in the slightest was not unsurprisingly the Hamilton drubbing. 

5 hours ago, MarciaBlaine said:

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Who’s not allowed ? Anyone at Thistle ? Why not ?

2 hours ago, Muscat Jag said:

Why??? 

I assume Docherty was out with it? 

Medical confidentiality, I presume.

They are employees of the club and are entitled to a right of medical confidentiality, exactly the same as employees at other organisations.

Best practice would not to name individuals who have illness issues, for whatever reason.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, G SUS said:

Medical confidentiality, I presume.

They are employees of the club and are entitled to a right of medical confidentiality, exactly the same as employees at other organisations.

Best practice would not to name individuals who have illness issues, for whatever reason.

Still not understanding. Clubs have been getting matches postponed all through this because of “illness” and injury. And when Covid testing was part of the regime for football to continue the number of cases at clubs was being reported.

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Still not understanding. Clubs have been getting matches postponed all through this because of “illness” and injury. And when Covid testing was part of the regime for football to continue the number of cases at clubs was being reported.

Not understanding what?

Players are employees and have a right to medical confidentiality- that’s why the manager shouldn’t speak publicly about people who have contracted Covid - as much as that might annoy supporters who want to know everything

1 hour ago, redandyellowallover said:

Quoted in error. Can’t fix on phone

Edited by G SUS

Talking about medical thingies our backroom staff getting a thanks here.  Glad the injury appears less serious for Kyle's sake as well as Hamilton. Regardless of whether there was any culpability or not, when worse these sort of incidents can affect the non injured player as well.

Jags v Arbroath 001.jpg

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, G SUS said:

Not understanding what?

Players are employees and have a right to medical confidentiality- that’s why the manager shouldn’t speak publicly about people who have contracted Covid - as much as that might annoy supporters who want to know everything

Quoted in error. Can’t fix on phone

I wasn’t suggesting that they name who has Covid. Michael suggested that Covid wasn’t to be mentioned.  Covid is pretty rampant. I would guess that it will be as common as colds and flus in the not too distant future. Will we be keeping all that confidential too ?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I wasn’t suggesting that they name who has Covid. Michael suggested that Covid wasn’t to be mentioned.  Covid is pretty rampant. I would guess that it will be as common as colds and flus in the not too distant future. Will we be keeping all that confidential too ?

We probably should, yes.

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

If a player so desires, then yes.

There’s a weird contradiction going on here. We had no problem saying that Tiffoney was away for a scan or Jakubiak had strained his groin or when any other player has an injury of some sort. What’s the difference ?  
But again I go back to the suggestion was that Covid wasn’t to be mentioned - nothing about player preference.

On 4/3/2022 at 1:18 PM, MarciaBlaine said:

I interpreted his comment a different way. I think he is more talking about what he blames for having so many injuries but he can't publicly state what he blames the number of injuries on.

Reading between the lines I think he is blaming the pitch and by extension the groundshare.

Particularly when you hear him say earlier in the interview how he thought "players that weren't suited to the way we had to play did really well". I think he was praising Cammy Smith, Mayo, Bannigan and Turner for forgoing midfield passing movements for kick and rush tactics because the playing surface wouldn't support anything else.

It was extremely noticeable on Saturday that the central defenders never played a pass to each other or tried to play through the midfield. In the second half in particular Hendrie was getting in good positions to receive a quick throw-in from Sneddon but Sneddon was clearly under orders to go long at all opportunities.

Edited by laukat
typo

50 minutes ago, laukat said:

I interpreted his comment a different way. I think he is more talking about what he blames for having so many injuries but he can't publicly state what he blames the number of injuries on.

Reading between the lines I think he is blaming the pitch and by extension the groundshare.

This was my thought too - playing so many games in a short period too.

He has mentioned it one or two times before in recent weeks in post match interviews though, so not sure what's changed.