Queen of the South.......today

thebiglemon

2 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

We were bad and all of that, but I genuinely believe that pitch was every bit as bad and possibly worse than ours. I was at the game and it looked impossible to play on

I thought that from watching on the tele.

Our pitch is poor but at least has a chance of some grass at some point.

That pitch can never improve.

27 minutes ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Nice to relax a bit on Saturday afternoon without that air of prematch doom and keep an eye on results elsewhere…..”mon eh Ton” ….yoiks,never thought I’d utter these words .

Yes! It is a rare pleasure to relax on a Saturday after a Friday night win. A Morton please.

36 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

14 shots on goal Qots had and only one on target. We only had 4 shots, I still can’t believe we won that game.

Certainly rode our luck last night. Defence was shambolic. Sneddon saved us on a few occasions. As McCall said" utter dugmeat"  But the 3 points are what counts 

11 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

We were bad and all of that, but I genuinely believe that pitch was every bit as bad and possibly worse than ours. I was at the game and it looked impossible to play on

Thanks for the input. I couldn't make the game last night and appreciate comments from those that did considerably more than those who watch on telly/stream. Admittedly the latter is great for settling contentious decisions, handballs, penalty claims goal line stuff. But in terms of assessing the overall game in general, watching on screen falls way short of attending. Re your point I think it's easy to assume that because the Firhill surface is so bad that the other clubs play on perfect surfaces. 

Bearing above in mind Sneddon's save was amazing and Gibson looked the best outfield player on the park. Was pleased that our goal came from a quickly taken and well played counter rather than some scrappy effort following some hoofball. Like others have said tho', the score was what mattered by far the most. 

25 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Thanks for the input. I couldn't make the game last night and appreciate comments from those that did considerably more than those who watch on telly/stream. Admittedly the latter is great for settling contentious decisions, handballs, penalty claims goal line stuff. But in terms of assessing the overall game in general, watching on screen falls way short of attending. Re your point I think it's easy to assume that because the Firhill surface is so bad that the other clubs play on perfect surfaces. 

Bearing above in mind Sneddon's save was amazing and Gibson looked the best outfield player on the park. Was pleased that our goal came from a quickly taken and well played counter rather than some scrappy effort following some hoofball. Like others have said tho', the score was what mattered by far the most. 

There were a couple of times we attempted to break and the player dribbling out was effectively tackled by the pitch- the ball stopped as if it had hit a big puddle- but without the water. The bounce was completely random and the ball kept bobbling off nothing. I honestly don’t blame us for being that poor given the surface. 

Funnily enough, I’ve never been as sure as I was at HT that we were going to win, simply because I’ve seen us in their position so often and know exactly how the script goes.

Edited by Duke Gekantawa
typo
  • Like 2

There were a few moments I thought the Queen's players were passing the ball in a different way because of the pitch - using a softer touch. Maybe the pitch affected our performance more than I thought at the time.

I don't think you should write off artificial surfaces though - some are definitely alot better than others.

From being at the game last night, I do not quite buy in to the general impression that we were rubbish, Queens were brilliant, and the result was a total travesty.  I accept that Queens had the majority of the play, that Gibson was the most accomplished player on the park, and that we owe a lot to the excellence of Jamie Sneddon.

However, all through the game, I thought it at least equally likely that Thistle would score. Queens did not create much themselves and many of their chances resulted from the style of defending perfected by Niall Keown and Danny Devine, where you deliberately hit the ball off your own player. I did not see that extra gear that would make Queens a more potent force.

Tiffoney had one of his less effective games. No criticism of him. He was the one with the responsibility to produce the creative magic, so he had to try things, but they were not coming off. Still the potential was there, and I was fairly confident that at some point he would turn on some game-changing moment of skill, and that was exactly what he did. 

After the goal we kept control of the last half hour and the final whistle seemed to come very early, as there was no 5 minutes of desperate bombardment to endure at the end. So to me, an encouraging performance and a continuation of the progression of improvement in the Kilmarnock/Arbroath/QoS games after the Hamilton/Dunfermline nightmares. Also good that Hendrie and Jakubiak were contributing more, and I can see them both being important over the next few games.

And that delicate touch from Brian Graham to unlock the gate for Tiffoney gets better every time you look at it.

24 minutes ago, stillresigned said:

Police Scotland are still looking for whoever it was that committed highway robbery at Palmerston last night and made away with 3  points. Police sources, have confirmed that they are searching for a well known villain in the North-West of Glasgow.

:)

If the polis are relying on an informant they'll struggle to find a grass at Firhill. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

And that delicate touch from Brian Graham to unlock the gate for Tiffoney gets better every time you look at it.

Was nice to watch and a great touch.

My favourite part of the goal and one that tells me that Tiffoney is a natural footballer, is when Tiff draws the defender in and nudges him off balance at a critical moment.

That one act allows the shot and therefore the goal.

The key problem for us is the midfield , that’s where you dominate and control games from and we are struggling to do that. Brannigan and Docherty are not playing well at the same time and we are find it hard to hold on to the ball for any length of time. I would play Crawford instead of smith and revert a simple 4-4-2 with tiffoney playing to left of Graham as per the goal last night.

3 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

From a purely financial standpoint would like to see Dunf stay up as they tend to bring a bigger support .

From a purely financial point of view I would like to see Dunfermline going down.  After Killie they have the second highest budget- we can’t get near matching their wages - so if we are both in the same division next year they will easily throw far more money than anyone else bar Dundee to get players 

23 minutes ago, javeajag said:

The key problem for us is the midfield , that’s where you dominate and control games from and we are struggling to do that. Brannigan and Docherty are not playing well at the same time and we are find it hard to hold on to the ball for any length of time. I would play Crawford instead of smith and revert a simple 4-4-2 with tiffoney playing to left of Graham as per the goal last night.

Know what you mean but I gotta feeling if fit Jakubiak will start in either a 4-3-3 (or less likely a 4-4-2). We're more or less forced into a longer ball game at Firhill due to the pitch. 

btw the very fact we're still talking about formations and selections with only a handful of games left speaks volumes.