Queen of the South.......today

thebiglemon

With our goal difference a point next weekend secures 4th place.

ICT play Killie on Friday night and a win for Killie opens up the possibility of nicking 3rd place.

If Dunfermline lose to Ayr it would pretty much confirm Dunfermline in the relegation playoff so our last 2 fixtures against Dunfermline and Ayr are only meaningful if we are chasing 3rd.

Our chances in the playoffs rest on the fitness and form of Tiffoney and Graham. We probably also want to protect Mayo, Holt and Sneddon from injury.

So do we go all out for 3rd or get 4th and then rest some players for the playoffs? 

5 minutes ago, ChiThistle said:

Match between 3rd and 4th to be played at Firhill?  (Total guess, not positive)

It’s home and away, I’d prefer 4th as we would play the second game at Firhill. Mind you that didn’t work to our advantage when we played Livi ! 

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/scottish-premiership-play-dates-announced-23614704.amp

Edited by JAG1970
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

It’s home and away, I’d prefer 4th as we would play the second game at Firhill. Mind you that didn’t work to our advantage when we played Livi ! 

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/scottish-premiership-play-dates-announced-23614704.amp

If we ‘finished third, second leg would be at Firhill. If we finished fourth, second leg would be away.

To be honest, I do not think it makes much difference.

5 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

The only advantage is we get a bit extra money for finishing 3rd. I'd say secure play off space as early as possible and then rest our key players. 

Good point! £75k of a difference,,… (last years figures)  would be valuable. 

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/revealed-how-much-spfl-prize-money-your-club-will-earn-season-547593?amp

23 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

The only advantage is we get a bit extra money for finishing 3rd. I'd say secure play off space as early as possible and then rest our key players. 

Totally agree.

The play-off system iin Scotland s a nonsense and unfair

We should have the same play-off model as that in England  that is, two semi-finals and a final.

20 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Once we secure 4th place at worst we rest players. Simple as that. We didn't think up this play off format nonsense so there's no compunction to risk injuries. As usual I'd be wary of/alert to fixed odds re fixtures involving clubs who've qualified for any of the play offs

As we face both teams that are fighting over the relegation play offs, we might be open to fair play complaints from either club for fielding weakened sides 

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

As we face both teams that are fighting over the relegation play offs, we might be open to fair play complaints from either club for fielding weakened sides 

Hardly. We’ve been fielding weakened sides for weeks and even on Friday we could only name 8 on the bench. 

55 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Hardly. We’ve been fielding weakened sides for weeks and even on Friday we could only name 8 on the bench. 

If we have a full fit squad, we may be. Having weakened squads recently hasn't been by choice, has it? If we chose to field a weakened side that is a different story.

Edited by Garscube Road End 2

8 hours ago, partickthedog said:

From being at the game last night, I do not quite buy in to the general impression that we were rubbish, Queens were brilliant, and the result was a total travesty.  I accept that Queens had the majority of the play, that Gibson was the most accomplished player on the park, and that we owe a lot to the excellence of Jamie Sneddon.

However, all through the game, I thought it at least equally likely that Thistle would score. Queens did not create much themselves and many of their chances resulted from the style of defending perfected by Niall Keown and Danny Devine, where you deliberately hit the ball off your own player. I did not see that extra gear that would make Queens a more potent force.

Tiffoney had one of his less effective games. No criticism of him. He was the one with the responsibility to produce the creative magic, so he had to try things, but they were not coming off. Still the potential was there, and I was fairly confident that at some point he would turn on some game-changing moment of skill, and that was exactly what he did. 

After the goal we kept control of the last half hour and the final whistle seemed to come very early, as there was no 5 minutes of desperate bombardment to endure at the end. So to me, an encouraging performance and a continuation of the progression of improvement in the Kilmarnock/Arbroath/QoS games after the Hamilton/Dunfermline nightmares. Also good that Hendrie and Jakubiak were contributing more, and I can see them both being important over the next few games.

And that delicate touch from Brian Graham to unlock the gate for Tiffoney gets better every time you look at it.

I agree and disagree.

We couldn’t string 2 passes together. They were by far the better team.  We survived through good luck, bad finishing and good goalkeeping.

But we did look as if we could score. At last!  Having Tiff and Graham back makes a huge difference.  They are just good attackers.  I find Graham frustrating because he’s grumpy, petulant, slow, and always picking up inane bookings.  But he’s a bloody good footballer and bursts a gasket every game.

Tiff is just class and looks as if he’s returning to form.

They couldn’t have scored a goal like that.  

I recall a game vs Rangers when we played brilliantly, were all over them when that we Skandanavian winger Lundstrom or something scored a cracker.  Rather similar scenario.

We have been let down by the back up squad if Smith, Crawford, Murray , Alegria and other fringers. Jak needs to come good soon. 

We have a small squad and most have played some part this season, so if we have to rest a few players i don't see a problem. Also when covid stopped the season prematurely we were told by a number of clubs, every club has to do what is best for them, for me that is the attitude we take if we do get the play off with game/s to spare.

5 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

I agree and disagree.

We couldn’t string 2 passes together. They were by far the better team.  We survived through good luck, bad finishing and good goalkeeping.

But we did look as if we could score. At last!  Having Tiff and Graham back makes a huge difference.  They are just good attackers.  I find Graham frustrating because he’s grumpy, petulant, slow, and always picking up inane bookings.  But he’s a bloody good footballer and bursts a gasket every game.

Tiff is just class and looks as if he’s returning to form.

They couldn’t have scored a goal like that.  

I recall a game vs Rangers when we played brilliantly, were all over them when that we Skandanavian winger Lundstrom or something scored a cracker.  Rather similar scenario.

We have been let down by the back up squad if Smith, Crawford, Murray , Alegria and other fringers. Jak needs to come good soon. 

The name you were looking for is Lovenkrands. Remember that game at Firhill (2003-2004 perhaps). We had most of the play, but on the one occasion when my hero Jean Yves Anis let Lovenkrands out of his pocket, he pounced, cut in from the wing and scored. 

10 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

What’s the advantage in finishing 3rd? 

Extra money always good but was thinking more about the advantage of a home tie and massive support on a Friday night for the second leg of the tie.

On a personal note, I'm in Glasgow that weekend for a gig and would love a walk up to Firhill too.

10 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

If we have a full fit squad, we may be. Having weakened squads recently hasn't been by choice, has it? If we chose to field a weakened side that is a different story.

But that’s the thing - is there a definition of a fully fit player ? Is every player’s fitness measured before each game and is there a level at which someone is declared fully fit or not ?

9 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

It all depends if the club declare a player fit to play. Doesn't it?

Exactly. As long as we don't make it totally obvious.....as others have said we will do what assists us as best as possible. That said still not in the play offs yet.