Raith Rovers today

allyo

3 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I thought this game was going to end 0-0. Imo we were the better team in the first,even in the second.Last 2 games will be difficult with both teams vying to get away from relegation play off place.

I'm with you on that AJ.

From the online stream, it looked like we were cruising to a 0-0 draw. Don't think anyone had a particularly bad game either.

Their goal was pretty crushing however and I can see many a drink being taken tonight from the Firhill faithful.

I still think we're play-off bound and doubt we could have asked for more at the start of the season.

The disappointment maybe comes from the fact that just about everyone in the league has been below par for large chunks of the season. Most teams down top mid-table will be thinking they could have won it with even a slight improvement.

Despite wanting to put this season behind me, can't put my finger on it but it's left me feeling underwhelmed and agitated, I still don't think the answer is to sack everyone and start again. 

It feels like a section of our fanbase are in some way looking for perfection from top to bottom. Thistle are not, and never have been perfect and that's the attraction for many of us.

Give me a team to watch and a decent pitch and throw in a few highs now and again. This season may not yet disappoint.

I just want to see a good game.

Week after week it’s garbage.  No skill, flair, pace.  And no entertainment. I’d prefer to lose 4-3 than the dreaded 1-0 every time.

Thank God for Tiff.  There’s absolutely nothing coming from the midfield. Delivery is a joke. How everyone laughed when Jak crossed the ball over the JL stand and Hendrie was trying to cross the corner flag instead of the ball.

But McKenna’s crosses are not even laughable. We had some good passes in to him 1st half. Every one wasted.  I just felt sorry for him. He didn’t wNt to be there.  For God sake McCall, do something radical at RB. The boy’s a haddie!

12 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

I'm with you on that AJ.

From the online stream, it looked like we were cruising to a 0-0 draw. Don't think anyone had a particularly bad game either.

Their goal was pretty crushing however and I can see many a drink being taken tonight from the Firhill faithful.

I still think we're play-off bound and doubt we could have asked for more at the start of the season.

The disappointment maybe comes from the fact that just about everyone in the league has been below par for large chunks of the season. Most teams down top mid-table will be thinking they could have won it with even a slight improvement.

Despite wanting to put this season behind me, can't put my finger on it but it's left me feeling underwhelmed and agitated, I still don't think the answer is to sack everyone and start again. 

It feels like a section of our fanbase are in some way looking for perfection from top to bottom. Thistle are not, and never have been perfect and that's the attraction for many of us.

Give me a team to watch and a decent pitch and throw in a few highs now and again. This season may not yet disappoint.

I agree with some of this but the stats are damning from January, no matter the extraneous issues. Maybe you are right that there is less disappointment to come. If so its lazurus at his best.

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

I just want to see a good game.

Week after week it’s garbage.  No skill, flair, pace.  And no entertainment. I’d prefer to lose 4-3 than the dreaded 1-0 every time.

Thank God for Tiff.  There’s absolutely nothing coming from the midfield. Delivery is a joke. How everyone laughed when Jak crossed the ball over the JL stand and Hendrie was trying to cross the corner flag instead of the ball.

But McKenna’s crosses are not even laughable. We had some good passes in to him 1st half. Every one wasted.  I just felt sorry for him. He didn’t wNt to be there.  For God sake McCall, do something radical at RB. The boy’s a haddie!

Play the boy in his position which is a centre half not a right back unfortunately McCall has about 5 or 6 centre halves just now .

It's the fact it's the same insipid disjointed performance week in week out that's the killer. Even when we were winning, the performance is less than convincing. It's easier to take when we win, like last week, and the manager can be more honest about how shite we were..

Reminds of the season before McNamara came in - oh for a team that played football like his did.

I can’t help but compare our current team to the squad that won promotion in 2012/13.  Back then we had talented individuals, a bit of flair, excitement and a desire to win. Erskine, Doolan, O’Donnell, Lawless, Forbes, ATS etc. The buzz around Firhill was palpable. 

Then you look at yesterday, or the game before that etc etc. How many of our current squad would have measured up to our title winning squad? Sneddon maybe, Tiff possibly. The rest? Nah. 

9 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

I never said that I wanted him back as manager but credit to him for taking Arbroath to were they are in the league...He has got a team of binmen fisherman, postmen, playing for him as a team. Mc Call always says that he is a Thistle man , my team but they are not playing for him..

Arbroath’s squad is the same kind of mix as ours that won the league cup - its a mix of full time and part time players.

32 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Arbroath’s squad is the same kind of mix as ours that won the league cup - its a mix of full time and part time players.

Arbroath have no full time players at all which makes what they’re achieving all the more remarkable.

1 minute ago, jlsarmy said:

Arbroath have no full time players at all which makes what they’re achieving all the more remarkable.

Arbroaths season is quite remarkable. There they are yesterday, going 0-1 to Queens and then they go and knock 5 goals past them. Hats off to them 

38 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

They have several loan players that are full time -  nouble, Jack Hamilton, Chris Hamilton etcetc amongst others 

They’ve got 3 players on loan who train twice a week at Arbroath, the 2 Hamiltons and Craig Wighton .

Nouble is now back at Livi

Edited by jlsarmy

15 hours ago, Winter of '63 said:

Going to games at Firhill has been Groundhog Day for months now - grim wars of attrition on a dreadful playing surface on which quality football is near impossible. The games have had tension but can't disguise we're not really very good. We thrashed some poor sides earlier in the season but I can't remember when I saw us score more than 1 goal in a game...or played fluent passing football.

Sneddon is an improved keeper...Mayo and Holt are solid defenders...Bannigan and Tiffony's talent is restricted by the pitch. That's about it for positives. McKenna is a decent defender but doesn't have the skill set going forward...Jakubiak holds the ball up quite well but is up with Azeez & Storey in the unlikely to score category...Graham has scored a lot of goals but is a bit of a plodder...Docherty doesn't contribute enough...Crawfurd always seems to get to where the ball has just been.

I'm sure I have said all this numerous times before this season...and with the ball in the air half the time, it would help to have height and strength in midfield...we looked better with Mayo in there.

We might still get the play-off spot...but I have always thought that a team finishing fourth in the Championship is nowhere near promotion standard.

Candidate for phrase of the week!

3 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

They’ve got 3 players on loan who train twice a week at Arbroath, the 2 Hamiltons and Craig Wighton .

Nouble is now back at Livi

All 4 far far more prolific goalscorers than Smith jackuibiak, mciver and Allegria can ever dream to be which helps snd one of the Hamilton’s ain’t even a striker