VAR In Scottish Premiership

Fawlty Towers

VAR is definitely needed at Firhill. My grand-daughter was delighted to defeat Tunji Akinola at Connect 4 at the Junior Jags Easter Egg Hunt yesterday.

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/easter-egg-hunt-success/  . Unfortunately, as you will see from the photograph in the report on the official website, a reference to VAR would have revealed that poor Tunji was playing his 5th yellow counter when there were already 6 red counters in play.

• Haha 1

I'm ignorant about the details of VAR: Who decides when VAR should be consulted? If it's the ref, then there's little prospect of fewer "biased" accusations, as he (or she!) simply has to decide whether or not to use it. Can it be used to alert the referre to "off-the-ball" incidents? If not, why not? And who makes the final decision? Presumably it's not a robot, so the same accusations of bias can still apply. So, is VAR really worth all the expense and interruptions (which I understand some people think actually enhances the entertainment)? Are there any examples of how it has significantly improved football overall?

12 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Has been voted through.  Only one club (Championship) was against.  Thinking from a Jags perspective we would certainly benefited from it in recent years.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11781/12593541/var-scottish-premiership-to-introduce-video-technology-after-crucial-vote

I wonder how those red lines  that shows a player offside by half a toenail will work on our ploughed field

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

I'm ignorant about the details of VAR: Who decides when VAR should be consulted? If it's the ref, then there's little prospect of fewer "biased" accusations, as he (or she!) simply has to decide whether or not to use it. Can it be used to alert the referre to "off-the-ball" incidents? If not, why not? And who makes the final decision? Presumably it's not a robot, so the same accusations of bias can still apply. So, is VAR really worth all the expense and interruptions (which I understand some people think actually enhances the entertainment)? Are there any examples of how it has significantly improved football overall?

As i understand it. There is a building which is called the hub. This building has screens that show the matches as they are played. Watching each screen is a referee and if something major happens on the field of play they inform the referee at the game. Sometimes the VAR ref will ask the on field ref to look at  an incident on the screen which is at the side of the pitch, then the on field ref makes their decision. VAR is not involved in every decision like wrong throw in or corners given, just the major ones.

I do not understand why they are bringing this in mid season, surely it would make sense to start it at the beginning of a season.

I assume the "rules" currently applying in England will apply up here?  Since it was introduced I've often wondered...

a) Are referees contractually obliged to go over and see an incident on the TV?  Is it permissible for them to stick to their original decision and decline?

b) If they do consult the TV, again, do they have the scope to say "thanks but no thanks"?

I don't think I've ever seen either of these scenarios.  If they have no scope, why all the faffing about? All that needs to happen is they get a message in their ear to say an incident has been reviewed and the decision is whatever and told to implement it. 

32 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

I assume the "rules" currently applying in England will apply up here?  Since it was introduced I've often wondered...

a) Are referees contractually obliged to go over and see an incident on the TV?  Is it permissible for them to stick to their original decision and decline?

b) If they do consult the TV, again, do they have the scope to say "thanks but no thanks"?

I don't think I've ever seen either of these scenarios.  If they have no scope, why all the faffing about? All that needs to happen is they get a message in their ear to say an incident has been reviewed and the decision is whatever and told to implement it. 

In Scotland it works slightly different. The VAR guys tell the ref that there is an incident to review. The ref goes over to watch the replay, while in the background a colleague is phoning Lawwel/Doncaster to ask what they want the decision to be.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, a f kincaid said:

a) I think they are advised to check on the pitch side screen.

b)I think they can stay with their original decision, but have yet to see that happen.

It does result in a lot of added time for the game.

Morton confirmed they were the Championship club that voted against VAR due to costs and 'diminishing fan experience'. Seems odd given that the cost is being footed by the Premiership clubs not sure how getting marginal decisions right will diminish their fans experience.

38 minutes ago, fifexile said:

Morton confirmed they were the Championship club that voted against VAR due to costs and 'diminishing fan experience'. Seems odd given that the cost is being footed by the Premiership clubs not sure how getting marginal decisions right will diminish their fans experience.

Diminishing fan experience is something that happens every time you visit that midden.  The irony.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 9:09 PM, Auld Jag said:

a) I think they are advised to check on the pitch side screen.

b)I think they can stay with their original decision, but have yet to see that happen.

It does result in a lot of added time for the game.

I can think of two examples were the referee was told to consult the pitchside monitor, did so, and stuck with their original decision. One was for a possible Harry Kane red card v. Liverpool, and the other for a possible handball by a Man City player v. Everton. Both, in my opinion, should have resulted in the referee changing their decision- the latter example resulted in an official apology to Everton.

I seem to remember one or both of the erse cheeks some years ago objecting to the possibility of video evidence being used to detect off-the-ball incidents, because their players were more often the focus of the cameras and therefore it would be "unfair" on them.

Let's hope therefore that VAR gets used correctly to assess penalty claims and help enforce punishments for diving etc. 

1 hour ago, Big Wull said:

Always remember when Gerry Britton 'tickled' the nose of muscat by accident and went down like Rocky had punched him, and I think we fell apart. With our luck VAR would most likely miss these kind of incidents

Have absolutely no recollection of this incident! 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Have absolutely no recollection of this incident! 

Seem to remember Gerry was remonstrating with the ref and threw his arms out. Muscat who was walking behind Gerry and couldn't have been in his eyeline went down clutching his face. Result red card. 

If Var had been round in most recent times I think we would have benefitted more than not.  Off top of my head examples.

For.  

Dools ghost goal v Morton.

The Muscat clip above.

Overruling penalty for ‘offside’ v qos 0-0 game just before covid. (had we scored then whole dynamic and relegation would have been different that season).

Miles Storey being chopped in box in last min v Celtic in 0-1 defeat.  (again that point would have been vital that season).

Dundee Utd dude scoring with hand in cup game.  (got us knocked out).

Maybe clutching at straws but those last 4 were potentially massive season defining decisions.

Var against us.  The other ghost goal with Mottram (not that it mattered in end).

Anyone others either way I have missed that VAR may have corrected?

2 hours ago, fifexile said:

Seem to remember Gerry was remonstrating with the ref and threw his arms out. Muscat who was walking behind Gerry and couldn't have been in his eyeline went down clutching his face. Result red card. 

Sorry mate. I remember the incident fine. Just my attempt at humour. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elevenone said:

If Var had been round in most recent times I think we would have benefitted more than not.  Off top of my head examples.

For.  

Dools ghost goal v Morton.

The Muscat clip above.

Overruling penalty for ‘offside’ v qos 0-0 game just before covid. (had we scored then whole dynamic and relegation would have been different that season).

Miles Storey being chopped in box in last min v Celtic in 0-1 defeat.  (again that point would have been vital that season).

Dundee Utd dude scoring with hand in cup game.  (got us knocked out).

Maybe clutching at straws but those last 4 were potentially massive season defining decisions.

Var against us.  The other ghost goal with Mottram (not that it mattered in end).

Scott McCleans header at parkhead was a good football over the line. Never given and lost on penalties 

For me VAR ruins football.

Yes, technically some decisions might be more correct, but these things generally balance out so its not going to benefit any particular club. The big issue for me is the inability to properly celebrate a goal as it goes in. I was at the Scotland-Denmark game and as Che Adams goal went in I knew it was tight. Rather than going crazy with joy at Scotland securing their most impressive result in many years, I waited with baited breath and was only convinced it was a goal when Denmark eventually kicked off. I accept that not everyone feels the way I do, many people around me were celebrating immediately with no concerns, but that was how it affected me. And as more goals are overturned and people get more used to it, I worry that more people will react more like I did. Football is a game that totally relies on the burst of emotion at these moments. All the greatest moments you can think of in football were about the joy of celebrating as the ball hit the net, or the goalkeeper may a crucial penalty save.

VAR is killing that.

When you think of how poor the football has been for much of this season, and the cost... the idea that you could also lose that moment of release as the ball hits the net. To be honest I wonder if I'll just lose interest completely.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2022 at 2:48 PM, elevenone said:

That's the thing. It changes decisions in virtually every game, for things that you'd never have noticed, and shouldn't really matter.

If it was only used for the types of things you mention then maybe it would be fine, i think thats propbably what most people had in mind when it first came in. But once you start using it you really have to analyse everything. And as I say, I reckon that ruins the game.

I find it really sad because I know it's out the bottle now, and there's no going back.

Edited by allyo