Ayr away Friday night.

a f kincaid

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

That's a good point about our highest placing in the past 5 seasons. The tremendous number of shut-outs is another positive. I reckon the dismay among a lot of fans (me included) is due to the dreadful performances and results in the past two months that saw us miserably fail to take advantage of our games in hand and fall right out of the race to finish as league winners. That, and the total ineffectiveness of our midfielders and  forwards rise to score more than a maximum of one goal per game, or even to score at all in many of them.

It would take pretty much a miracle for this Thistle team to get promoted now.

Agree it will take a miracle. Leaving aside our current form the history of playoffs show the team finishing 4th rarely win their first tie never mind actually get promoted. However we shouldn't lose sight of the achievement just because its been a stumble over the line rather than a charge. There are 6 other teams in the league who would give body parts to be in our position and that's before you start looking at clubs in leagues below like Falkirk.

The Foster incident last night has the horrible feeling that our expectations of the team and players is way beyond what the can reasonably achieve and we are in danger of losing sight of how far we have come.

Foster's reaction last night was poor but I actually think he's done a very good job for us. His performances out of position last season at leftback were key to our success. This season he's struggled with injuries but always looked one of the better fullbacks in the league which for a guy who's almost 37 years old isn't bad. In 40 years of watching Thistle I've seen plenty aging ex-old firm players at Firhill picking up a final paycheck for little return. Foster isn't in that category and if you look at our drop in form it coincides as much with Foster's injuries as it does with Tiffoney's and Graham's or Rudden leaving. Given all that for a player returning from injury to get abused after 45 minutes seems O.T.T to me.

Hopefully Foster is fit enough to play in the playoffs. A back 4 of Foster-Mayo-Holt-Hendrie or Foster-Akinola-Mayo-Holt is a big improvement on anything that involves McKenna. McKenna has played well at times but he still looks like a centreback playing out of position.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stephen1876 said:

I struggle to understand the animosity of folk towards Foster. He has been a good signing for us and shows a great deal of fight and commitment despite him now probably having a very comfortable life - there is no coasting from him.  He is probably a very strong leader in the dressing room and showed his class by giving his bonus to the young guys last year. 

I missed the incident at half time but when he was walking off after being subbed, I was applauding in recognition of 4th after 36 games, but the guy behind was giving him absolute pelters, something you would never get away with in any other walk of life. I’m personally glad that Foster called him out. 

The last three months haven’t been great on the park but we have achieved our target. Even if we didn’t, I wouldn’t criticise any of the players for lack of desire and I would never have anything against any Thistle player who tried. You can see the frustration in the players that we have struggled to replicate our 2021 form

Agree with all of this. Foster comes across as a decent guy and probably signed to keep playing at a decent level and because he has a good relationship with McColl. There may be any number of reasons they play badly but I  don't believe  players ever go out to play badly. Some fans need to get a grip.

ETA if you gave me the play offs at the start of the season I would be delighted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gianlucatoni said:

I’ve just seen the video of the initial provocation as the team went out for the 2nd half - deary me not good at all and puts some colour into RF’s reaction post match.

The fan hurling abuse/wanting a square go with one of the players and the one who was shouting the sectarian bile have disrespected the club. I hope that they are seriously reflecting on their behaviour today and don’t show their faces around the ground this season. Perhaps it is they who should be issuing an apology today.

The initial provocation wasn't when the team went out for the second half.

The initial provocation was at the end of the first half. Where the fan behaviour, while pretty cringe, was at the tame end of offensive.

The video of the team emerging for the second half, where the three letter word beginning with H and the sectarian satsuma reference are uttered by one of the people off-camera, happened after Foster decided to go all Scrappy Doo at some sad acts hurling more general abuse.

The sectarian nonsense is inexcusable.

So is a footballer in his late 30s launching himself at a bunch of fans challenging them to a square go, regardless of the context or the nature of the provocation.

39 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

The initial provocation was at the end of the first half. Where the fan behaviour, while pretty cringe, was at the tame end of offensive.

The video of the team emerging for the second half, where the three letter word beginning with H and the sectarian satsuma reference are uttered by one of the people off-camera, happened after Foster decided to go all Scrappy Doo at some sad acts hurling more general abuse.

So is a footballer in his late 30s launching himself at a bunch of fans challenging them to a square go, regardless of the context or the nature of the provocation.

Thanks for clarification on sequence of events WJ - either way 2+ 2 = inexcusable on all counts

51 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Isn’t it irrelevant that he is a footballer, it was people involved, and I guess if the abuse was sectarian, the boys in blue, will take an interest.

59 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Isn’t it irrelevant that he is a footballer, it was people involved, and I guess if the abuse was sectarian, the boys in blue, will take an interest.

It's particularly indefensible for him to behave that way when he's supposed to be a role model and ambassador: both to younger fans and other players.

14 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

It's particularly indefensible for him to behave that way when he's supposed to be a role model and ambassador: both to younger fans and other players.

I’m sure ambassador and role model aren’t mentioned in Ricky Foster’s contract.

If reading between the lines he was subjected to personal abuse then there has got to be a human element involved as well and basically he lost his temper.

Would have been better if the Thistle fans around about the guy called this clown out , that would have shown a better example to the younger element of our support .

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, scotty said:

Whichever one we were playing. But I wouldn't be shouting about Rangers if we were playing East Fife.

It's clear that you see that particular song differently to me.

I see it as our message that we are Thistle and don't care much for religion in football. That means we can sing it whoever the opposition.

I can't stand Rangers and would love to beat them more than any other team, especially in a Cup Final.

Of course I'd still enjoy beating East Fife or anyone else for that matter.

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

I’m sure ambassador and role model aren’t mentioned in Ricky Foster’s contract.

If reading between the lines he was subjected to personal abuse then there has got to be a human element involved as well and basically he lost his temper.

Would have been better if the Thistle fans around about the guy called this clown out , that would have shown a better example to the younger element of our support .

Performing the functions of ambassador and role model is part and parcel of the modern footballer’s contract. In any other workplace what Richard Foster did would be regarded as bringing his employer into disrepute.

Remember this guy is also supposed to be on the coaching staff of the Women’s team, is he not?

The original video shows very clearly that he was not subject to personal abuse prior to his decision to behave like Scrappy Doo. The fans in question were generically heckling the entire team as they came past. The only personal abuse he appears to have received, based on the video evidence and eye-witness accounts, happened immediately after he squared up to the fans and then again when they emerged for the second half.

On the basis that laws of physics mean you can’t be provoked by something that happened afterwards (this isn’t Doctor Who) he has absolutely no excuse for his behaviour.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Richard Foster has not been part of the coaching staff of the Partick Thistle Women's team since the conclusion of the 2020-2021 season. 

Unless you know better of course. 

To be fair any grown man shouting abuse at another grown man in public is pretty grim, whatever the context. Foster shouldn’t have reacted & I’m sure he knows that, but the folk in the videos shouting & goading need to have a good look at themselves, especially given the context of an essentially meaningless game.

4 hours ago, CotterJag said:

It's clear that you see that particular song differently to me.

I see it as our message that we are Thistle and don't care much for religion in football. That means we can sing it whoever the opposition.

I can't stand Rangers and would love to beat them more than any other team, especially in a Cup Final.

Of course I'd still enjoy beating East Fife or anyone else for that matter.

It would be revenge for the final of 1953-54 (and no, I wasn't there!).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Performing the functions of ambassador and role model is part and parcel of the modern footballer’s contract. In any other workplace what Richard Foster did would be regarded as bringing his employer into disrepute.

Remember this guy is also supposed to be on the coaching staff of the Women’s team, is he not?

The original video shows very clearly that he was not subject to personal abuse prior to his decision to behave like Scrappy Doo. The fans in question were generically heckling the entire team as they came past. The only personal abuse he appears to have received, based on the video evidence and eye-witness accounts, happened immediately after he squared up to the fans and then again when they emerged for the second half.

On the basis that laws of physics mean you can’t be provoked by something that happened afterwards (this isn’t Doctor Who) he has absolutely no excuse for his behaviour.

Performing the function of ambassador is part of every employee contract these days. We have seen it many times when someone(not only high profile people) has been caught on camera misbehaving in some way, getting fired, because it brings their employer into disrepute.

21 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Since January we have been the third worst team in the league, better only than Raith Rovers and Queen of the South.

Maybe highlights the absurdity of these leagues of ten.  Most of our displays of late have been relegation fare and I reckon we'd struggle to beat Montrose, Airdrie or Queens PK. Yet here we are with a +2 games won and a mere +6 goal diff a handful of games away from promotion. I can't imagine there's many (if indeed any) other leagues anywhere that by design have 30% of their clubs playing each other SIX times a season.

Still for once selfishly I'm quite happy with that nonsense.