Sign in to follow this  
denismcquadeno.eleven

Subbuteo

The game lives on with multiple Thistle teams available to buy on eBay. I used to play in the late 60s/early 70s but, though computer football like FIFA and Pro Evolution have taken over today, ‘flicking to kick’ still goes on. Wish I’d had some of those Thistle teams in stripes and hoops in my day. Which would I have picked?

F7C383F5-29E3-47F3-9A59-51D6ED2D446B.jpeg

Edited by denismcquadeno.eleven
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

The game lives on with multiple Thistle teams available to buy on eBay. I used to play in the late 60s/early 70s but, though computer football like FIFA and Pro Evolution have taken over today, ‘flicking to kick’ still goes on. Wish I’d had some of those Thistle teams in stripes and hoops in my day. Which would I have picked?

,F7C383F5-29E3-47F3-9A59-51D6ED2D446B.jpeg

Top left has never been bettered methinks

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Absolutely.  All time classic.

the V neck version was also very snazzy, GRE

Top left was the one i had. Also had floodlights, photographers, European cup and the original world cup. Only bit i have left now is the world cup.

I have this set of Subbuteo players, but I can no longer remember where or when I got them.

Apart from the officials, who are 3 dimensional, the rest are 2D flat plastic.

Free to a good home. If any Jags fan would like to have them please message me.

IMG_20201029_230833.jpg

Loved Subbuteo. Still got a full box with pitch, goals (with real nets, not the later plastic ones), the original large size balls, and four teams, plus the Jags (with the goalie's handle being wire, not the later plastic affairs).

As somebody astutely remarked on here before, every player bears a strong resemblance to Tommy Rae.

11 hours ago, Rid Skwerr said:

I have this set of Subbuteo players, but I can no longer remember where or when I got them.

Apart from the officials, who are 3 dimensional, the rest are 2D flat plastic.

Free to a good home. If any Jags fan would like to have them please message me.

IMG_20201029_230833.jpg

These were the original type of players for Subbuteo when it was first produced. They look very basic when compared to the type that followed and still produced to day but…they still ‘play’ in the same way, have a similar base (I think there have been  two or three slightly different types of base over the years) and basically do the job.  They are 2D rather than 3D and ‘taller’ players so I don’t know how that affects balance and if they ‘right’ themselves easily when they fall over, as the later ones did/do. The ‘worst’ that can happen is the players made of card might bend or crease, whereas the plastic ones crack. But the card ones can be replaced easily in the base whereas the plastic ones are fixed. But, for a collector, they’d probably love to have them, for they have a certain charm of their own, being an early example of something that became a huge game eventually. They look in excellent condition too. I prefer the early green ‘carpets’ they used to make to the present day ones, thus not everything that’s up to date is better! I’d bet there’s many Thistle and Subbuteo fans over a certain age who’d welcome having them. Thanks for showing them.

My daughter got me this silk screen print below of ‘Subbuteo man’ (wonder if there’s a woman!)  for a birthday present. She told me there were two available either red or blue. I prefer the blue because it reminds me of the strip Thistle wore when they won the Scottish cup or what used to be in the 60s, their second strip. (Only thing is the shorts are too short for 1921!)  The print is numbered and signed by the artist  called ‘Rhona Garvin’ who, with a name like that, very well might be a Scot. I like to think so!

25D3F412-C8D7-45CB-84CD-17D4A557278B.jpeg

11 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Loved Subbuteo. Still got a full box with pitch, goals (with real nets, not the later plastic ones), the original large size balls, and four teams, plus the Jags (with the goalie's handle being wire, not the later plastic affairs).

As somebody astutely remarked on here before, every player bears a strong resemblance to Tommy Rae.

Yes, those nets were brilliant and a cut above other football games’ nets of the time!

Does anyone else remember late 1950s magnetic football played on a plastic table? You moved the players around with a magnet on a stick. It was chaotic..

1 hour ago, robphil said:

Does anyone else remember late 1950s magnetic football played on a plastic table? You moved the players around with a magnet on a stick. It was chaotic..

Yes indeed. You could hook your opponents sick if he was in on goal.

I loved that game! Very skillful and great fun. Subbuteo took over but magnetic football was better. Id iove to introduce it to my grandkids now. I wonder if any sets remain.

1 hour ago, robphil said:

Yes, it was called ‘Super Soccer’. I got it one year (from Santa Claus!) It had two players on each team-blue v red. The players moved around on a green felt base, lined up like a football pitch and stuck on hardboard. Round the pitch was a plastic fence to stop the ball running off. Under the board, you moved the stick around with magnet attached in contact with the board, (board on stilts so you could go underneath)  controlling the plastic players (who were all set in the kicking position) They had magnets with the opposite polarity against the magnet of the stick. The goalies were controlled by being attached to small plastic sticks, with a gap through the net. Thus your right and left hand had jobs to do controlling goalie and outfield players simultaneously.Unlike Subbuteo, the ball was much smaller. The pluses of Subbuteo were you had eleven players on each side, and could choose from many   team colours on a big pitch, with proper nets (for a while). You could pass, do a ‘version’ of dribbling (ie player was flicked and ‘ran’ with the ball ), shoot for goal and make spectacular saves. But, it could be a bit stop/start and the ball was very large-bigger than the players. The down side of ‘Super Soccer’ was there were only three players a side-two outfield and goalie-and only in red and blue. The upside was you could ‘really’ dribble and do crunching tackles with real contact for a contact sport. Once, I broke a stick because of this! But, you were in constant contact with one of your players with your stick. It wasn’t about taking turns. Every football game ever made has its upsides and downsides, though ‘blow football’ doesn’t (for me) have many of the former! Table football, found eg  in pubs or college/uni games rooms etc, doesn’t always have eleven a side. The table is a fair size, and you have to kick the ball forward or kind of swivel it bit for a pass forward, back or sideways. All the lines of large players have a thick metal rod through them and you have to turn handles which makes the whole rod move. The ball often runs away because the game is not played on felt or ‘carpet’. Many choose to spin their players quickly at 360 degrees! (which isn’t realistic but fun!) More than two people can play on one side which makes it sociable and it often is very noisy (like Super Soccer).  Which is the best? I’d go for Subbuteo but I did very much like ‘Super Soccer’ too and played many enjoyable games v mum and dad. My mum was pretty good at it too! Table football is great in a noisy slightly-inebriated group in a pub!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

My daughter got me this silk screen print below of ‘Subbuteo man’ (wonder if there’s a woman!)  for a birthday present. She told me there were two available either red or blue. I prefer the blue because it reminds me of the strip Thistle wore when they won the Scottish cup or what used to be in the 60s, their second strip. (Only thing is the shorts are too short for 1921!)  The print is numbered and signed by the artist  called ‘Rhona Garvin’ who, with a name like that, very well might be a Scot. I like to think so!

25D3F412-C8D7-45CB-84CD-17D4A557278B.jpeg

Ooh to have one of those in the red and yellow hooped top and white shorts (other combinations of the famous rednyella are available :happy2:)

3 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

These were the original type of players for Subbuteo when it was first produced. They look very basic when compared to the type that followed and still produced to day but…they still ‘play’ in the same way, have a similar base (I think there have been  two or three slightly different types of base over the years) and basically do the job.  They are 2D rather than 3D and ‘taller’ players so I don’t know how that affects balance and if they ‘right’ themselves easily when they fall over, as the later ones did/do. The ‘worst’ that can happen is the players made of card might bend or crease, whereas the plastic ones crack. But the card ones can be replaced easily in the base whereas the plastic ones are fixed. But, for a collector, they’d probably love to have them, for they have a certain charm of their own, being an early example of something that became a huge game eventually. They look in excellent condition too. I prefer the early green ‘carpets’ they used to make to the present day ones, thus not everything that’s up to date is better! I’d bet there’s many Thistle and Subbuteo fans over a certain age who’d welcome having them. Thanks for showing them.

Pretty as they are, I don't actually think those are original flat PTFC players, as when those first arrived on the scene the Jags played only in red and yellow hoops. These are probably more recent than that. I happen to have a set of the original flatties. Our first foray into vertical stripes wasn't until the mid seventies, and I remember it splitting opinion among fans. Actually the hoops vs. stripes issue still divides opinion. Like porage with salt or with something sweet.

• Like 1

The magnetic game had negatives and positives (! ). Had one of those, and also one of the plastic tables with players standing in little indentations, attached by a spring. So when the ball fell into an indentation and therefore  at the player's spring feet, you could bend him back and then ping the ball somewhere, and if you were skillful/lucky it would be a defence-splitting pass to another one of your players.

And then there was blow football (back when that was an innocent kids' game!). I blew and blew until ma heid was spinning! When he was losing, my b*stardin' brother used to suck through the tube so the ball stuck to the end, and dropped it in my goal. 

• Like 1

You’ve made a good point and may be right, but why would they still be producing this type, long after the plastic 3D one? Maybe they weren’t specifically meant to be Thistle but just a generic set, which coincidentally looked like the vertical stripes we ended up using from the 1970s. The black shorts on these 2D players look much too long for the 1970s (Shorts got shorter and shorter until the 1980s!) Incidentally, on the matter of which is the best home strip, I prefer the original hoops-the strip worn for very many years after Thistle switched from navy/white to red/yellow. Too many sides these days change their design almost on an annual basis. But, some clubs stick with their classic design. The classic design for Thistle is the red/yellow hooped shirt. With that, white, black or red shorts and red socks with black/yellow trim is my favourite.

5 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

You’ve made a good point and may be right, but why would they still be producing this type, long after the plastic 3D one? Maybe they weren’t specifically meant to be Thistle but just a generic set, which coincidentally looked like the vertical stripes we ended up using from the 1970s. Incidentally, on the matter of which is the best home strip, I prefer the original hoops-the strip worn for very many years after Thistle switched from navy/white to red/yellow. Too many sides these days change their design almost on an annual basis. But, some clubs stick with their classic design. The classic design for Thistle is the red/yellow hooped shirt. With that, white, black or red shorts and red socks with black/yellow trim is my favourite.

100% agreement.

I always thought those classic socks were ace.

4 hours ago, robphil said:

This was the first football game I had. If you moved the stick too quickly the magnet lost contact with the player - it was hilarious!

I still play subbteo and I have the Partick Thistle team shown top left of the image shown at the start of this thread. It's iconic and unique and no one but me  is allowed to touch it.

My 10 year old grandson loves the game and gets really into it more so than the Fifa and other electronic games. When bidding for the Jags team on ebay it cost far more than teams like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Ajax  Brazil, Argentina etc.

The box even had a picture of a subbuteo player in the strip!

God I wish we could go back to that strip  perhaps with some modern touches. I reckon it would be a sell out!

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

100% agreement.

I always thought those classic socks were ace.

Yes, the red socks, black turn downs with a thinner yellow line running through. With the red/yellow hooped shirts with black collar/cuffs and white shorts, that WAS/IS Partick Thistle, for me. THE classic! Now, teams or should I say, kit manufacturers just want to monkey about with the design year on year. NB: When ex-Man Utd fans broke away because they were scunnered by the owners, costs etc and formed FC United of Manchester (FCUM) , (operating in the non leagues they get 3000 at most home games) one thing the fan owners  insisted on was having a say on what the the club strip looked like each year. That remains red with white collars and cuffs, white shorts and black socks with white/red trim. They don’t even have sponsors’ names on the shirt, for goodness sake! (I don’t think that would happen with us of course!) But, when you see them in action, as I have, that strip in indeed a thing of beauty. If Thistle fans do finally get some control at Firhill, it would be nice to think they would get some say over the design of the shirt, shorts and  socks, through a vote for alternatives. If Celtic can stick with their classic kit of green/white hoops every year, with minor modifications to shirts, socks and shorts, why can’t we with our colours and design?