Play Off Inverness

13 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Not much between the sides, hopefully on Friday there is a ref that remembers there are 2 teams on the pitch.

Got to agree FT, thought the ref was really poor, inconsistent and missed some obvious decisions.  Offside for their 1st goal was marginal but poor and akinola should have tracked for the 2nd goal too so all in all a bad night.  Still think we can win in Inverness but doubt either will be close to the premier next season.

Some of ICTs link up play in the final third is exactly what we are lacking unfortunately. 

Tiff and Graham played well, thought Banzo had a bit of a shocker to be honest.

Jakubiak is one of those infuriating players who is built to play football but doesn’t have a football brain at all !

Allegria will go on loan next season and bang in 20 goals for someone in the championship, I can just see it now. 

I thought we had won a watch when the boy Walsh got injured, he was really good for them in the first half. 

Not impossible to go through but I think that performance sums us up this season.  

It’s crazy to think that Ridgers and Devine are the make up of a team who are better than us, Sean Welsh is still a great player btw!

Don’t think we deserved to lose, bit of a kick in the baws that. Inverness looked decent with Walsh and Chalmers linking up then when Walsh went off we got a hold of the midfield a bit better. We scored then had a wee 5 min spell on top and didn’t jump on them. Then they subbed Walsh’s sub and brought on the boy upfront who worried us with his pace. Alegria’s sitter killed us then the sucker punch was always coming, it was like they had 12 men, there was always someone wining the first ball after we sclaffed it forward. Graham had a great touch for Crawford’s goal but otherwise was anonymous, Tiff didn’t beat his man all night, not sure if he’s still not fully fit or he doesn’t fancy taking on the full back on that pitch. Still not out of it but we don’t look like winning a game so anything other than a heavy defeat in Inverness will do me, end the season, have a clear out and go again next year.

Edited by jags on tour

Two pretty evenly matched teams with one able to take their chances.

We had a chance to really take a grip of the tie after we scored but did our usual retreat and invited them on to us before eventually losing a cheap goal.  Poor handling from Sneddon again, a shot he should be dealing with. 

Disagree on Tiffoney having a good game. Outwith a couple of promising runs he was largely anonymous, especially in the second half where he appeared to give up.

McCall’s subs were again ineffective and to a certain extent shows the imbalance in the squad he’s put together. 

Still in the tie but improvement needed, especially in midfield. Docherty was poor again tonight, takes far too long moving the ball around the pitch and was caught out again for their second goal. 

Just in from that, well that's our season over and out, what a contrast to end of last year..I was planning to go on Friday night but that's now what 14 games without scoring more than 1 goal so where are we suddenly going to score 2 or more from..So it's Friday night on the telly for me..

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

Just in from that, well that's our season over and out, what a contrast to end of last year..I was planning to go on Friday night but that's now what 14 games without scoring more than 1 goal so where are we suddenly going to score 2 or more from..So it's Friday night on the telly for me..

I take it away goals are a thing of the past like in other competitions?

1 hour ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

We didn’t have an out ball - need Mayo back on Friday, maybe Turner too. Will need quality delivery into the box. Graham wasn’t at it tonight & Tiff tried, but not much came off. Players also got, rightly, frustrated at the ref. Some downright bizarre decisions.

Still in it, need a big performance on Friday.

I think you are being generous with Graham- whether it’s a mixture of age and injury he hasn’t been at it for most of 2022.  A pale shadow of the player he was at the beginning of the season 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

Some of ICTs link up play in the final third is exactly what we are lacking unfortunately. 

Tiff and Graham played well, thought Banzo had a bit of a shocker to be honest.

Jakubiak is one of those infuriating players who is built to play football but doesn’t have a football brain at all !

Allegria will go on loan next season and bang in 20 goals for someone in the championship, I can just see it now. 

I thought we had won a watch when the boy Walsh got injured, he was really good for them in the first half. 

Not impossible to go through but I think that performance sums us up this season.  

It’s crazy to think that Ridgers and Devine are the make up of a team who are better than us, Sean Welsh is still a great player btw!

Graham played well seriously?  I thought it was one of his worst performances in a Thistle shirt - struggled to win anything and far too slow 

33 minutes ago, fenski said:

Caley Thistle while not great are a more balanced team. We haven't jelled as a team for months. Sooner we get this season over and start the rebuilding job required the better.

And it’s got to be rebuilding - none of this hanging onto players like foster at 36 because we might get one good year out of them carry on

5 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Graham played well seriously?  I thought it was one of his worst performances in a Thistle shirt - struggled to win anything and far too slow 

Fighting for balls all night on his own with a lack of support, he done a decent job of it. Maybe I’m being a bit overly supportive of him because allegria and jakubiak are our only other options. 

If he’s fighting for balls up to him and no one’s supporting then it’s pointless though, your right he didn’t win most but when he did jakubiak should be looking to pick them up, because apart from round around in circles he doesn’t really do a lot.

2 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Not much between the sides, hopefully on Friday there is a ref that remembers there are 2 teams on the pitch.

McLean is a terrible ref towards us. Probably get Willie Colum on Friday to cheer me up even more.

We looked good for 70 minutes and then lost belief for some reason.

Tiff didn't look interested and I hope there's no ulterior motive for that.

Not sure what was up with Bannigan either. The game seemed to pass him by, although maybe looked different at the game. Maybe he was blocking runs off the ball?

No fun watching this team.

10 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Graham and Tiff not at the races. I'm not sure they are fully fit tbh. Apart from the mistake I thought doc probably the best of a very average midfield. Still have a slim chance especially if we score first.

Really I thought Tiff was dangerous anytime he got on the ball, which was difficult because they clearly planned for him and doubled up on him. Graham fought for every ball also and no one was there to pick his loose balls up. Both of them were involved in our best football tonight .. Jakubiak is like a ghost, Banzo was absolutely terrible tonight. He was lucky Crawford burst a gut to make up for his mistake in the first half or ICT were in on goal.

I thought we looked decent up until the 60 minute mark. When ICT brought on Samuels it changed the game. It meant that our back 4 had to drop deeper as they became worried about his pace if the ball went over the top. That in turn created a space in front of our back 4 to play in and that's were both goals come from.

It also meant that Tiffoney dropped deeper and was less able to run at Carson who up until then was struggling with him and equally Crawford was less able to get forward on the right to support Jakubiak. In my opinion we had  to stick Foster on and play him as a sweeper to allow Holt and Akinola to hold the higher line.

I get why Jakubiak was taken off and it almost worked. By the time he came off we were no longer capable of attacking with width and it was about getting someone closer to Graham to pick up the scraps. Can't really blame McCall for a striker not hitting the target from less than 18 yards.

I wasn't expecting a great result tonight when I saw our back 4. We needed Foster at right back partly because the back four needed his experience and ability to organise but mainly because he doesn't look like bambi on ice when he has the ball at his feet. 

I don't think tonight's result is the worst. If ICT had won 3-1 the tie is over. If we had a lead to take to Inverness we would probably have tried to defend for 90 minutes and we're not good enough to do that. ICT now have a dilema. I don't think they are good enough to feel that they can shut us our for 90 minutes and if we do get a goal the momentum swings.

On a better surface in Inverness I think we will be a different proposition particularly if we can get Mayo and Foster back in defence and have Turner at least on the bench. Over 4 games this season there has been nothing between the teams and for some strange reason I think this will go to penalties.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fawlty Towers said:

To be fair he gave plenty of dodgy decisions against ICT as well. From start to finish the guy was absolutely shocking. Where in the name of Christ do they dig these retards up from.

Literally if they'd pulled a guy at random off the street with no interest in football he'd have done better. 

• Like 1

So ****** frustrating. Did as well for the first 60 mins and deserved to be in front. Then as per usual we shat our pants. As per usual we think defending a lead involves surrendering the midfield and falling back to our 18 yard line. 

There were individual errors but the real problem is we lack bottle. Nothing to lose on Friday, hopefully we grow a pair and get tore into them. 

Only 1 goal in it, the tie is still in the balance. I think we need to score first as i don't see us fighting back from 2 goals down.

Tonight, first half very cagey, we didn't build after going 1 up. Bad mistake from Sneddon for first goal, only defence for him would be the ball being slippy because of the rain, but he should've done better.

7 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

So ****** frustrating. Did as well for the first 60 mins and deserved to be in front. Then as per usual we shat our pants. As per usual we think defending a lead involves surrendering the midfield and falling back to our 18 yard line. 

There were individual errors but the real problem is we lack bottle. Nothing to lose on Friday, hopefully we grow a pair and get tore into them. 

I’d have brung Bell on, as much as I like Holt he is not an organiser at the back. He does his own job well. Team is screamer out for a leader at the moment. Bannigan was so disappointing tonight, Welsh was brilliant for ICT. And again Doch is Jekyl/Hyde through every game, one minute he’s brilliant the next he’s awful.