Play Off Inverness

Over the two legs we conceded 3 goals from mistakes and we couldn't take the chances we made, apart from the goal. Sneddon has had a good season, but his level has dropped,like others i feel he needs some competition.

I think St. Johnstone will still be in the premier league next season.

Edited by Auld Jag
St. Johnstone.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Over the two legs we conceded 3 goals from mistakes and we couldn't take the chances we made, apart from the goal. Sneddon has had a good season, but his level has dropped,like others i feel he needs some competition.

Every goal we lost was a mistake, I felt like Holt got winded when that ball smashed into him. And fair play he jumped up and got on with it because we are a goal behind. He should have stayed now for a few mins to get himself right 

57 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

I’m looking forward to next season.. I think Sneddon, Holt, Akinola, Brownlie, Milne, Bannigan, Docherty, Tiffoney, Dowds, look to be a good spine.. and if we can sign Mayo and Crawford plus another 6-7 that could be a team to challenge at the top. 
I’m not sure about Smith, Turner and McKenna.

Think the other loanees can go plus Bell, Foster and Murray. Might have missed a couple.

Turner has the highest number of assists in the division 

would be against us signing Crawford as he has done precious little since signing 

Bannigan will be here but not been impressed since January

40 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

Rudden situation ruined the season for me, feel like McCall was against it but never got to make the decision. It was late and January and we were left with very little options. 

Completely understand what your saying but I’m blaming the people above McCall for that one.

I agree I blame the directors for the Rudden fiasco and for the penny pinching regards to leaving us having to struggle about on the last day and ended up with Allegria and Jackubiak 

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

Turner has the highest number of assists in the division 

would be against us signing Crawford as he has done precious little since signing 

Bannigan will be here but not been impressed since January

Turner needs to bulk up a little, I agree with what most people have said our midfield is weak physically. But he brings a lot to the team, he actually has the ability to dictate a game when used properly!

Im going to apologise for this before I say it, Bannigans finished. Love the guy but he’s done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BowenBoys said:

The season ended with one knackered, ageing striker plus two loanees with one goal between them. A situation overseen by three managers.

You are 9 items away from a 12 Days of Thistle Christmas!

Edited by ChiThistle
Sandy was quicker

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Disappointed we got nothing from tonight's game but not too disappointed that we'll miss out on promotion. I actually quite enjoyed the game so it was worth the journey. Two positives for me. Thought Tunji was more like his old self & Turner was excellent in a more central role. Funny that.

Always glad to hear from posters that were at the game. Too many armchair experts on forums these days.

On 5/5/2022 at 3:55 AM, Auld Jag said:

As i left the John Lambie stand last night i noticed the ICT players celebrating with their fans. I thought the amount of celebrating was a bit ott as the match is really only at half time. Our players should not need any extra motivation, but i hope that somebody from our club noticed it and lets the players know.

The ICT players simply knew that the job was already done.

25 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

If McCall thinks we have 14 players capable of competing to win promotion in this squad now next season he can walk. We didn’t even have 14 players worthy of a jersey today to win a game. Smith, Bell, Foster, McKenna,  Hendrie, Crawford, Murray and Bannigan plus all loan signings can go now.

We look like a really tired team and have done since February.

The core of the team (Sneddon, Brownlie, Mayo, Akinola, Holt, Bannigan, Docherty, Turner, Crawford, Tiffoney and Graham) is ok but they have all been overplayed because we don't have anyone else capable of sharing the burden. 

Don't think we can go into next season with Docherty, Bannigan and Graham as automatic first picks. We need to start to build a midfield around Crawford and Turner.

I notice McCall thinks he has 13/14 players capable of winning the league but I count 10. Assuming Mayo returns thats 11 and Milne plus Dowds make 13. 

There's a few players that need to be thanked for their efforts and moved on such as Bell, Foster and Hendrie. Hendrie only by virtue of us signing a younger replacement

There are a few players that haven't been good enough and should be first out the door. I don't know how Jakubiak has played most of his career in the premier league. He is definitely not a striker and flatters to deceive in every game. Alegria got worse with every game and tonight was hopeless. Murray still looks like a wee boy trying to play a mans game. McKenna runs like a Giraffe being chased by lions. Smith seems to have the pace of a pensioner with covid.

Like others on this thread I am not too disappointed our season has ended and we will be in the championship next season. I prefer a further season of development and progress (hopefully) than struggling every week in the SPL.

However there are lessons we must learn and things we must put right.

IMC says we have the nucleus of a team that can compete for the league title and win promotion  so IMO he must do the following:

- find another first team goalkeeper to challenge Sneddon -  he is a good keeper and will get better but he needs more competition to help him keep his edge

- I like Foster and have come to like Hendrie but If we want to play with attacking wing backs  then  we need to find them and sign them; they need to have pace and be able to cross the ball.

- in Central defence we can play McKenna, Holt,  Akinola and Brownlie will be fit for next season; assuming Bell retires we need one more centre back.

'- midfield, we have to play Turner as a central midfielder and find some one  with a physical presence  who can break-up the opposition's attacks and win the ball to support him and stiffen our resolve in this area; Dochery can play on the left and Bannigan on the right as our wide midfielders (enabling them to shoot for goal with their best foot). The worry with my comments above is that there is no real pace in this midfield! We do though need a midfield that can controlled a game, dominate the opposition and create chances.

- strikers - we need them and they need to have composure, good first touch,  pace and an eye for goal we hame Graham, Tiffoney and perhaps McIver.

So who will leave - Mayo, Jakubiak  Firth and Alegria (will return to their clubs)

Who should we release   Smith,  Murray, 

Who should stay: Sneddon, McKenna  Brownlie, Holt, Akinola, , Turner, Docherty. McIver, Graham and Tiffoney (if we can hold onto him)

Not sure about, Foster,   Hendrie (depending on the desired style of play, ie wing backs or just full backs)  McAllister, Bannigan, Crawford, Niang, 

HAVE I MISSED ANYONE???

I would also like to see some young players from the Academy promoted to the first team pool  Stanway and the young player we sent out on loan - sorry can't recall his name.

The key considerations for me are that we need more pace in the squad and a more balanced squad that can attack (and defend)on both flanks as well as through the middle. We cannot continue to rely on one player, Tiffoney, to represent our attack.

That's all for now Folks!!!!

3 hours ago, Jag36 said:

Why McCall is still playing Alegria is unbelievable. Thats a sackable offense right there.  May as well just play with 10 men....

Aren't you being a little unfair on poor Alegría? For his final appearance, he actually managed to get a referee to give a free kick after throwing himself to the ground - the peak of his achievements while playing for us. :whistling:

23 minutes ago, Metz said:

If McCall thinks we have 14 players capable of competing to win promotion in this squad now next season he can walk. We didn’t even have 14 players worthy of a jersey today to win a game. Smith, Bell, Foster, McKenna,  Hendrie, Crawford, Murray and Bannigan plus all loan signings can go now.

McCall has to say things like that when he's in front of the camera - he's being kind to people he knows have done their best. He also has to talk positive, so he has a budget to recruit new players with. Don't believe for a minute what he says in post match interviews is his fullest and frankest assessment of the state of the squad. It's the same in in any line of work - those that work with the players day in, day out, know who they should be keeping and who has to go.

The squad had very obvious limitations this year and that maybe is no surprise given where we came from - the run of clean sheets earlier in the season maybe obscured this. But the biggest thing that dented our ability to play football was that bloody pitch. I really hope that it gets sorted properly during the close season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Like others on this thread I am not too disappointed our season has ended and we will be in the championship next season. I prefer a further season of development and progress (hopefully) than struggling every week in the SPL.

IMC says we have the nucleus of a team that can compete for the league title and win promotion  so IMO he must do the following:

- find another first team goalkeeper to challenge Sneddon -  he is a good keeper and will get better but he needs more competition to help him keep his edge

- I like Foster and have come to like Hendrie but If we want to play with attacking wing backs  then  we need to find them and sign them; they need to have pace and be able to cross the ball.

- in Central defence we can play McKenna, Holt,  Akinola and Brownlie will be fit for next season; assuming Bell retires we need one more centre back.

'- midfield, we have to play Turner as a central midfielder and find some one  with a physical presence  who can break-up the opposition's attacks and win the ball to support him and stiffen our resolve in this area; Dochery can play on the left and Bannigan on the right as our wide midfielders (enabling them to shoot for goal with their best foot). The worry with my comments above is that there is no real pace in this midfield! We do though need a midfield that can controlled a game, dominate the opposition and create chances.

- strikers - we need them and they need to have composure, good first touch,  pace and an eye for goal we hame Graham, Tiffoney and perhaps McIver.

So who will leave - Mayo, Jakubiak  Firth and Alegria (will return to their clubs)

Who should stay: Sneddon, McKenna  Brownlie, Holt, Akinola, , Turner, Docherty. McIver, Graham and Tiffoney (if we can hold onto him)

Not sure about, Foster,   Hendrie (depending on the desired style of play, ie wing backs or just full backs)  McAllister, Bannigan, Crawford, Niang, 

HAVE I MISSED ANYONE???

I would also like to see some young players from the Academy promoted to the first team pool  Stanway and the young player we sent out on loan - sorry can't recall his name.

The key considerations for me are that we need more pace in the squad and a more balanced squad that can attack (and defend)on both flanks as well as through the middle. We cannot continue to rely on one player, Tiffoney, to represent our attack.

I’d love to hear opinions on Hendrie, he’s been pretty solid since his run in the team. Player of the season was Holt for me, not a genuine centre back but had been very consistent!

2 minutes ago, fenski said:

McCall has to say things like that when he's in front of the camera - he's being kind to people he knows have done their best. He also has to talk positive, so he has a budget to recruit new players with. Don't believe for a minute what he says in post match interviews is his fullest and frankest assessment of the state of the squad. It's the same in in any line of work - those that work with the players day in, day out, know who they should be keeping and who has to go.

The squad had very obvious limitations this year and that maybe is no surprise given where we came from - the run of clean sheets earlier in the season maybe obscured this. But the biggest thing that dented our ability to play football was that bloody pitch. I really hope that it gets sorted properly during the close season.

Man needs a holiday, hope he has a great one. That interview was decent, and a fair assessment of the season! Tell you one thing we have a valuable asset in our squad again ! Tiffoney will go to a English championship team and stroll it.

59 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

HAVE I MISSED ANYONE???

Mciver has already been released and it looks like Tiffoney will be sold

Interested to hear why we should have kept mciver though given he failed to score a single goal this season 

Edited by Third Lanark

1 hour ago, Thistle88 said:

Man needs a holiday, hope he has a great one. That interview was decent, and a fair assessment of the season! Tell you one thing we have a valuable asset in our squad again ! Tiffoney will go to a English championship team and stroll it.

Really?  I watched a fair bit of League One this season and thought - at best - he’s bottom-to-mid tier League One right now.  Seems inconsistent to me, but maybe it’s down to our style of play this season.

51 minutes ago, ChiThistle said:

Really?  I watched a fair bit of League One this season and thought - at best - he’s bottom-to-mid tier League One right now.  Seems inconsistent to me, but maybe it’s down to our style of play this season.

In a better Team I reckon he’d stroll it. He is great to watch at times. Even when he was doubled up on tonight he was beating his men. 

He isn’t shy for getting back and helping the defence out either but I don’t want him to do it. I want him to be as high as possible up the pitch when we’ve lost the ball and win it back. Better teams with better defence/midfield he goes and does what he’s good at! 

He is still young and if he can improve on his shooting when cutting inside then he will end up at quite a big club. That’s my opinion anyway. 

And I will be honest I’ve not watched much Leauge1 football but I really do think Tiff will go onto bigger things if he can improve his end product. Had a few guys on toast tonight several times.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Mciver has already been released and it looks like Tiffoney will be sold

Interested to hear why we should have kept mciver though given he failed to score a single goal this season 

Tiffoney will be sold ? Who said this. Say it isn’t so? 

Not sure about Bannigan.  He tends to slow play down, and is a bit like a latter day Paul McStay - runs round with the ball for a while then makes a 5 yard square pass he could have made at the start.  Maybe he needs quicker and quicker witted men around him.