League Cup 2022-23

elevenone

On 7/24/2022 at 9:03 AM, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Well, of course, there’s bigger things than ‘football’ to worry about if that’s what you mean, in the UK and worldwide. (?)

But, as this is a football site and in particular a Thistle-supporting one at that, surely any issues pertaining to PTFC, affecting their success in football competition IS worthy of mention and discussion? 

And, in terms of the Scottish League Cup, which has been Thistle’s BIGGEST concern for the last few weeks and Thistle’s last four matches., I think that rival clubs gaining advantage in that same competition SHOULD be a concern. 

You seem to have a problem with the WAY I write (in particular) and have commented on it TWICE now, since I joined. Why is that? I haven’t seen you doing so with any OTHER  writers? There are people commenting on this site of clearly different levels of writing ability, incl. spelling, punctuation and grammar. And, often people incl. me make mistakes because we’re just keen to SAY something. But, it DOESN’T matter, because THIS is a site about PTFC and related subjects NOT a test of literary expertise. 

I use CAPITALS in words for emphasis, particularly in longer written pieces. Communication is mainly about making thoughts,  ideas and opinions clear. Anything, that HELPS that process, I would suggest is fair enough. Is it because you are an ex-teacher, lecturer or expert on the written word? Is it because you’re trying to live up to your ‘cartoon- nom de plume’? Or is it for some other reason, you reserve your thoughts on this matter JUST for me?

I was implying that there were bigger things to worry about as a Thistle supporter - Fan ownership, the decaying state of Firhill, what does Cammy Smith have to do to get dropped. The list is endless, but the format of the league cup is way down the agenda. Fact is that most sports events are rigged in favour of the big names. It;s what the TV broadcasters want and while an underdog may get good publicity, they wouldn't want that every year. In sports like tennis, the top 32 seeds go into Wimbledon and the rest go through qualifying. Snooker has a similar set up. rugby and cricket also have teams that need to go through qualifying stages to reach the main event. Perhaps if the league cup group stages were called qualifying round then it might be  a better way of looking at it. Further up the tree, you will find Rangers and Celtic complaining that they have to play more games than others in the Champions League. It is just the way of the sporting world and little is going to change that.

As for capitals, I find it childish and immature that you think you (and others who use them) think they need to shout. I switch off when I see them and end up not reading whatever it was they think they need to shout about. It's not just me, others have mentioned it. Providing you know that it defeats the purpose you were intending, fine, but just know that me and others will have stopped reading.  

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

As for capitals, I find it childish and immature that you think you (and others who use them) think they need to shout. I switch off when I see them and end up not reading whatever it was they think they need to shout about. It's not just me, others have mentioned it. Providing you know that it defeats the purpose you were intending, fine, but just know that me and others will have stopped reading.  

Really? It doesn't really look like it.

And who are the others whose opinion you are stating as fact?

PS: I'm also no fan of needless caps, but sometimes they help to emphasize, which can be otherwise difficult in printed text.