Sign in to follow this  
denismcquadeno.eleven

Stop The Clock I Want To Get Off!

In the English Premier League the average time the ball remains in actual play is (apparently) 55 minutes 3 seconds. And this, is down on what the average was ten years ago. More and more teams are taking to time-wasting, negative tactics in the present era, which spoils the spectacle for fans paying high prices to attend, as well as short-changing them. And, then there are all the other stoppages. The game is supposed to last 90 minutes, but more than a third of it is lost, on average, despite time being added on at the end of matches by referees. And it is likely to be much the same in Scotland. Eg Last night, Real Madrid came back from being behind on aggregate to Man City, with two goals in added time. They then got a penalty during extra time and after that was converted, proceeded to ‘manage the game’ or ‘run down the clock’ (wasting as much time as possible. They have rightly been praised for their come-back but criticised for the latter behaviour.

If a stop clock was introduced it would take the time-keeping element out of the referee’s hands. If, eg the game was played and the stop clock was timed to run for 60 minutes (30 mins each half) or 70 (35 mins each half) it would start as soon as the game kicked off. As soon as eg the ball went out of play, throw ins, corners, injuries were being treated, substitutes were made or the game stopped for referee decision-making  or aspects during a match not involving playing football, the  clock would be stopped. The clock would run for the appointed time and it would be the same for all matches. The top tiers might have fancy time-keeping but a stop watch doesn’t cost much. It could be operate anywhere. The paying customer would be guaranteed their money’s worth and the players would know they had to play for a full eg 60 or 70 minutes, so they might as well try to score a goal, rather than messing about and losing possession. Comments?

Edited by denismcquadeno.eleven
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, scotty said:

Why 60 or 70 minutes? Play for 90!

Well, 60 or 70 have been put forward in the past when this aspect has been raised. . But, if the basic principle of this way of measuring time in a match was accepted, the decision about “how long” could be sorted out/negotiated between the various governing bodies, clubs, players’ representative organisations. 

50 minutes ago, scotty said:

Why 60 or 70 minutes? Play for 90!

That would be a big change for the match day experience as the game would actually take well over 2 hours, not including HT. 

I’ve always been in favour of a stop clock myself, 60 minutes duration

Dreadful idea.

Won't actually save time.

Our referees aren't competent enough to apply the stopping of the clock for fouls consistently.

Time-wasting and bamming up the other team is part of the entertainment.

You would be trading one evil for a bigger one.  Ever watch an NBA game or an NFL game?
The last two minutes can literally take 20 minutes in real time.

Espn did a study during the last World Cup that the amount of time added on to an average game should be in the10-13 minute range.

I would make some adjustments (no sustitutions in added time; goalkeepers have to release the ball in x seconds) but I think wholesale we have accepted the game as is

No sport is perfect - just have to accept it

i appreciate the thread though.    Thanks

20 hours ago, Cfirejkl said:

You would be trading one evil for a bigger one.  Ever watch an NBA game or an NFL game?
The last two minutes can literally take 20 minutes in real time.

Espn did a study during the last World Cup that the amount of time added on to an average game should be in the10-13 minute range.

I would make some adjustments (no sustitutions in added time; goalkeepers have to release the ball in x seconds) but I think wholesale we have accepted the game as is

No sport is perfect - just have to accept it

i appreciate the thread though.    Thanks

Trnd to agree. I think the laws are probably sufficient as they are BUT referees must be told to enforce them and book players who waste time (Goalkeepers are particularly guilty falling on the ball and lying there or going from one side of the 6 yard box to the other to take goal kicks ).  The other option is to insist throw ins are taken within say 30 seconds or the throw in goes to the other team. Watching St Johnstone under Tommy Wright in particular was ball achingly painful because of their time wasting. 

Edited by fifexile

Football legislators are their own worst enemy. Virtually everything they introduce has a down side. They could save time by reverting to the rule that goal-kicks must be taken from the side of the goal where the ball went past (as decided by the ref if necessary). The paying public are being cheated week in week out as keepers stroll the width of the 6-yard box to place the ball.  

The only positive to come out of Covid is the introduction of the multi-ball system. It has stopped time being wasted retrieving the match ball. On the down side the yardage being "stolen" at throw-ins has increased as it now seems obligatory to take a throw in from where the nearest ball is available.

The elapsed time from kickoff to final whistle would be unpredictable and therefore difficult for TV companies to schedule. This is why it will never happen.

2 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

Football legislators are their own worst enemy. Virtually everything they introduce has a down side. They could save time by reverting to the rule that goal-kicks must be taken from the side of the goal where the ball went past (as decided by the ref if necessary). The paying public are being cheated week in week out as keepers stroll the width of the 6-yard box to place the ball.  

The only positive to come out of Covid is the introduction of the multi-ball system. It has stopped time being wasted retrieving the match ball. On the down side the yardage being "stolen" at throw-ins has increased as it now seems obligatory to take a throw in from where the nearest ball is available.

Funny how the multi-ball thingy seems to disappear when the home side is winning.

Agree with your points about paying public being cheated.

Interesting discussion.

I kind of agree with https://www.wearethistle.net/forums/index.php?/profile/53-lady-isobel-barnett/&wr=eyJhcHAiOiJmb3J1bXMiLCJtb2R1bGUiOiJmb3J1bXMtY29tbWVudCIsImlkXzEiOjE0NjIyLCJpZF8yIjozODQ0ODh9''

That a team that is winning tends to work the time down.

I 'd kind of expect them to do that, no matter how annoying I find it.

Chacun a son gout.

15 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Funny how the multi-ball thingy seems to disappear when the home side is winning.

Agree with your points about paying public being cheated.

Ha ha, remember it being an important part of wee Bertie’s game plan, to pull in all the ball boys whenever we went a goal up