Transfer Targets? Who we getting in and who would you fancy that’s out of contract.

Thistle88

50 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

I remember writing a piece about Welsh and how we should never have let him go etc.

Someone responded by saying 'thanks for that Sean'. Lol.

The best player we've let go in many a year.

I think Jack Hendrie, Liam Lindsay and Kevin Nisbet might be ahead of him, but I take your point

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CotterJag said:

I remember writing a piece about Welsh and how we should never have let him go etc.

Someone responded by saying 'thanks for that Sean'. Lol.

The best player we've let go in many a year.

I don't think we actually let Welsh go. I seem to recall Archibald clarifying the position with Welsh. He said Welsh, who was in and out of the team at that time, approached him seeking assurances that he would get more game time and Archibald's response was that he couldn't  give such assurances.  Welsh then said he wanted to leave!

My recollection might be inaccurate but regardless I fall into the camp of those who regret his leaving. With Welsh in midfield we actually had a midfield that could dominate the opposition.

6 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I don't think we actually let Welsh go. I seem to recall Archibald clarifying the position with Welsh. He said Welsh, who was in and out of the team at that time, approached him seeking assurances that he would get more game time and Archibald's response was that he couldn't  give such assurances.  Welsh then said he wanted to leave!

My recollection might be inaccurate but regardless I fall into the camp of those who regret his leaving. With Welsh in midfield we actually had a midfield that could dominate the opposition.

Think Sean’s contract was up and we didn’t offer him another one , he had been injured for a lot of the time and there was also some sort of blood disorder going on as well .

Would take him back now though .

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Think Sean’s contract was up and we didn’t offer him another one , he had been injured for a lot of the time and there was also some sort of blood disorder going on as well .

Is he not getting on a bit now, though ? 

2 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

As I remember it, Sean had a long term injury that lasted about a couple of years. Not sure how accurate that is but he was out of action for ages. I do remember the recurring joke about another 6 weeks. I'm reasonably sure his contact was extended during this period when everyone thought he was a cert to be let go. 

When he did return he struggled initially but gradually got back to form. The last 3 months of that season I distinctly remember thinking he was playing the best football of his career at Thistle and was the best player in the team. Others might agree with that assessment but he was definitely on form. 

Then at the end of that season Archie released him. It was the single most baffling, inexplicable series of actions from a manager I can think of. 

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I see Killie have let a few players go - anybody on that list that would fit our needs ? 

I don't really know but I strongly imagine McInnes will be able to gauge who has premiership quality and who doesn't. I always have this fear that McCall will build a squad built on 2nd tier sustainability as opposed to premiership potential. Or put another way, over emphasis on the former. In his two spells with us I feel that's been fairly obvious. Players with top tier quality like Doolan, Harkins & Erskine have been too few and far between.

Not saying that we don't require division experience and I'm sure there'll be players released from Killie that will provide that quality. Just with me it's a question of emphasis.

18 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I don't really know but I strongly imagine McInnes will be able to gauge who has premiership quality and who doesn't. I always have this fear that McCall will build a squad built on 2nd tier sustainability as opposed to premiership potential. Or put another way, over emphasis on the former. In his two spells with us I feel that's been fairly obvious. Players with top tier quality like Doolan, Harkins & Erskine have been too few and far between.

Not saying that we don't require division experience and I'm sure there'll be players released from Killie that will provide that quality. Just with me it's a question of emphasis.

It’s a tricky balancing act for championship clubs, build a squad to get promoted or build a squad with premiership quality players.

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

It’s a tricky balancing act for championship clubs, build a squad to get promoted or build a squad with premiership quality players.

Agree entirely.

I was going to mention the 12/13 squad as being the template but even then I feel we may just have missed out under McNamara. Most of the key players in that squad handled the step up well. We only lost Paton and Erskine (temporarily) from that group. Others like Steven Craig, Thug Murray, Archie (player), Andy Dowie, maybe even David Rowson all steadied the ship on and/or off the park. By and large it's that sort of blend of premiership potential, championship nous and overall experience I feel we should be aiming at.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

27 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Agree entirely.

I was going to mention the 12/13 squad as being the template but even then I feel we may just have missed out under McNamara. Most of the key players in that squad handled the step up well. We only lost Paton and Erskine (temporarily) from that group. Others like Steven Craig, Thug Murray, Archie (player), Andy Dowie, maybe even David Rowson all steadied the ship on and/or off the park. By and large it's that sort of blend of premiership potential, championship nous and overall experience I feel we should be aiming at.

It took a while for even that group to establish itself,though. Let’s not forget that it wasn’t until the 2nd last game ? at Tyncastle that we were eventually safe in that 1st season. And that was a league without Rangers and a Hearts team that started with a points deduction.  I really think our strategy will depend on the state of our finances.
The above, I suppose, is my way of saying that I think we should be building a team to get promoted 

So we have. 

Goalkeepers- Sneddon

RBs- No one

CBs- Brownlie, Akinola, Holt

LBs- Milne,(Holt)

Cm- Bannigan, Docherty, Turner, Lyon, Crawford

AttMid- Smith,Tiffoney

Str- Graham, Dowds

Anyone actually hear much about how Lyon done at Stenny? Or how Owens and Ocholi got on?

Big job to do, Think getting Crawford in is a waste ! Especially if he’s looking to give Lyon or Owens a chance. We need an out and out dirty player who wins the ball for next season. One things clear from what we have, we need pace badly !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Muscat Jag said:

As I remember it, Sean had a long term injury that lasted about a couple of years. Not sure how accurate that is but he was out of action for ages. I do remember the recurring joke about another 6 weeks. I'm reasonably sure his contact was extended during this period when everyone thought he was a cert to be let go. 

When he did return he struggled initially but gradually got back to form. The last 3 months of that season I distinctly remember thinking he was playing the best football of his career at Thistle and was the best player in the team. Others might agree with that assessment but he was definitely on form. 

Then at the end of that season Archie released him. It was the single most baffling, inexplicable series of actions from a manager I can think of. 

Im sure he wanted the guarantee of more gametime and Archie said he couldn't give him that. IIRC there were no hard feelings on either side.

44 minutes ago, jags on tour said:

From the Ex Jags page I’d be looking at Jack McMillan from Livvy,  decent big player, but thinking would he be a starter at centre back? I just hope Brownlie isn’t another Tam O’Ware and doesn’t get back to his old self after a bad injury. 

Jack was a right back im pretty sure

Predicting a return for Christie Elliot, just got a feeling. Out of contract and not been playing for Dundee.

Mostly thinking this will happen because there’s usually a Utility player at the back, with foster leaving it had left that gap. I personally don’t think we should bring him back. But I just have a feeling he will be.

Edited by Thistle88

52 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

Predicting a return for Christie Elliot, just got a feeling. Out of contract and not been playing for Dundee.

Mostly thinking this will happen because there’s usually a Utility player at the back, with foster leaving it had left that gap. I personally don’t think we should bring him back. But I just have a feeling he will be.

I hope we don’t and would be completely underwhelmed if we did to be honest 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

I hope we don’t and would be completely underwhelmed if we did to be honest 

Genuinely just a feeling I’ve got, hope I’m wrong having said that can play right back and left back. As a back up player with a first choice RB signed up, would he be such a bad person to have ?

18 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

Genuinely just a feeling I’ve got, hope I’m wrong having said that can play right back and left back. As a back up player with a first choice RB signed up, would he be such a bad person to have ?

I think we can do better and while some players would be useful to go back too I don’t think he is one.

Where did you see the rumour mate?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thistle88 said:

Personally, if he's the same player that left us, I'd be happy. I always thought him underrated for us (I think largely because he was recruited as a striker and therefore often unfairly looked upon as a stop-gap right back). However, I always thought he was a perfectly adequate RB for the premier, so would be good for this division. He also had pace and attacking attributes which could stretch a game. His crossing wasn't the best, but I don't think it was as bad as often made out (well, insofar as I think the vast majority of crosses don't make their man at our level). It's just that he regularly got into crossing positions (laudable in itself), so it was more noticeable that he was often missing his man.

I've no idea if he's regressed for any reason (age and/or injury) since he left which of course would put a different complexion on things.

The plus side re Elliott is we know roughly what he can do and that we'll get 100% out of him. I'm hoping we sign an attacking right fullback/wingback to compliment Milne on the other flank. Christie would be good cover for that position as he gets up and down the pitch with ease.

Think tho' it would be a bit like Sena insomuch as we probably couldn't guarantee Elliott getting a game. He may want to go to a club where he'd be a first choice. If I mind he's got academic qualifications (surveying?) so he may prefer going  to a part time club.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I think we can do better and while some players would be useful to go back too I don’t think he is one.

Where did you see the rumour mate?

It honestly isn’t even a rumour, I was bored earlier and had a look at who was out of contract in the premier league and it just caught my eye.  Especially his lack of playing time(15 games this season)

I’m not actually sure if he was a McCall or JMac signing? Just with no right backs at the club and with foster leaving, he sort of fits the utility man Role at the back. Hope I’m wrong mate just doesn’t seem unlikely to me lol.

Edited by Thistle88