Transfer Targets? Who we getting in and who would you fancy that’s out of contract.

Thistle88

3 hours ago, sandy said:

Elliot could still do a job for us. 

Please Sandy no - how many goals did he cost us in his last season with us.  He was a nightmare.  He did us a service 8 or 9 years ago certainly but wasn’t really a key player.  Dundee fans say he is not good enough.  Signing him to me would be a mediocre signing a sign if mid table.  

We need to be challenging for the top and not running cap in hand to players who’s best days are behind them.  Far younger and better out there.   

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, laukat said:

I would take Elliott back as a squad player. His versality was really his key strength but he was never a first choice starter in any position.

His best attribute was his pace and given he is about 31 I doubt this will be to the same standard as before 

I would think we would need to spend a good wage securing his services.  Can we really afford that if it meant missing out on someone like Tumilty? 
Too me sticks out as too much of a jobs for the boys signing.  Fox was a key part of the 2012/13 promotion season as was balatoni and ATS all of whom are way past their best and I would argue that they all contributed more than Elliot arguably.

Too me spending unnecessary money on Elliot Would be indicative of us looking at mid table while a more ambitious and better signing such as Tumilty or McMillan would be more indicative of a team assembling a decent side going for promotion 

4 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Why?  Guy isn’t good enough for Dundee why would we be looking at him - we owe him nothing.

maybe a league one side like Falkirk but we should be doing better 

Guys who weren't "good enough" for us often go on to do much better than they did with us.

12 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Please Sandy no - how many goals did he cost us in his last season with us.  He was a nightmare.  He did us a service 8 or 9 years ago certainly but wasn’t really a key player.  Dundee fans say he is not good enough.  Signing him to me would be a mediocre signing a sign if mid table.  

We need to be challenging for the top and not running cap in hand to players who’s best days are behind them.  Far younger and better out there.   

You could be right, I was thinking more of what he could add in terms of positive dressing room influence and as an impact sub.

I don’t have any inside knowledge, but I do wonder if McCall would see his release as an opportunity especially if his budget is limited?

7 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Guys who weren't "good enough" for us often go on to do much better than they did with us.

Some have in recent times, but I wouldn't say 'often'. In many cases players have played their best football while at us, especially during Lambie era's

As a rule I prefer not to sign former players.

When he was with us  I liked Christie Elliot and didn't see the liability that was apparent to others on this thread. I saw a hard working, genuine player who was made club captain and who always played for the Team and the Jersey. However I agree that our aspirations should be higher and although he might do well for us it sends out the wrong signals to sign a player discarded by one of the teams who next season will be one of our main challengers.

One point with which  I am in total agreement is that we shouldn't  sign McDaid. I never rated him.

He’s a handy player to have in the squad and I think he’s solid enough do to a job filling in if our First choice LB/RB aren’t available. Certainly wouldn’t take him as a starter but as a squad player I think he’s an improvement on we had last season.

Ive got a feeling it will be McMillan who comes in rather than Elliot though. 

Repeating myself but if we're planning on playing attacking fullbacks/wingbacks then I reckon Christie would be a useful squad player. Obviously Milne fits the role of attacking fullback down the left. Of course McCall has previous of playing lopsided formations. So if he's planning playing an orthodox fullback then we've already got Muirhead as a squad player. He just might be wanting to play Milne as an attacking right midfielder.  Either of those options then Elliott may not be worth signing. 

Elliot's best period for us wasn't when he played regularly. His best position was either on the bench or filling in for a regular being out for a game or two. He was a guy who give a 6/10 performance in any position on the park we needed. Players with degree of versatility are great if you have a budget. Quite sure when we were toiling for a right winger or striker that Elliot would have filled the gap better than Smith, Alegria or Murray.

However I agree with the general sentiment that Elliot being signed as first choice wingback or rightback wouldn't inspire much confidence in our ambitions. If its a first choice right back/wingback I would rather sign McMillan

1 hour ago, Thistle88 said:

He’s a handy player to have in the squad and I think he’s solid enough do to a job filling in if our First choice LB/RB aren’t available. Certainly wouldn’t take him as a starter but as a squad player I think he’s an improvement on we had last season.

Ive got a feeling it will be McMillan who comes in rather than Elliot though. 

What makes you think it would be McMillan rather than Elliot?

35 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Didn't see either leg but did Welsh not play at centreback in the first game?

Aye he sort of played sweeper sort of position, actually got moved into midfield after half time. They improved but don’t feel like Welsh was very good in both games. Another player that can dictate play when things are going well but can’t really handle pace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Didn't see either leg but did Welsh not play at centreback in the first game?

Oh you should watch the highlights of tonight’s game, the boy Rooney At Rwb was brilliant. Him and Hendry scored goals  that Benzema would be proud of.

Edited by Thistle88