Transfer Targets? Who we getting in and who would you fancy that’s out of contract.

Thistle88

33 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Can’t say I know anything about Brown other than he is a midfielder. Does anyone know what he would bring different to “the best midfield in the league” ?

Hopefully the end of a guaranteed start for Bannigan in every game even when he has played poorly?  Maybe not the need to have to sign Crawford? But these are likely wishful thinking 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Hopefully the end of a guaranteed start for Bannigan in every game even when he has played poorly?  Maybe not the need to have to sign Crawford? But these are likely wishful thinking 

To be fair, you don’t know he is going to play poorly when he starts.

7 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Can’t say I know anything about Brown other than he is a midfielder. Does anyone know what he would bring different to “the best midfield in the league” ?

Hi Dick, no idea what he would bring. Not heard anyone including McCall say we have the (best midfield) in the league. 

I did read McCall saying he thought our teams strongest department was our midfield, which when you look at our squad at the moment he is probably right about. 

10 hours ago, Thistle88 said:

Hi Dick, no idea what he would bring. Not heard anyone including McCall say we have the (best midfield) in the league. 

I did read McCall saying he thought our teams strongest department was our midfield, which when you look at our squad at the moment he is probably right about

Hard to tell if our midfield was our strongest area when our default ball out of defence was a blooter up the park. 

If true, it looks like McCall is up to his old tricks: https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/sport/football/rangers-kai-kennedy-james-maxwell-27108503https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/kai-kennedy-wanted-rangers-starlet-27105742 

Kai Kennedy hasn't scored more than one goal for any team he's played for and he's supposedly a striker. The other boy, James Maxwell has scored 5-times as many goals and he's a full-back. If McCall and the Board sign-off on more sh!tty Rangers loan deals, I don't think I will be renewing my season ticket. I even think Mayo is unbelievebly overrated by our fans. Just exemplifies how far our club has sunk. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

If true, it looks like McCall is up to his old tricks: https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/sport/football/rangers-kai-kennedy-james-maxwell-27108503https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/kai-kennedy-wanted-rangers-starlet-27105742 

Kai Kennedy hasn't scored more than one goal for any team he's played for and he's supposedly a striker. The other boy, James Maxwell has scored 5-times as many goals and he's a full-back. If McCall and the Board sign-off on more sh!tty Rangers loan deals, I don't think I will be renewing my season ticket. I even think Mayo is unbelievebly overrated by our fans. Just exemplifies how far our club has sunk. 

Hmm, that certainly got me thinking too...

If turning to Ibrox is the first option for us to try to put together a good team, then that is unacceptable. Especially with players who have clearly struggled to show that they are anything other than potential journeymen.  If a hopeful "wait and see" scenario is now the manager's philosophy, thenhe'll understand that potential season ticket buyers might also buy into that when it comes to parting with their cash up front. "Wait and see" might be the preferred option.

3 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Yep this would be madness.  Letting one of our young talents go (especially a striker) on a perma deal to take in more Ranger loanees is so far weighted to their benefit.  What’s the point of youth academy if this is the thinking.  Selling for decent money is only option we should be considering.

3 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Not sure how not renewing a season ticket which financially hurts the club is in any way helpful

4 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I’m not sure if Kennedy is more a winger than a striker but I can see your point.  Maxwell seems to be a decent player if we sign him.

if Christie Elliot signs il be a bit underwhelmed to say the least.  It will be a lazy signing when there are far better options 

1 minute ago, jags on tour said:

McCall said he thinks he has a signing tied up but can’t announce it yet, so wouldn’t think it’s a pre contract, could we have made a cash offer for someone but need to wait officially until the 1st of June until the new window?

I would have thought if he's waiting until 1st June its because the player is out of contract tomorrow rather than we are paying a transfer fee. 

I always thought pre-contracts could only be signed in a transfer window. If so does that mean Muirhead, Dowds and Milne were done deals in January but we couldn't announce them until each had finished their season with their respective clubs?

Can't see what the point of a PCA is if its signed a few weeks before a player is out of contract. Surely if all parties are keen they just wait until the players contract elapses

4 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I did think Kennedy was someone McCall was after in January to play on the right wing. I think he has potential and in theory he would provide balance if we play 4-3-3.

There isn't a glut of experience available wingers knocking about. Noticed Lawless has now set up a coaching academy similar to Doolan so maybe he is thinking about retirement? Chalmers at ICT looked a decent option but he's back at Dundee Utd and hoping to make a break through there. Kennedy has racked up a decent amount of games at this level and assuming we keep Tiffoney then Kennedy may progress better in a team that not all the creative expectation is on his shoulders

Maxwell is a bit stranger now we have signed Milne. Even stranger is his contract with Sevco expires shortly so why would be taking him on loan? If Sevco don't offer him a contract and we want him then why would he be part of any deal for Cooper?

That being said if Maxwell is coming on a permanent basis and is cheap enough it would mean we are well served for cover at leftback for several years so maybe its a bit of future proofing from McCall?

Overall it suggests to me that McCall wants a squad that is more flexible in formation and can move between 3-5-2 and 4-3-3.

3 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

I could NEVER understand why Ian McCall chose to bring Alex Jakubiak to Thistle, to replace Zak Rudden. Whatever, his other outfield skills he most certainly DID NOT have a previous record as a goal scorer. In fact, in the time he was at Firhill he scored only once! If you look at his ‘history’ between 2014-2022, he was on loan at 10 different clubs. (THAT should say something!) And at seven of those 10 teams he scored either one or zero goals, which added up to four goals at seven clubs! WHAT was the attraction of signing him? Was it just a coincidence his loan signing (and that of Alegria who didn’t score any goals) coincided with a huge slide in terms of results, performances and accumulation of points. I am  left thinking was the scenario that brought him to Thistle something like this:

I Mc: “Aye, well, that’s it all done and dusted son, you’re a Dundee player on loan, until the end of season and then you’ll join as a fully signed player.

ZR: “Thanks, Gaffer, Sorry, but I just didn’t feel very motivated any more, after signing that pre-contract. D’ya understand? I just needed to join them to help in the relegation battle. I am rarin’ to go now!

IMc: ”Ach, it’s alright, I know how it is. Anyway, we’re likely to get a young Gers’ player coming in on loan. From Columbia apparently. Have heard lots of good reports.

ZR: “Aw well, that’s good. Hope it all works out!”

I Mc: “Aye, so do I! But, I could do with another loan striker, just to be sure!”

Dundee Mgr (DM) : “ Well, we might be able to help you out there, Ian. We’d be able to let you have Alex Jakubiak till the end of the season. He’s got a lot of experience, been at a number of other clubs. Physically strong too. 

I Mc: “Well, it’d look better, if I can bring in two strikers fairly quickly. Shut down the fans moaning about Zak leaving. Are you really happy to let him come to Firhill to help in our promotion push?

DM: “Certainly Ian. It’s the least we can do, seeing you’ve smoothed the way to help Zak come here earlier. One good turn…as they say! I’ll just fetch him in from training so you can have a chat with him!

I Mc: “THANKS! It saves me havin’ to look elsewhere!

END  (in more ways than one!)

Nutshell! :happy2:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

I could NEVER understand why Ian McCall chose to bring Alex Jakubiak to Thistle, to replace Zak Rudden. Whatever, his other outfield skills he most certainly DID NOT have a previous record as a goal scorer. In fact, in the time he was at Firhill he scored only once! If you look at his ‘history’ between 2014-2022, he was on loan at 10 different clubs. (THAT should say something!) And at seven of those 10 teams he scored either one or zero goals, which added up to four goals at seven clubs! WHAT was the attraction of signing him? Was it just a coincidence his loan signing (and that of Alegria who didn’t score any goals) coincided with a huge slide in terms of results, performances and accumulation of points?  I am  left thinking was the scenario that brought him to Thistle something like this:

I Mc: “Aye, well, that’s it all done and dusted son, you’re a Dundee player on loan, until the end of season and then you’ll join as a fully signed player.

ZR: “Thanks, Gaffer, Sorry, but I just didn’t feel very motivated any more, after signing that pre-contract. D’ya understand? I just needed to join them to help in the relegation battle. I am rarin’ to go now!

IMc: ”Ach, it’s alright, I know how it is. Anyway, we’re likely to get a young Gers’ player coming in on loan. From Columbia apparently. Have heard lots of good reports.

ZR: “Aw well, that’s good. Hope it all works out!”

I Mc: “Aye, so do I! But, I could do with another loan striker, just to be sure!”

Dundee Mgr (DM) : “ Well, we might be able to help you out there, Ian. We’d be able to let you have Alex Jakubiak till the end of the season. He’s got a lot of experience, been at a number of other clubs. Physically strong too. 

I Mc: “Well, it’d look better, if I can bring in two strikers fairly quickly. Shut down the fans moaning about Zak leaving. Are you really happy to let him come to Firhill to help in our promotion push?

DM: “Certainly Ian. It’s the least we can do, seeing you’ve smoothed the way to help Zak come here earlier. One good turn…as they say! I’ll just fetch him in from training so you can have a chat with him!

I Mc: “THANKS! It saves me havin’ to look elsewhere!

END  (in more ways than one!)

You really think it was down to McCall we got Jakubiak?  It was penny pinching from the board, neither Jakubiak or Allegria were targets as you can probably see why they were only signed last minute.  The targets identified in January were not backed apart from Crawford 

Jakubiaks wage on loan was 90 per cent paid for by Dundee and pretty much all of Allegrias by Rangers.   The board in my opinion has escaped lightly with the fiasco of the January window.  Little backing meant we were onto absolutely desperate signings.  Though they thought we were going to get decent money for Rudden I guess which would have been used for the signings McCall had targeted 

• Like 2