Transfer Targets? Who we getting in and who would you fancy that’s out of contract.

Thistle88

5 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

You really think it was down to McCall we got Jakubiak?  It was penny pinching from the board.

The board in my opinion has escaped lightly with the fiasco of the January window.  Little backing meant we were onto absolutely desperate signings. 

What evidence do you have of ‘penny pinching from the board?’ - or is it just you trying to land more heat on the board given the current ownership debate?

By all means, have a pop at the board if it is deserved but I think you are really barking up the wrong tree with this one. 

4 minutes ago, G SUS said:

What evidence do you have of ‘penny pinching from the board?’ - or is it just you trying to land more heat on the board given the current ownership debate?

By all means, have a pop at the board if it is deserved but I think you are really barking up the wrong tree with this one. 

Why do you think he is barking up the wrong tree?

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

Doesn’t answer my point but carry on 

I think he did provide an answer.

It’s time we stopped this passive-aggressive tone on here. If you are trying to make a point, make it please and make it clearly. ‘Carry On’ is a series of films, not a way to end a post.

10 hours ago, G SUS said:

Tell you what if Jakuibiak and Allegria were anywhere near our top targets McCall deserves shot. I highly suspect neither player was any where near the top of our target list, I heard it from McCall at a meet the manager that one of our targets in January was a (striker)  joining on a full time basis.

That never happened, so I’m assuming the board were a part of us not getting who we wanted in. 

I don’t particularly enjoy getting loans in from, Celtic-Rangers. Mayo is probably the best I remember us having from Rangers and I think him and Holt were probably our most solid pairing at CB last season. Wouldn’t be against him coming back at all.

Kai Kennedy is highly rated at rangers but unless we are paying absolutely hee haw wage wise then it seems a waste, especially with how he get on last season in this division.

7 hours ago, sandy said:

I think he did provide an answer.

It’s time we stopped this passive-aggressive tone on here. If you are trying to make a point, make it please and make it clearly. ‘Carry On’ is a series of films, not a way to end a post.

You have an opinion and I have mine that’s what forums are but I’m not sure who elected you as moderator ?…...he did provide an answer just not to the point I made which is stopping buying a season ticket hurts the club financially and how does that help?

not sure your understanding of passive aggressive is correct 

14 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Why do you think he is barking up the wrong tree?

I think he was backed but didn’t spend his money wisely. 

He was able to add Crawford and McAllister early in the window, two Premiership players so there was clearly money there. 

There was talk in December of getting a player from Hibs(might have been evening times reporting it) and their change of manager maybe hindered that. The increase in subs in the Premiership mid-January also didn’t help as players who were bombed out and might have been good targets were suddenly back in the picture. 

The Rudden situation affected the entire window and is the sole reason we were weaker, we didn’t get an appropriate reinforcement, not down to the Board ‘penny pinching’ in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Thistle88 said:

Tell you what if Jakuibiak and Allegria were anywhere near our top targets McCall deserves shot. I highly suspect neither player was any where near the top of our target list, I heard it from McCall at a meet the manager that one of our targets in January was a (striker)  joining on a full time basis.

That never happened, so I’m assuming the board were a part of us not getting who we wanted in. 

I don’t particularly enjoy getting loans in from, Celtic-Rangers. Mayo is probably the best I remember us having from Rangers and I think him and Holt were probably our most solid pairing at CB last season. Wouldn’t be against him coming back at all.

Kai Kennedy is highly rated at rangers but unless we are paying absolutely hee haw wage wise then it seems a waste, especially with how he get on last season in this division.

I don’t dispute that Alegria and Jakubiak were nowhere near our top targets, but they were who we ended up with.

There are a number of reasons why transfers fall through, Aberdeen and St Mirren changed their managers, a club might change their mind last minute(I think this happened with the goalie situation) and the increased subs from mid January won’t have helped.

I said before I think he was backed but just spent his money poorly. He’s been really unfortunate that both right wingers(Hastie and McAllister - both of whom were on paper good signings, both flopped.)

His signings so far this summer have given me great encouragement and long May that continue.

Did think McMillan looked reasonable first time round, and If a Livingston reject proves to be anything near as effective as Tiffoney then I'll be chuffed.

Other side of the coin, hopefully I'm wrong, but a full back that can play centreback is unlikely to also be an attack minded fullback/wingback. So where does that leave Milne? Are we -planning to attack down the left side and defend down the right? McCall's got previous with that sort of imbalance and I'm not meaning last season's folly when we played without a wide right midfielder. 

Good tho' he was, Tiffoney was hampered last season by the opposition easily doubling up on him as we had no real threat from the other flank. Unless McCall is planning to play Milne as a wide right midfielder, which I really doubt, to play a balanced side it looks like we're still going to need an attacking midfielder playing wide right AND an attacking fullback. So please tell me McMillan will do the biz going forward as our other right back, Muirhead certainly can't. Christie Elliott can but even if we were to sign him, I doubt he's what you'd call a first team starter.

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Naw! He's pish. I have it on good authority the Mbappe said no to Real for us. No idea where he would fit in to our Glaslactios side.

By sheer coincidence I saw Mbappe in Edinburgh last night. He truly is world class. I'm talking about Etienne Mbappé the great electric bassist who was playing alongside arguably the greatest living guitarist, John McLaughlin. Most certainly didn't disappoint.    

5 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

By sheer coincidence I saw Mbappe in Edinburgh last night. He truly is world class. I'm talking about Etienne Mbappé the great electric bassist who was playing alongside arguably the greatest living guitarist, John McLaughlin. Most certainly didn't disappoint.    

Can he play centre mid?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Did think McMillan looked reasonable first time round, and If a Livingston reject proves to be anything near as effective as Tiffoney then I'll be chuffed.

Other side of the coin, hopefully I'm wrong, but a full back that can play centreback is unlikely to also be an attack minded fullback/wingback. So where does that leave Milne? Are we -planning to attack down the left side and defend down the right? McCall's got previous with that sort of imbalance and I'm not meaning last season's folly when we played without a wide right midfielder. 

Good tho' he was, Tiffoney was hampered last season by the opposition easily doubling up on him as we had no real threat from the other flank. Unless McCall is planning to play Milne as a wide right midfielder, which I really doubt, to play a balanced side it looks like we're still going to need an attacking midfielder playing wide right AND an attacking fullback. So please tell me McMillan will do the biz going forward as our other right back, Muirhead certainly can't. Christie Elliott can but even if we were to sign him, I doubt he's what you'd call a first team starter.

Understand your reservations & both his & Muirhead's signing are slightly underwhelming. I'll therefore try & put a positive spin on this. His loan spell suggests he will be an upgrade on Foster & McKenna. 

Sneddon

Mcmillan     Akinola     Holt   Milne 

Docherty   Turner  Bannigan

Dowds     Graham   Tiffoney

Decent enough looking starting 11 that. Definitely need another striker, at least one (winger,Attacking mid) for the right hand side. And midfield we couldn’t probably do with a nasty presence (ball winner) whatever you want to call it and I’m assuming Crawford will be the other one. And obviously another keeper.

Is the boy Lyon ready to step up yet? McCall seemed very confident he would be fighting for a starting place this season. I didn’t really hear how he got on with his loan spell.

Difficult to judge McMillan based on his spell under Caldwell. I have recollections of Caldwell playing him at leftback and centrehalf which didn't look like his natural position and it couldn't have been great for a young players confidence to be part of a defence that had McGinty, Elliot and Saunders as regulars or be able to show much attacking intent when the midfield protection was Bannigan, Slater and at times Harkins.

At 24 years old, having played a decent amount of games at a higher level and being a more natural rightback  you would think he would be a decent signing.

The defensive options look to be significantly stronger so far. We already have 4 centreback options with Akinola, Brownlie, Holt and Muirhead. Fullback options of Milne, McMillan with backup from Muirhead and Holt. Its hard not see how the business done so far isn't an upgrade on losing Bell, Foster, McKenna and Hendrie. If we get Mayo back that looks like a very decent defensive pool.

McCall says in his interview that he's looking for a squad of 21. Adding McMillan and the players on PCA's we have 14 players signed assuming my Maths is correct. You would wonder if Niang and Smith will still be here so we we've still got a lot of business to do.