Transfer Targets? Who we getting in and who would you fancy that’s out of contract.

Thistle88

Afraid I don't go along with the enthusiasm for the Lawless signing.

For a variety of reasons I have never really taken to him and think this could be a very bad signing.  A good footballer but I don't rate him as a person. I will not be surprised if the United dressing room feeling we have enjoyed under McCall starts to disappear!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Afraid I don't go along with the enthusiasm for the Lawless signing.

For a variety of reasons I have never really taken to him and think this could be a very bad signing.  A good footballer but I don't rate him as a person. I will not be surprised if the United dressing room feeling we have enjoyed under McCall starts to disappear!

I’m sure Alan Archibald knows more about him as a person than you do. Maybe McCall might have asked his opinion before signing him?

8 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

You can’t just leave it at this surely. I only know of him as a footballer and not his ‘character.’ What’s he done that leads you to condemn him “as a person”?

Seemingly he was a disruptive influence in our relegation season under Archie. Apparently the reason he didn't get a new deal.

1 hour ago, Thistle88 said:

I remember it differently to be honest pretty sure Lawless wasn’t playing as much on his last season because Archie preferred other players, I don’t think it had much to do with him being disruptive.

He was forced to play at LWB for a fair few games due to injury. While he was fairly ineffective he seemed to get on with it

1 hour ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Yes, but unless you know what went on, how can you make a fair judgement. He might have had a legitimate grievance and was upset at the time because it wasn’t being taken seriously. You can’t just cast an aspersion against somebody, based on one thing, which seems vague and unclear anyway. And, to be honest WHO was happy, during that particular season? You need something more ‘concrete’ than hearsay, surely. (My opinion, anyway). Players are flesh/blood, not machines. That season, when we lost home and away to Livingston without even scoring a goal, despite the play-offs being ‘loaded’  in favour of the top tier team surviving, has never been totally explained. Just as that ridiculous SAS-type army caper, that went wrong under Caldwell, never was, nor the fact that Doolan and Erskine were unceremoniously given the ‘order of the boot’ despite their long, excellent service. Mistakes have been made in the past by PTFC management at managerial and board level, but these are never explained and those in the boardroom and the CE usually stay in post. The team manager ‘takes the fall’ usually! If SL was eg dishonest, causing trouble for no good reason, taking drugs, drinking excessively etc that’s a different matter, of course. But, there has to be ‘evidence’ surely!

We took the lead early on in the first leg v Livvy but I take your points. There were players who performed to a much lower standard than Stevie Lawless that season

6 minutes ago, jaggy said:

He was forced to play at LWB for a fair few games due to injury. While he was fairly ineffective he seemed to get on with it

Exactly!  Lawless gave 100% while playing in an alien position.  His lack of physical presence was always going to a problem at LWB but it took Archie weeks to appreciate this.

Stevie never shirked this. It’s utter nonsense to question his attitude. If I was Stevie I’d have told the manager to stuff it. It was crass stupidity.

I’m hoping he can unlock the penalty box door which none of our midfielders managed last season so that we have an alternative attack strategy to Tiff.  Sure, he may be past his best but I’m looking forward to seeing his skills again which are way above the present incumbents.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jaggy said:

He fell out of favour early on that season, but as far as I can remember the only decent run of games we had was when we had injures and he got put to LWB. And yeah funnily enough he was actually one of the players that looked like he was giving 100%.

6 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Yes, but unless you know what went on, how can you make a fair judgement. He might have had a legitimate grievance and was upset at the time because it wasn’t being taken seriously. You can’t just cast an aspersion against somebody, based on one thing, which seems vague and unclear anyway. And, to be honest WHO was happy, during that particular season? You need something more ‘concrete’ than hearsay, surely. (My opinion, anyway). Players are flesh/blood, not machines. That season, when we lost home and away to Livingston without even scoring a goal, despite the play-offs being ‘loaded’  in favour of the top tier team surviving, has never been totally explained. Just as that ridiculous SAS-type army caper, that went wrong under Caldwell, never was, nor the fact that Doolan and Erskine were unceremoniously given the ‘order of the boot’ despite their long, excellent service. Mistakes have been made in the past by PTFC management at managerial and board level, but these are never explained and those in the boardroom and the CE usually stay in post. The team manager ‘takes the fall’ usually! If SL was eg dishonest, causing trouble for no good reason, taking drugs, drinking excessively etc that’s a different matter, of course. But, there has to be ‘evidence’ surely!

Look at my post. I used tge words 'apparently and ' seemingly' . Nowhere did I say he was disruptive. As for misdemeanours, what about his betting capers?

I know much has been said about Steven Lawless already but I don't think he was great the last 2 seasons with Thistle including our top 6 finish. I hope I am wrong but think he is going to be much the same type of player as Turner and Murray(I know he's left now). He won't add any pace to the team which we really need in the wide areas. Milne and Tiffoney I think will be good but really need a right back and right mid/winger with a bit of pace hope Mccall has a right back lined up and think fitzpatrick would be another good resigning

14 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

What doesn’t sit comfortably with me is Stevie’s very public views on the Old Firm. I know that most players in the squad will have their own preferences one way or the other, but Stevie has been very public with his.

When you say made public, do you mean on his (personal) Facebook account?

5 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I hope one of the 2 midfielders isn’t Crawford but no doubt it will be, I’m surprised we are looking for another CB though. We have Brownlie, Akinola, Muirhead and Holt who can all play There. Seems like quite a lot.