Transfer Targets? Who we getting in and who would you fancy that’s out of contract.

Thistle88

4 hours ago, Heppy C said:

I know much has been said about Steven Lawless already but I don't think he was great the last 2 seasons with Thistle including our top 6 finish. I hope I am wrong but think he is going to be much the same type of player as Turner and Murray(I know he's left now). He won't add any pace to the team which we really need in the wide areas. Milne and Tiffoney I think will be good but really need a right back and right mid/winger with a bit of pace hope Mccall has a right back lined up and think fitzpatrick would be another good resigning

Is the right back not McMillan?

On 6/16/2022 at 5:46 PM, exiledjag said:

Afraid I don't go along with the enthusiasm for the Lawless signing.

For a variety of reasons I have never really taken to him and think this could be a very bad signing.  A good footballer but I don't rate him as a person. I will not be surprised if the United dressing room feeling we have enjoyed under McCall starts to disappear!

What a lot of nonsense people talk in this forum , a football team is no different from any other business/ team and is made up of different characters .

Stevie’s flaws have been well documented ( gambling ) but that shouldn’t lead to a character assassination against him.

If Stevie Lawless gets the right players round about him and he replicates his Livi form with goals and assists, he’ll be a huge asset for us .

On 6/16/2022 at 7:53 PM, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Seemingly he was a disruptive influence in our relegation season under Archie. Apparently the reason he didn't get a new deal.

I’m usually sceptical about rumours. But seemingly this could be the case. 

12 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

What a lot of nonsense people talk in this forum , a football team is no different from any other business/ team and is made up of different characters .

Stevie’s flaws have been well documented ( gambling ) but that shouldn’t lead to a character assassination against him.

If Stevie Lawless gets the right players round about him and he replicates his Livi form with goals and assists, he’ll be a huge asset for us .

I agree with what you're saying.

Actually I also feel very uncomfortable discussing any addiction (or excesses that can lead to or appear as addiction) on a fans forum. The old adage "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" most certainly applies.

• Like 2

I see I have received quite a few pelters for my views about the signing of Stevie Lawless.

I have not responded to these not because I am avoiding the criticism but because I have not been able to access the website.

So my response and last word about Lawless is set out below.

Firstly I accept I should not have used the phrase "as a person" and therefore acknowledge this was clumsy and inappropriate. I meant to focus on his character.

Secondly I have acknowledged SL as a very good football player and often wondered why the form he showed in the SPFL at Livingston wasn't produced when at Firhill and in particular  during our top 6 season. It would have been impossible to keep any player playing the way SL did at Livingston out of any team.

As far as his character is concerned we don't need to know people personally to assess and therefore have opinions about character. We form opinions based on observation and their actions. With regard to SL there was the gambling issue, the situation at Motherwell and  other more general, perhaps even trivial, behaviours which suggested he wasn't, latterly committed to PTFC. I am not saying he was solely responsible for the above as I have always believed there are two sides to every story.

Putting all this together I have reservations about resigning him and clearly I am not the only one to think this.  However I will say that if he focuses on his football and plays to his potential then this could be a good signing and I will be happy to admit this.

However in the meantime I will reserve the right to be sceptical and will observe,  assess and wait to see how things develop.  

I don't intend to say anymore about SL  other than that I respect the views and  acknowledge the rights of his supporters to disagree with my opinions. I hope resigning him works out well for all parties because as a life long fan I don't want any player or the team/club to fail.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SteppsJag said:

Sena off to Hartlepool Utd. Good luck to the lad.

Paul Hartley was on the radio at the weekend saying he needed a lot of players and would inevitably be looking at Scottish league players because that's what he knows.

Hope it works out for him.