Transfer Targets? Who we getting in and who would you fancy that’s out of contract.

Thistle88

On 6/24/2022 at 1:26 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I agree with McCall re priorities being in other positions but that begs the question of why we signed the lad in the first place. The need to strengthen in other areas was even more evident back then. That right flank partnership of McKenna and Crawford was lucky if it was up to League Two standard. More it highlights the need to have adequate cover in all areas. Last season the right side attacking mid relied solely on Hastie then McAllister with no back up. 

We've got the goalkeeper and defence more or less well covered. Attacking central midfield likewise. We lack an understudy for Tiffoney and player with pace down the right wing. I think Fitzpatrick could be a useful signing as he can cover a few attacking options. With the likes of Lawless and Graham in the squad we need to compensate with genuine pace.

Seemingly the searing pace of 38yr old Chris Burke is on his way to Firhill !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Seemingly the searing pace of 38yr old Chris Burke is on his way to Firhill !

Strangely not that as upset as I maybe should be about this, I watched Burke a few times last season and he still is still one of the better players in this division. 

13 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

McDonald and Miller did OK. There are 38 year olds and there are 38 year olds. If he still has the fitness, he certainly has the experience. (And he knows how to score at Firhill)

I’ve always hated him playing against us ! Always has a decent game or a good impact coming on from the bench. He’s a always a ginger, gingers have inhumane fitness levels.

25 minutes ago, laukat said:

I know he was at Raith Rovers last year but I can't remember if he was any good?

Partick Thistle eye another Rangers transfer as Ibrox youngster wanted at Firhill - Glasgow Live

Fairly sure Williamson is a lightweight central midfielder. So almost certainly be coming to Firhill

I’m quite surprised Stephen Hendrie hasn’t found a club yet, I’m assuming we let him go, and gave him a short deal because McCall had planned ahead with bringing Milne in. But I feel like he was actually one of better performers in the games he played. Especially the last ditch tackle I remember! Hope he goes down south and not to another championship team.

2 hours ago, Thistle88 said:

I’m quite surprised Stephen Hendrie hasn’t found a club yet, I’m assuming we let him go, and gave him a short deal because McCall had planned ahead with bringing Milne in. But I feel like he was actually one of better performers in the games he played. Especially the last ditch tackle I remember! Hope he goes down south and not to another championship team.

It was rumoured he was joining Queens Park recently

Last season we were fortunate to a degree to have Foster in so much as he was equally proficient playing left back as he was at right back. This season we've Muirhead providing right back cover and Holt available to cover left back. Akinola we're told can play as a right back. As Holt is a likely starter as a centreback we might just need (or want) further left sided cover. I don't think Hendrie would've been the answer. A possibility would be signing a player who could play equally well as an attacking wide right (a mirror of Tiffoney) and attack minded leftback. The lad that was on loan at Ayr perhaps? His name escapes me.

39 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Last season we were fortunate to a degree to have Foster in so much as he was equally proficient playing left back as he was at right back. This season we've Muirhead providing right back cover and Holt available to cover left back. Akinola we're told can play as a right back. As Holt is a likely starter as a centreback we might just need (or want) further left sided cover. I don't think Hendrie would've been the answer. A possibility would be signing a player who could play equally well as an attacking wide right (a mirror of Tiffoney) and attack minded leftback. The lad that was on loan at Ayr perhaps? His name escapes me.

Think maybe you are thinking of the lad James Maxwell? Ayr fans seem to rate him but not sure what his best position is. Technically speaking he’d be a good fit for us if he can play midfield and cover at left back should Milne get injured. Can’t say I’ve seen enough of him to comment personally on how good he is though.