Transfer Targets? Who we getting in and who would you fancy that’s out of contract.

Thistle88

5 hours ago, Thistle88 said:

I’m quite surprised Stephen Hendrie hasn’t found a club yet, I’m assuming we let him go, and gave him a short deal because McCall had planned ahead with bringing Milne in. But I feel like he was actually one of better performers in the games he played. Especially the last ditch tackle I remember! Hope he goes down south and not to another championship team.

I’m trying so hard not to mention the snooker

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Last season we were fortunate to a degree to have Foster in so much as he was equally proficient playing left back as he was at right back. This season we've Muirhead providing right back cover and Holt available to cover left back. Akinola we're told can play as a right back. As Holt is a likely starter as a centreback we might just need (or want) further left sided cover. I don't think Hendrie would've been the answer. A possibility would be signing a player who could play equally well as an attacking wide right (a mirror of Tiffoney) and attack minded leftback. The lad that was on loan at Ayr perhaps? His name escapes me.

Lawless has played left back !!!!!!

8 hours ago, HeWearsNumber9 said:

Think maybe you are thinking of the lad James Maxwell? Ayr fans seem to rate him but not sure what his best position is. Technically speaking he’d be a good fit for us if he can play midfield and cover at left back should Milne get injured. Can’t say I’ve seen enough of him to comment personally on how good he is though.

Aye that's the lad. On loan from sevco last season but no idea if he's been released at Ibrox.

I don't know the state of our current scouting system. Does it exist or do we rely solely on recommendations (sevco youth coaches, David Moyes etc)? A few years back we were bringing in players from a much wider area.  Being based in a big city has more pros than cons when it comes to attracting players for far afield yet that doesn't deem to be happening these days. 

In fairness to McCall he did say that he didn't want to rely on old firm loans in the long term and so far he's filled up 16 out of 21 squad places with permanent transfers.

I think we started last season we started with 3 loans (Stone, Mayo, Hastie) and finished the season with 5 (Firth, Mayo, McAllister, Alegria, Jakubiak). So if McCall signs 3 more permanent signings then we will be moving in the right direction to reduce our reliance on loans.

I actually think its a good thing that McCall taps into the Sevco squads to get players. They clearly have lots of players who live locally to us who want game time to increase their chances of a career at Ibrox or beyond. Mayo is a very good example of how it can work well. If we hadn't been able to sign players such as Barjonas, Hastie and Alegria on loan would we have been forced into a permanent transfer only to regret at leisure?

With the current dearth of strikers across Scottish Football the old firm are always going to sign up anyone decent to a long term contract and put them in their reserves/ B team until they make up their mind on them.

If I had a complaint about McCall's use of the loan system it would be that he doesn't look to tap into Celtic's squads to the same level as Ibrox. Since McCall came back I can only think of 1 player (Lee O'Connor) from Celtic. Celtic arguably now have a bigger and greater quality of players.

2 hours ago, laukat said:

In fairness to McCall he did say that he didn't want to rely on old firm loans in the long term and so far he's filled up 16 out of 21 squad places with permanent transfers.

I think we started last season we started with 3 loans (Stone, Mayo, Hastie) and finished the season with 5 (Firth, Mayo, McAllister, Alegria, Jakubiak). So if McCall signs 3 more permanent signings then we will be moving in the right direction to reduce our reliance on loans.

I actually think its a good thing that McCall taps into the Sevco squads to get players. They clearly have lots of players who live locally to us who want game time to increase their chances of a career at Ibrox or beyond. Mayo is a very good example of how it can work well. If we hadn't been able to sign players such as Barjonas, Hastie and Alegria on loan would we have been forced into a permanent transfer only to regret at leisure?

With the current dearth of strikers across Scottish Football the old firm are always going to sign up anyone decent to a long term contract and put them in their reserves/ B team until they make up their mind on them.

If I had a complaint about McCall's use of the loan system it would be that he doesn't look to tap into Celtic's squads to the same level as Ibrox. Since McCall came back I can only think of 1 player (Lee O'Connor) from Celtic. Celtic arguably now have a bigger and greater quality of players.

Slightly half-cut while posting this, but here goes: by my reckoning Mayo cost us at least 12 points in last season's Championship, by giving away penalties which were stupid.

Nice player sometimes, but did it really work out well? 

40 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Slightly half-cut while posting this, but here goes: by my reckoning Mayo cost us at least 12 points in last season's Championship, by giving away penalties which were stupid.

Where do we stop with this kind of analysis? What about the points that Brian Graham 'cost us' with his penalty misses? Or Banzo falling asleep when 'defending' the post at a corner in the 3-3 draw at Inverness? It's football and these things are part of the game.

Anyway, hands down the stupidest penalty given away of the lot was the 36 year old Foster's at New St Mirren Park in the League Cup.

As for Lewis Mayo, he was a fine addition to the squad and gave Thistle much more on the plus side of his balance sheet.

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

He got us 3 points by scoring the winner v. Accies.

51 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

At least one of those penalties was saved- the Inverness home game which finished goalless- so that cost nothing ultimately.

30 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

By my reckoning Mayo conceded 4 penalties last season. 2 were saved by Sneddon. 1 was in a 2-2 draw against Hamilton and 1 was in a 3-1 defeat to Ayr at the end of the season. So in terms of actual points lost due to Mayo its probably only 2 points.

4 penalties given away in a team that only conceded 7 is a bit more than you would like from any one individual and certainly something he will need to improve on but if we're measuring his effectiveness by direct involvement in conceding penalties then it would at least be fair to give him credit for direct involvement in goals scored.

He scored 1 goal and had an assist for 1 goal. His 1 goal was worth 3 points against Hamilton at home. His 1 assist got contributed to a 1-1 draw v Kilmarnock. So net he's directly responsible for us having 2 extra points.

Then there is the slightly less measurable effect of his general play on the team. We had our longest run of clean sheets this season. How much of that do you assign to Mayo? How many points can you assign to the quality of his general play?

On any measure points game, defensive stats or just what my eyes could see we were a better team with Mayo in it.

• Like 1

I just got told that if we want to sign Fitzpatrick we would need to pay a development fee to QOS & we’re unwilling to pay it. Not sure if it’s true but if so it’s poor considering we supposedly got £350k for him. 

I wonder how much it would be if true? I guess QOS didn’t have to pay if Norwich released him

7 minutes ago, jaggy said:

I just got told that if we want to sign Fitzpatrick we would need to pay a development fee to QOS & we’re unwilling to pay it. Not sure if it’s true but if so it’s poor considering we supposedly got £350k for him. 

I wonder how much it would be if true? I guess QOS didn’t have to pay if Norwich released him

I have read that based on the formula for compensation we would pay a maximum of £9000.

31 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Did we not refuse to pay a development fee for Ross Stewart To st Mirren and he ended up going to Ross County?

34 minutes ago, jaggy said:

I think the issue is also that Fitzpatrick was told by Allan Johnston they would not stand in his way if he wanted to move on 

Given IMC recent remarks about Murdoch MacLennan  (SPFL Chairman) a life long Celtic fan  as being "bloody useless" I doubt we will be getting any loans from  Celtic in the near future.

MacLennan has close ties to retired Celtic Chairman Peter Lawell and is also known to be very anti-Rangers. In addition to his sbove remarks I recall IMC was reported in the Celtic Club Newpaper for  being critical of something related to Celtic or someone at Celtic! Afraid  i can't recall what he is reputed to have said.  

If you are going to be critical why not be critical one of Scotland's most Senior Officials and Scotland's biggest Club. No point in aiming low!

I suspect any approach by IMC to Celtic for anything  never mind a loan would be given short shrift! 

57 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Given IMC recent remarks about Murdoch MacLennan  (SPFL Chairman) a life long Celtic fan  as being "bloody useless" I doubt we will be getting any loans from  Celtic in the near future.

MacLennan has close ties to retired Celtic Chairman Peter Lawell and is also known to be very anti-Rangers. In addition to his sbove remarks I recall IMC was reported in the Celtic Club Newpaper for  being critical of something related to Celtic or someone at Celtic! Afraid  i can't recall what he is reputed to have said.  

If you are going to be critical why not be critical one of Scotland's most Senior Officials and Scotland's biggest Club. No point in aiming low!

I suspect any approach by IMC to Celtic for anything  never mind a loan would be given short shrift!

Surely no-one in Scottish football would be so petty? :o:bag: