Transfer Targets? Who we getting in and who would you fancy that’s out of contract.

Thistle88

34 minutes ago, AlgarveJag said:

Brian Graham has extended his contract to 2024 - announced at Grieves and now confirmed on OS.

Happy to have Graham for another season. His leadership and will to win will be hard to replace on the field even if his game time is reducing.

Also think by end of season 2023/24 he may be the replacement for McCall. McCall will be 60 by then and I can't see him wanting to go much beyond that.

On 7/5/2022 at 9:31 PM, CotterJag said:

Teenage Fanclub are a great band that I've somehow managed to miss live after all these years.

Grand Prix is a brilliant album and was one of my first.

Songs from Northern Britain was fine too. I’ve seen the F*nnies two or three times live now.?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, laukat said:

Happy to have Graham for another season. His leadership and will to win will be hard to replace on the field even if his game time is reducing.

Also think by end of season 2023/24 he may be the replacement for McCall. McCall will be 60 by then and I can't see him wanting to go much beyond that.

That's what my thinking is. Graham to be next Thistle boss.

23 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

That's what my thinking is. Graham to be next Thistle boss.

Interesting; hadn't even thought about it. IF (big if), McCall managed to get us promoted, then I think there's no way he would step down, at least in the first season; these guys are just too ambitious/determined to show that they can cut it at the top.

Graham as next manager? Well, I like the big guy. Keeping the women's team in the top flight last season is definitely a laudable achievement. But the dynamics of the women's and men's games in terms of transfers etc. are quite different. I've nothing against the possibility, but wouldn't it be criticized by the usual crowd who cry that it's just "jobs for the boys at Firhill?"

On 7/5/2022 at 10:27 PM, javeajag said:

My second best Neil young gig was seeing him with crazy horse in Paris in 2001…..the support act was Oasis ! Who did not come out well in the comparison 

One of my "gig" regrets is never having seen Neil Young. Love watching him and his wild guitar solos on Youtube.

12 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Interesting; hadn't even thought about it. IF (big if), McCall managed to get us promoted, then I think there's no way he would step down, at least in the first season; these guys are just too ambitious/determined to show that they can cut it at the top.

Graham as next manager? Well, I like the big guy. Keeping the women's team in the top flight last season is definitely a laudable achievement. But the dynamics of the women's and men's games in terms of transfers etc. are quite different. I've nothing against the possibility, but wouldn't it be criticized by the usual crowd who cry that it's just "jobs for the boys at Firhill?"

The last two times we promoted from the playing staff to manager (McNamara and Archie) went well, so I don't see why not. Probably no less risky than a (realistic) so-called proven manager.

16 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

The last two times we promoted from the playing staff to manager (McNamara and Archie) went well, so I don't see why not. Probably no less risky than a (realistic) so-called proven manager.

The last thing we want is a proven manager. You know exactly what you are going to get, you know it is going to eventually end in a failure (maybe successes on the way, but ultimate failure). In the end it will be a sacking which will cost the club money. Getting a rookie manager may be a risk, but if they are successful then there is the chance of them moving on to bigger and better things and actually earning some money.

I know it is simplistic, but a bit like bringing through our own players from the academy rather than journeymen pros. 

4 hours ago, laukat said:

A little bit surprised at his contract extension given his age and how he struggled with multiple games towards the end of the season, but maybe there is something in what you speculate. Doubt he could play in the SPL if we were promoted.  My guess was the extension was perhaps to do with his running the womens team especially if he's not getting paid for that or only modestly so. 

To add: just heard IMC say the club recently received two bids for him plus Graham had covid last season. 

Edited by JAG1970

I'm not reading too much into Graham's extension. Without the extra year he would probably be vulnerable to perhaps a January move to a lower league club as a player/manager. Like others I sense there's some sort of coaching pathway on the cards. Whatever if an appearance clause is factored in, I doubt we're talking about much money here. 

He’s an important guy around the club. And if he’s fit, an asset on the pitch.

But there were times that he looked like a old cart horse.  I hope this was down to the pitch, chronic back pain, a heavy workload and zero support after Rudden left.

A refreshed Graham could have a great season as long as he’s not used and abused.

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

One of my "gig" regrets is never having seen Neil Young. Love watching him and his wild guitar solos on Youtube.

I’ve seen him quite a few times solo, with crazy horse, as part of cnsy and with other line ups ….the best was at the Brixton academy 

6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Keep on Rockin' in The Free World went on for quite some time at Glastonbury, as I recall.

I think he was trying to get a reaction but everyone loved it.

9 minutes ago, elevenone said:

I hear a rumour that someone may start Stenny match thread early.  :D

Tiff and Dowds out with injuries, Milne not available… short of numbers with only 11 outfield players by my reckoning excluding youngsters and any trialists  

46 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

I would regard Ben Stanway and James Lyon as good enough to play for the first team. They have surely gone past simply being labelled as "youngsters".

Stanway only joined in January or got promoted or whatever, don’t think they are past being youngsters but I think your right in the sense that they seem to be good enough to stick around the first team squad and try and push for places. Any idea what happened to the boy Gospil Ocholi ? He seemed like he had a chance of improving.