Transfer Targets? Who we getting in and who would you fancy that’s out of contract.

Thistle88

6 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Tiff and Dowds out with injuries, Milne not available… short of numbers with only 11 outfield players by my reckoning excluding youngsters and any trialists  

so likely to be

Sneds,

Mcmillan Muirhead Akinola Brownlie Holt

Turner   Doch   Banzo

Lawless

Graham

2 hours ago, jags on tour said:

so likely to be

Sneds,

Mcmillan Muirhead Akinola Brownlie Holt

Turner   Doch   Banzo

Lawless

Graham

I suspect a 4-3-3 with one of the 3 cbs dropping out and cammy smith and lawless either side of/in and around graham. We all know McCall loves smith and he did score against rangers the other day so expect to see him starting somewhere on the back of that. That then leaves a back up keeper with whichever centre back misses out. Accompanied by lyons, owens, Stanway and a few other young boys to fill out the bench. 

4 hours ago, HeWearsNumber9 said:

Well all that was assuming trialists aren’t allowed to play these games but I actually have no clue if they are allowed in the group stage. If so I suspect the same but with fitzy playing on one side of the 3 over either smith or lawless.

Trialists are not allowed in league cup games.

On 7/8/2022 at 12:46 AM, sandy said:

Songs from Northern Britain was fine too. I’ve seen the F*nnies two or three times live now.?

Saw them in Australia around the time of Save The Jags and I suggested they play a benefit gig and the mouthy drummer, not Brendan, gave me pelters about being a Thistle supporter. Was very happy when he got sacked a album or so later.  

Can we please sign someone young and outrageously talented soon please? 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

I’ve looked at the team pen pics on the website and only two striker pics are up. There might be another not there I’ve forgotten I don’t know. Do we not need two more, ie four in total, or are their younger strikers already on the books who’ll get their chance?

I’d say we definitely need 2 more regardless- what happens if Graham or Dowds get injured.

I was trying to see if Ocholi had been playing  much in our friendlies.  I think we had loaned him to Benburb?

25 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

I’ve looked at the team pen pics on the website and only two striker pics are up. There might be another not there I’ve forgotten I don’t know. Do we not need two more, ie four in total, or are their younger strikers already on the books who’ll get their chance?

I think we can get away with just three strikers provided we're playing with an attacking midfield. The league winning squad ten year ago had Doolan & Craig with only McGuigan as a back up striker. Of course back then we had Erskine & Lawless (earlier model) chipping in with 20 plus goals. Obviously we don't have the same quality in attack this season but provided we play with one up backed by three attack minded midfielders, we can score sufficiently. Put another way, unless our additional striker is a cracker, I don't believe the quality of striker warrants playing two upfront.  I don't really want tos see the likes of Tiffoney (especially), Lawless and what other wide player(s) we sign constantly tracking back for the sake of playing two strikers. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I think we can get away with just three strikers provided we're playing with an attacking midfield. The league winning squad ten year ago had Doolan & Craig with only McGuigan as a back up striker. Of course back then we had Erskine & Lawless (earlier model) chipping in with 20 plus goals. Obviously we don't have the same quality in attack this season but provided we play with one up backed by three attack minded midfielders, we can score sufficiently. Put another way, unless our additional striker is a cracker, I don't believe the quality of striker warrants playing two upfront.  I don't really want tos see the likes of Tiffoney (especially), Lawless and what other wide player(s) we sign constantly tracking back for the sake of playing two strikers. 

I think that Christie Elliott would also then have been regarded as a back up striker. From memory (very possibly faulty) he played the lone striker role to some effect in an early league game at Livingston. Possibly Kris Doolan was injured and maybe Steven Craig had not arrived by then. He seemed to drop out of the picture (possibly injured, or maybe it was just that Craig and Doolan in their different ways were just so good), but then re-emerged, definitely as a striker to make telling contributions to make safe the away win at Hamilton and of course unforgettably to score the winner at Airdrie.

I remember Elliot scoring on his debut as a striker against accies. I thought we’d found a gem but he was pretty useless as a striker on the whole. However, I do think he want on to have a good time with thistle and I really liked him as a full back bar that short spell where he fell apart as captain . Also giving me one of my favourite jags moments ever at Airdrie.

8 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

The manager saying today that Cole McKinnon will be joining next week then it is 2 wide players, a striker and defender. No further central midfielders as Stanway has been promoted to first team pool.

Good to see one of the academy players being promoted to the first team pool. Hopefully he gets his chance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Seemingly as a coach not as a player 

Reading the Killie website and what his role will entail I can’t see him having time really to be a player anywhere.

plus his quote about having had a chance to have a rethink about continuing as a player after saying previously he would carry on as a player makes it further unlikely I feel 

Edited by Third Lanark

37 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

We seam to be taking our time about signing Fitzpatrick or letting him go................

I understand it’s to do with queen of the south refusing to release his player registration until they get a compensation amount they have set.

I do not know the ins and outs of the legality of it but it’s clear the player himself wishes to play for Partick Thistle and the delay is with Queen of the South

Rangers youngster Tony Weston joins Thistle as Jags close in on three more signings | Glasgow Times

The Jags travel to Rugby Park tomorrow night for their second outing in the group stages of the Premier Sports Cup and Herald and Times Sport understands that the Jags expect to have completed another signing before the match gets under way.

The Championship club are pressing on with their transfer activity as McCall applies the finishing touches to his squad, and a further two new recruits are expected to have joined the Jags by the end of the week.

Thistle Weir Youth Academy graduate Aidan Fitzpatrick remains on trial at Firhill and McCall is hopeful of thrashing out compensation with previous club Queen of the South, who are entitled to a cut of the development fee.

The Jags have been heavily linked with a loan move for Rangers midfielder Cole McKinnon and speaking last week, McCall explained the areas of the squad he is looking to strengthen. The Thistle boss is after “a couple of wide players, some cover in defence and a striker”, as well as a central midfielder.