Transfer Targets? Who we getting in and who would you fancy that’s out of contract.

Thistle88

I don't think he really has. However, he has obviously developed a good business relationship with them, and in terms of the loanees we have got, it sometimes works out and sometimes doesn't. That's tends to be the way of it with all loan deals though.

Interesting quote from McCall in this article  Rangers transfer exit nears as Partick Thistle 'keen' on starlet with done deal 'very close' - Glasgow Live

McCall said: "I am pretty sure there will be another one, possibly two, in the squad for Wednesday.

"I can't really talk about them yet but one of them is close, and another is 99.9% done. That would mean we are close to where we want to be, maybe short of a striker and a defender.

"I don't think it's a secret that he (McKinnon) is one we are very keen on. That is very close."

The quote above is meant to be after Weston signed. If McKinnon is the one that's close and Fitzpatrick the one that's 99.9% done then that still means he's looking at a striker and a defender beyond those.

So does that mean we'll have 4 strikers this season? 

19 minutes ago, laukat said:

Interesting quote from McCall in this article  Rangers transfer exit nears as Partick Thistle 'keen' on starlet with done deal 'very close' - Glasgow Live

McCall said: "I am pretty sure there will be another one, possibly two, in the squad for Wednesday.

"I can't really talk about them yet but one of them is close, and another is 99.9% done. That would mean we are close to where we want to be, maybe short of a striker and a defender.

"I don't think it's a secret that he (McKinnon) is one we are very keen on. That is very close."

The quote above is meant to be after Weston signed. If McKinnon is the one that's close and Fitzpatrick the one that's 99.9% done then that still means he's looking at a striker and a defender beyond those.

So does that mean we'll have 4 strikers this season? 

We need 4 strikers- we saw how we struggled with Graham injured and Rudden away.

if we have 2 injured we would only have Westin so we clearly need backup

10 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

We need 4 strikers- we saw how we struggled with Graham injured and Rudden away.

if we have 2 injured we would only have Westin so we clearly need backup

Repeating myself (once again :)) but if McCall is going with one up top then a fourth striker isn't an absolute priority. Yes we struggled without a fourth striker last season but that was largely due to not having width (playing central midfielders out wide). We were almost forced into playing two up top in what was an unbalanced line up. Our best player, Tiffoney, was often marginalised due to that set up.  

I think there's likely to be many more goals from an attacking midfield three from Lawless, Turner, Tiffoney, Fitzpatrick(?), AN Other(?) than from a third and fourth striker.  Playing say a 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1 formation (like on Saturday) will effectively mean a fair amount of bench time for a third striker never mind s fourth. Striker No 4 could be very rusty if/when called upon. So I'd make another attacking wide type midfielder with pace much more of a priority than a fourth striker.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Repeating myself (once again :)) but if McCall is going with one up top then a fourth striker isn't an absolute priority. Yes we struggled without a fourth striker last season but that was largely due to not having width (playing central midfielders out wide). We were almost forced into playing two up top in what was an unbalanced line up. Our best player, Tiffoney, was often marginalised due to that set up.  

I think there's likely to be many more goals from an attacking midfield three from Lawless, Turner, Tiffoney, Fitzpatrick(?), AN Other(?) than from a third and fourth striker.  Playing say a 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1 formation (like on Saturday) will effectively mean a fair amount of bench time for a third striker never mind s fourth. Striker No 4 could be very rusty if/when called upon. So I'd make another attacking wide type midfielder with pace much more of a priority than a fourth striker.    

Pretty much how I see it. We don't really have wide midfielders that we can play and its hard to see how we are not going to regularly play 2 from Tiffoney, Lawless and Fitzpatrick (if he signs) so that pretty much dictates the formation will mainly be 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. 4 strikers for 1 starting spot would suggest 1 is not going to see much game time.

On the other hand if another striker is coming in perhaps it suggests Weston is striker no 4 and a cheap backup option? McCall did say he thought he could play anywhere across the front 3 so perhaps he is cheap cover at striker and as an emergency winger

23 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

He will certainly be a key player for us, if we’re to be the best we can be. And, if he’s out, it will be a huge miss. That happened last season with Graham too at the end, when we were forced, through lack of alternatives, to turn to Jakobiak and Alegria, who we knew in our hearts couldn’t cut it. 

Can see Milne bombing up the left wi g to supply Graham.

16 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Agree it looks better on paper, but a few risky ones that could go either way. I also have doubts about McCall getting the best out of them (especially with Banzo and Smith first names on the team sheet)

I am actually more positive about this season. I like his signings, a bit vanilla on Muirhead and Lawless,  but always concerned on how McCall uses them.

Fitzpatrick is the one that troubles.

McCall's comments about Aidan's need to improve his shape plus the way his career imploded following his move to Norwich suggest to me that the player hasn't adapted to do the necessary to be a serious professional. He should not have been at QoS or back at Thistle if he was applying himself to the opportunity he was handed.

And yes, I will be delighted for Aidan to ram the above down my throat in the coming months.

10 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Fitzpatrick is the one that troubles.

McCall's comments about Aidan's need to improve his shape plus the way his career imploded following his move to Norwich suggest to me that the player hasn't adapted to do the necessary to be a serious professional. He should not have been at QoS or back at Thistle if he was applying himself to the opportunity he was handed.

And yes, I will be delighted for Aidan to ram the above down my throat in the coming months.

Apparently QOS fans were saying he was their best player before his injury and losing him was an important factor in their relegation.  Hopefully he has found his form again.

6 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I am actually more positive about this season. I like his signings, a bit vanilla on Muirhead and Lawless,  but always concerned on how McCall uses them.

I think on balance I agree. Muirhead was inspired at Killie, Lawless looked powderpuff. But what concerns me is the amount of times McCall feels compelled to go back to SEVCO for more loanees.