Transfer Targets? Who we getting in and who would you fancy that’s out of contract.

Thistle88

Don't think he's a prolific goal scorer but he is most definitely a striker with decent experience and a different option to Graham or Dowds.

When you look at the amount of clubs in our league looking for a striker and the complete lack of the names getting banded about Mullen does look at the top end of what we could reasonably expect.

When you compare last season (Graham, Rudden and McIver)  with this season (Graham, Dowds, Mullen and Weston) we have definitely added depth and increased the average quality of our striker options.

• Like 3

I am delighted with the signing of Mullen personally. A few st mirren mates of mine speak very highly of him and never wanted him to leave. Top scorer in a rotten Dundee team last season as well I think is good business considering we also have graham and dowds. Not prolific as such but something different and with the way our squad is balanced this year I’m hoping we’ll be getting a lot more goals from midfield and out wide. So If graham, Mullen and dowds can notch up around 25ish between them we might be in with a good challenge.

11 minutes ago, HeWearsNumber9 said:

I am delighted with the signing of Mullen personally. A few st mirren mates of mine speak very highly of him and never wanted him to leave. Top scorer in a rotten Dundee team last season as well I think is good business considering we also have graham and dowds. Not prolific as such but something different and with the way our squad is balanced this year I’m hoping we’ll be getting a lot more goals from midfield and out wide. So If graham, Mullen and dowds can notch up around 25ish between them we might be in with a good challenge.

I think we want one of them to be near 20 on their own and the others to be 10+.

19 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I think we want one of them to be near 20 on their own and the others to be 10+.

That’s always the hope but I think I’m being realistic if we are sticking with 4-3-3. Only one will likely will be on the field at a time so I reckon it’s a realistic prediction but would obviously like to see one on 20+ or all on 10 or more but it’s probably unlikely. I saw we scored 46 goals last season but we had a lot of 1-0s and 0-0s. So I was working off the basis maybe 60ish would be a realistic target for a team challenging top spot. Maybe 30 from the strikers and 30 from the wingers, midfield and defenders.  All complete guess work of course but the squad for this season does look good on paper.

Edited by HeWearsNumber9

49 minutes ago, HeWearsNumber9 said:

That’s always the hope but I think I’m being realistic if we are sticking with 4-3-3. Only one will likely will be on the field at a time so I reckon it’s a realistic prediction but would obviously like to see one on 20+ or all on 10 or more but it’s probably unlikely. I saw we scored 46 goals last season but we had a lot of 1-0s and 0-0s. So I was working off the basis maybe 60ish would be a realistic target for a team challenging top spot. Maybe 30 from the strikers and 30 from the wingers, midfield and defenders.  All complete guess work of course but the squad for this season does look good on paper.

Best thing about our Team so far is we really can play a variety of different formations quite comfortably with the players we have. Feel like last season we couldn’t change it up enough especially if we were behind or even level and going for win.

13 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

Best thing about our Team so far is we really can play a variety of different formations quite comfortably with the players we have. Feel like last season we couldn’t change it up enough especially if we were behind or even level and going for win.

Agree completely. It is refreshing to see we have looked at our problem positions from last year and addresses the imbalanced parts the squad accordingly. Also nice to see how many players are actually ours, this must be the fewest loan players we’ve had in a season for quite some time.

• Like 1

When any Jags manager signs a striker he always mentions that said striker "offers something different". No exception here.  Mullen is a player that's escaped me over the years, so can anyone let me know what is the "something different" we'll be hopefully getting from Mullen? On the face of this looks like a decent signing.

If the manager can get the defender he is looking at in on loan before next weekend we would have the 21 players he stated he was looking to have in place for the start of the league campaign which would be the first time that has happened in a few years. In my opinion the squad looks a lot better than it did last season and hopefully that will help over the course of the season.

29 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

If the manager can get the defender he is looking at in on loan before next weekend we would have the 21 players he stated he was looking to have in place for the start of the league campaign which would be the first time that has happened in a few years. In my opinion the squad looks a lot better than it did last season and hopefully that will help over the course of the season.

Do you know who the defender was Martin?

15 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Is it the right thing to have the squad complete before the season starts ? What happens if in the first couple of weeks it is apparent that the shape isn’t quite right or we get an injury and we have already committed our funds ?

I dare say with the window open for a while and extra income maybe available for qualifying for next round we could get someone in- as apparently cup runs are never budgeted for and I think we get an extra £40,000 qualifying for the next round before we even play a team 

Sneddon 
      McMillan  Muirhead        Holt      Milne

Docherty  Mckinnon

Fitzpatrick               Turner            Tiffoney

Graham

Bench. 

Mitchell

Akinola 

Brownlie

Bannigan

Dowds

Lawless

Mullen

With Stanway and Lyon about..  that is a very good squad that McCalls built. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thistle88 said:

Sneddon 
      McMillan  Muirhead        Holt      Milne

Docherty  Mckinnon

Fitzpatrick               Turner            Tiffoney

Graham

Bench. 

Mitchell

Akinola 

Brownlie

Bannigan

Dowds

Lawless

Mullen

With Stanway and Lyon about..  that is a very good squad that McCalls built. 

Looking at this it would be good to get a defender on loan who can play full back in either side. Looking at it we are obviously going with the approach of using our centre backs as cover for full back. Holt on the left and muirhead for rb. Fingers crossed neither Milne or McMillan miss any significant amount of games as I think they will be pivotal to our play style this season.