Transfer Targets? Who we getting in and who would you fancy that’s out of contract.

Thistle88

Still no sign of this defender then before the weekend. Looking a bit light at the back just now. After having raved about how good this window has been I can’t help but feel that we are a bit top heavy looking at it. We only have 4 out and out midfielders and we mostly play with 3 in the middle. We only have 5 defenders now with it looking like aero gonna be out for a while. Fair to say we will score plenty but I also think we might concede a lot as well. Should be entertaining either way!

1 hour ago, HeWearsNumber9 said:

Still no sign of this defender then before the weekend. Looking a bit light at the back just now. After having raved about how good this window has been I can’t help but feel that we are a bit top heavy looking at it. We only have 4 out and out midfielders and we mostly play with 3 in the middle. We only have 5 defenders now with it looking like aero gonna be out for a while. Fair to say we will score plenty but I also think we might concede a lot as well. Should be entertaining either way!

The Jags seem to be cursed with important defenders getting serious injuries before the season proper even gets under way.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, HeWearsNumber9 said:

Fair to say we have the players to score plenty. Whether the style can be changed to create the chances for them is another question. We are not noted as a side that creates chances over the last few seasons.

3 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Fair to say we have the players to score plenty. Whether the style can be changed to create the chances for them is another question. We are not noted as a side that creates chances over the last few seasons.

Hoping Turner playing in his proper position as an attacking midfielder and McKinnon can maybe add a bit more spark to create through the middle with some balls into forwards feet and in behind. Something we didn’t do at all last season was ever cut teams open. I wouldn’t even be opposed to playing Lawless in turners role with fitzy and tiff wide. He has great vision and can thread a pass.I’m sure he would be a good option in there if we are playing a team who are sitting in deep at firhill that we are trying to break down.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Looks like a good addition and the type of versatile defender we need. However I don’t believe a word of it that he was the “number one target”.

DD I  think you are misquoting IMC .

He actually says Lee Hodson "was my number one target to add to the defensive ranks"!

The meaning of the full quote is a lot different from simply "number one target".

When you consider the signings of McMillan, Milne and Muirhead, Hodson was clearly  not the  number one target. I interpret IMC'S comments as LH was his number one target to provide  cover for the defensive ranks. 

Hope this makes sense

13 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

DD I  think you are misquoting IMC .

He actually says Lee Hodson "was my number one target to add to the defensive ranks"!

The meaning of the full quote is a lot different from simply "number one target".

When you consider the signings of McMillan, Milne and Muirhead, Hodson was clearly  not the  number one target. I interpret IMC'S comments as LH was his number one target to provide  cover for the defensive ranks. 

Hope this makes sense

Basically I don’t believe a word McCall ever says and however you interpret it, I don’t believe it. Maybe he was the number one target after he didn’t get all the other number one targets for whatever it was.

Dont get me wrong, Lee will probably do a good job in a number of roles and we certainly need defensive cover.

• Like 1

I thought Hodson was the one we were bringing in a week or so ago, but McCall later mentioned that he may have lost out on that particular player. None the wiser and not important. What is important is Hodson ticks a few boxes and I'd regard him as a genuine squad player. He looks similar to Foster in so much as he can play in both right and left back positions. 

6 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Basically I don’t believe a word McCall ever says and however you interpret it, I don’t believe it. Maybe he was the number one target after he didn’t get all the other number one targets for whatever it was.

Dont get me wrong, Lee will probably do a good job in a number of roles and we certainly need defensive cover.

OK  we can agree to differ on our opinion of IMC.

All that remains to be said is "welcome to Partick Thistle Lee".

40 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Is Hodson going to be more match fit than Brownlie ?

Good question. Hodson's not played for three weeks and then only as a late sub. He was on the bench last week, which suggests he's match fit. Looks like we've been taking a kid glove approach with Brownlie, so  I would imagine Hodson's the fitter of the two. That or we don't want to push Darren back too early.  

51 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Good question. Hodson's not played for three weeks and then only as a late sub. He was on the bench last week, which suggests he's match fit. Looks like we've been taking a kid glove approach with Brownlie, so  I would imagine Hodson's the fitter of the two. That or we don't want to push Darren back too early.  

So we say that Brownlie is fit, just not match fit, but we only play him for a game and 30 odd minutes in competition. For me, something doesn’t add up.

Is Tunji not back in the mix now? I appreciate that his performances tailed off in the latter part of last season, but we seem to be forgetting how good he was before that. 

There seems to me to be no reason why he could not recover that level and make himself a fixture alongside Holt (although in due course there will be a strong challenge from a returning Muirhead). I liked the way Tunji shepherded attackers away from the danger area, did not dive in, but chose his moment to put in a tackle. Not perfect, but his percentage of getting things right was pretty high.

I accept that one flaw was his distribution. Too many high aimless punts. However, that is surely something he could work on and improve.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Is Tunji not back in the mix now? I appreciate that his performances tailed off in the latter part of last season, but we seem to be forgetting how good he was before that. 

There seems to me to be no reason why he could not recover that level and make himself a fixture alongside Holt (although in due course there will be a strong challenge from a returning Muirhead). I liked the way Tunji shepherded attackers away from the danger area, did not dive in, but chose his moment to put in a tackle. Not perfect, but his percentage of getting things right was pretty high.

I accept that one flaw was his distribution. Too many high aimless punts. However, that is surely something he could work on and improve.

I saw that Tunji played at least some of the closed door game vs Ayr. Did Brownlie ?

• 4 weeks later...

I must confess that I was not expecting any business before the window shut and although loans are still an option I was not thinking we would have any coming in (maybe a youngster or two going out). Nothing might come of it but appears we have enquired about this player from St Mirren:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/joe-shaughnessy-partick-thistle-loan-27957302