Transfer Targets? Who we getting in and who would you fancy that’s out of contract.

Thistle88

10 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I dare say with the window open for a while and extra income maybe available for qualifying for next round we could get someone in- as apparently cup runs are never budgeted for and I think we get an extra £40,000 qualifying for the next round before we even play a team 

We haven’t qualified yet.

9 hours ago, Thistle88 said:

Sneddon 
      McMillan  Muirhead        Holt      Milne

Docherty  Mckinnon

Fitzpatrick               Turner            Tiffoney

Graham

Bench. 

Mitchell

Akinola 

Brownlie

Bannigan

Dowds

Lawless

Mullen

With Stanway and Lyon about..  that is a very good squad that McCalls built. 

Unfortunately, Smith and Banzo are guaranteed to start.

10 hours ago, Thistle88 said:

Sneddon 
      McMillan  Muirhead        Holt      Milne

Docherty  Mckinnon

Fitzpatrick               Turner            Tiffoney

Graham

Bench. 

Mitchell

Akinola 

Brownlie

Bannigan

Dowds

Lawless

Mullen

With Stanway and Lyon about..  that is a very good squad that McCalls built. 

You’ll have Smith & Weston gunning for you for missing them out ;)

• Haha 1

I go along with HeWearsNumber9 on this. I think we require a back up fullback who can play both flanks. Certainly be comfortable down the left. I know Holt can move over to leftback but I feel it's important to establish centreback pairings, and while we may chop and change right centreback we really want Holt to provide some sort of consistency. I realise Foster is unlikely to return but on purely footballing terms he'd still be able to provide squad cover at fullback. Most likely we'll sign a fullback on loan, and I'd be happy enough if experienced it's an old heid. But if young then I'd prefer someone with pace that can get up and down the park with ease.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I go along with HeWearsNumber9 on this. I think we require a back up fullback who can play both flanks. Certainly be comfortable down the left. I know Holt can move over to leftback but I feel it's important to establish centreback pairings, and while we may chop and change right centreback we really want Holt to provide some sort of consistency. I realise Foster is unlikely to return but on purely footballing terms he'd still be able to provide squad cover at fullback. Most likely we'll sign a fullback on loan, and I'd be happy enough if experienced it's an old heid. But if young then I'd prefer someone with pace that can get up and down the park with ease.  

How about McKinnon and Strachan in 1970-71, or Campbell and Anderson for many years in the 70s...

Do any other central defensive pairings since then come close to those?

Who was Shaggy's partner first time around?

4 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Is Stuart Bannigan so bad these days? I don’t know because I haven’t been to actual games and you need to do that it I think, to take in a particular player’s overall performance. TV shifts around a lot. Seems a bit sad, if true, considering his contribution over many years, that he seems to be being disparaged in some of the ways I’ve seen on here. Players lose their effectiveness after their ‘peak’ slowly or sometimes quickly. Is Stuart one of the former or latter? If it is indeed ‘game over’ for him with Thistle I hope that his ‘end’ is dealt with much more sensitively and lot more fairly than what happened to two of our other ‘greats’, ie Chris Erskine and Kris Doolan. The way they were treated by Caldwell and by definition (by the club) was an absolute disgrace. I felt an apology should have been made to them, (publicly) after GC thankfully departed PTFC. The Chair could have done it, because she seemed to associate herself particularly with Caldwell’s appointment. Putting them in the H of F was right but that would surely have happened anyway. Their ‘treatment’ prior to leaving Firhill was a separate issue and that shaming action was never publicly assuaged.

I've seen enough of Bannigan to think he is by no means finished yet. And bear in mind the mess of the pitch and lack of balance in the team last year. No-one should be a guaranteed starter though - hopefully the extra competition will give him the motivation he needs.

16 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

How about McKinnon and Strachan in 1970-71, or Campbell and Anderson for many years in the 70s...

Do any other central defensive pairings since then come close to those?

Who was Shaggy's partner first time around?

Shaggy mostly played latterly in a back three flanked by Craigan and Derek Whyte.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jaggernaut said:

OK, I'll look upon Craigan and Paterson as an excellent central defensive partnership. 

As for the other other individual mentioned ....

Sorry just edited my post to add the word "latterly" but yes the Craigan/Paterson partnership was indeed sound. I thought Whyte was decent enough and in any case Lambie was fairly adamant we needed to play with a back three to survive in the top flight.

5 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Is Stuart Bannigan so bad these days? I don’t know because I haven’t been to actual games and you need to do that it I think, to take in a particular player’s overall performance. TV shifts around a lot. Seems a bit sad, if true, considering his contribution over many years, that he seems to be being disparaged in some of the ways I’ve seen on here. Players lose their effectiveness after their ‘peak’ slowly or sometimes quickly. Is Stuart one of the former or latter? If it is indeed ‘game over’ for him with Thistle I hope that his ‘end’ is dealt with much more sensitively and lot more fairly than what happened to two of our other ‘greats’, ie Chris Erskine and Kris Doolan. The way they were treated by Caldwell and by definition (by the club) was an absolute disgrace. I felt an apology should have been made to them, (publicly) after GC thankfully departed PTFC. The Chair could have done it, because she seemed to associate herself particularly with Caldwell’s appointment. Putting them in the H of F was right but that would surely have happened anyway. Their ‘treatment’ prior to leaving Firhill was a separate issue and that shaming action was never publicly assuaged.

I think the pitch really killed banzo’s game in the second half of last season as he likes to spray the ball around. I don’t think he’s done by any means but I do believe that we don’t need him and docherty in the midfield together in most games as they are somewhat similar. I think when he plays well he can dictate the pace of a game but my gripe with Bannigan has always been his lack of wanting to play forward/ killer passes in recent years. I think he slows the game at times by going sideways, would love to see him try balls in behind and down the channels more often as he  definitely has the range of passing to do it. 

Edited by HeWearsNumber9

4 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

An experienced defender already playing for in the League Cup? Must be a fee involved.

Loan deal, so I assume minimal money.

One of expressions that still ring alarm bells from the days when The Bunnet would announce a signing of a defender with the subtitle "He can play anywhere across the back". That really meant he wasn't good enough to play in any single position in the defence. So I'm a bit wary still when I read the word "versatile". As said earlier I'd settle for a left back that can play at right back if required. One that can get up and down the pitch.

4 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

One of expressions that still ring alarm bells from the days when The Bunnet would announce a signing of a defender with the subtitle "He can play anywhere across the back". That really meant he wasn't good enough to play in any single position in the defence. So I'm a bit wary still when I read the word "versatile". As said earlier I'd settle for a left back that can play at right back if required. One that can get up and down the pitch.

Guys on P and B reckon it's Lee Hodson of Kilmarnock. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Although McMillan seems to one of those types of players too. Maybe.

McCall let’s Ocholi go on loan while we accumulate more SEVCO loanees. An academy product who has trained & played at first team level. 

That’s ridiculous. What’s the point of having the academy if they don’t pull on Red & Yellow? 

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Guys on P and B reckon it's Lee Hodson of Kilmarnock. 

It makes sense going off  McCalls description, it does seem like an odd move in his part though as he is likely only ever going to play in the absence of McMillan or Milne to suspension or injury. Seems like a bad move on his part to go back down to a league he just won on loan to be cover as back up. Guess he believes in his own ability to take a place which is good to have. If it even is him at all of course.

19 hours ago, sandy said:

McCall let’s Ocholi go on loan while we accumulate more SEVCO loanees. An academy product who has trained & played at first team level. 

That’s ridiculous. What’s the point of having the academy if they don’t pull on Red & Yellow? 

He was at Benburb last year and is going to the Lowland League this year. It’s a process. He might be good enough, he might not. Not every player from the academy is going to be good enough. We have 3 or 4 in our squad this season from the academy.

22 hours ago, sandy said:

The two sevcovians we've got on loan both played in the Lowland League last season. Weston scored a barrowload of goals and McKinnon was voted his team's player of the season. So at least we're getting two of the better sevco loanees. All Ocholi has to do is make a name for himself playing in the same division as Weston & McKinnon did. In this specific instance only if he's then successful does your argument start to kick in. 

As I see it most managers tend to have short term vision. Or more correctly they prioritise week to week results ahead of the longer term development of their team. In practice that means the marginalisation of younger prospects. So to play their short game, yet maintain any semblance of youth development, loaning out youngsters to clubs down the pecking order is the norm. Adequate game time is so important to players in their late teens/early twenties. There's no reserve leagues these days to compound the matter, so effective loan placements are basically the only way to go. Whether right or wrong no manager is going to risk league points playing inexperienced players.

Btw we started three players yesterday that came thru our youth ranks.