Transfer Targets? Who we getting in and who would you fancy that’s out of contract.

Thistle88

8 minutes ago, Albert's Ghost said:

That's what wiki says.  I always thought he was one of our kids.

My comment was rather misleading. I was just meaning three of yesterday's starters had played youth football for us. Banzo & Fitzy came thru the ranks. Brownlie was a later arrival if I mind, more like Jack Hendry. 

Good to see the goals and assists spread through out the team. Some really nice goals yesterday. Was happy to see  Mulllen get a debut goal but I feel Dowds should have scored at least one from his chances in the last two games. Hopefully he can get off the mark as he reaches match fitness.

I have liked the look of Turner in midfield. Bannigan and Docherty will be useful in some games such as the season opener I feel.

At the back I really like the look of McMillan and Milne. Both got forward to good effect yesterday. Jack in the first half and Harry in the second.

Fitzpatrick gets better with each game imo and Lawless had a good game when he came on.

As touched on the big question mark is over who will be in certain and defence and the custodian behind them. 

I think I would go Mitchell, Muirhead and Holt but I think Holt is the only certain starter when it comes to Ian McCall's selection.

Edited by jagfox

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Hmm. I don't know. I think he sold the second Montrose goal.

Harsh GRE - he was entitled to expect more immediate support from his defenders on that one.

In saying that, I haven't watched any of the game back, so you may have spotted something I missed in the moment.

3 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Harsh GRE - he was entitled to expect more immediate support from his defenders on that one.

In saying that, I haven't watched any of the game back, so you may have spotted something I missed in the moment.

Not harsh at all. IMO he could have at least pushed it around the post, but chose to push the ball outwards and it hit Kyle Turner, hence a sloppy goal to lose. Goalies fault.

Just now, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Not harsh at all. IMO he could have at least pushed it around the post, but chose to push the ball outwards and it hit Kyle Turner, hence a sloppy goal to lose. Goalies fault.

OK - haven't watched the highlights and was going on what I saw from the further end of the JHS.

Given the season he had last year and the recovery from some early mistakes, it would be unjust not to start Sneddon.  Almost one clean sheet in two is an excellent record.

The good thing is that, unlike last year, he will be pushed all of the way and we can have reasonable confidence in our backup goalie. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 12:11 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

The two sevcovians we've got on loan both played in the Lowland League last season. Weston scored a barrowload of goals and McKinnon was voted his team's player of the season. So at least we're getting two of the better sevco loanees. All Ocholi has to do is make a name for himself playing in the same division as Weston & McKinnon did. In this specific instance only if he's then successful does your argument start to kick in. 

As I see it most managers tend to have short term vision. Or more correctly they prioritise week to week results ahead of the longer term development of their team. In practice that means the marginalisation of younger prospects. So to play their short game, yet maintain any semblance of youth development, loaning out youngsters to clubs down the pecking order is the norm. Adequate game time is so important to players in their late teens/early twenties. There's no reserve leagues these days to compound the matter, so effective loan placements are basically the only way to go. Whether right or wrong no manager is going to risk league points playing inexperienced players.

Btw we started three players yesterday that came thru our youth ranks. 

Apologies for quoting myself but I see the Reserve League is in fact resuming this season. Thistle are not taking part, whilst the likes of Ayr, Accies, Dundee & Queens Pk are participating. I wonder what's our rationale behind not putting out a reserve side. Our squad has depth to it and if we manage to put out a settled starting XI we'll have a good few quality players bench warming or not even making the match squad. A reserve side may also have given our younger lads who don't go out on loan some valuable match practice. 

There's no doubt a counter argument why we've not entered the Reserve League but I can't figure it out. 

The ugly sisters plus the Jam Tarts are naturally absent. 

The 10 teams participating in the league will be Ayr, Dundee, Dundee United, Hamilton, Hibernian, Kilmarnock, Livingston, Motherwell, Queen of the South and Queen's Park.

4 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Apologies for quoting myself but I see the Reserve League is in fact resuming this season. Thistle are not taking part, whilst the likes of Ayr, Accies, Dundee & Queens Pk are participating. I wonder what's our rationale behind not putting out a reserve side. Our squad has depth to it and if we manage to put out a settled starting XI we'll have a good few quality players bench warming or not even making the match squad. A reserve side may also have given our younger lads who don't go out on loan some valuable match practice. 

There's no doubt a counter argument why we've not entered the Reserve League but I can't figure it out. 

Might be to do with where home games get played. Do we want to have those extra games on the new Firhill surface and if not there would be the cost of renting another venue.

39 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Funnily enough there is a reserve team fixtures section on the PTFC website. Nothing in it though. 

7 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

What I have never understood is why first teamers would not play in a reserve game? For example on a Saturday we have a starting XI & subs.  Those subs and others who did not make it would surely improve their match fitness by playing 90 mins competitive action.

and also risk getting injured in a meaningless game that they probably don't get appearance money for playing.

5 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Hold on here. Is there a suspicion that squad players who don't make the first team are dictating that they don't want to play in any kind of reserve team?

If so, their erse should be out the door, pronto.

Just as likely the clubs don't want them injured in meaningless games given most carry a 1st team squad of around 20. The squad players can get a run out in the challenge and league cups.