Playoff Travesty

topcat

Can ony say that Abroath not having a chance to play off against St Johnstone without all these playoffs is a complete travesty.  This whole 3rd and 4th place having a chance to move leagues just puts me right off football. What a shambles this all is. We never deserved a chance.  You should go up on football merit only.

In the game I watched, Arbroath didn't take advantage of their pressure during the game, didn't take advantage against 10, 9 and then 10 and 9 men again for about fifty minutes of play, and were the only team to miss a penalty in the shoot-out.

Where exactly was the travesty?

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 1

Collum was woeful.  Do feel a tad for Arbroath, pipped late in late and do not concede in play offs. Looking at next season I think St Johnstone armed with their parachute payment would be more of worry in league than ICT.  Also coming up think Queens Park would be more competitive than Airdrie.

As there was little other football on I watched both legs of the Arbroath play offs. 210 minutes of the most dire football . Pub league standard. It really does show up the truly dire standard of football in this country.  Not one player you could say had any real level of skill or ability. Truly depressing 

1 hour ago, Kingleo said:

As there was little other football on I watched both legs of the Arbroath play offs. 210 minutes of the most dire football . Pub league standard. It really does show up the truly dire standard of football in this country.  Not one player you could say had any real level of skill or ability. Truly depressing 

Yes was truly dreadful….. and both of them are better than us which is even more depressing!!!

For me the big problem is the size of the leagues. 10 team leagues make the current play-off system silly. If memory serves we won two more games than we lost and still could have been promoted which doesn't make a great deal of sense. 

Think it works well in England with the bigger divisions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muscat Jag said:

For me the big problem is the size of the leagues. 10 team leagues make the current play-off system silly. If memory serves we won two more games than we lost and still could have been promoted which doesn't make a great deal of sense. 

Think it works well in England with the bigger divisions. 

Most notoriously, Brechin went up to the Championship from 4th having lost more games than they won and with a negative goal difference (-6). Not that it did them any good

2 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Who should we be hoping DOESN’T win the play-offs and is in the second tier next season: St Johnstone or ICT, (or doesn’t it really matter)?

On one hand a change of scenery (if we can call St Johnstone’s ground that) would be nice however they would be coming down with parachute payment along with Dundee so league would be stronger.  So I would stick with ICT in league as they will prob have harder work to do next season to make top 4 with us.

I’d prefer ICT to remain in the Championship. But that’s more cos I think the Saintees have done a brilliant job holding their own in the top tier.  They are a club with a decent family following too. 

Edited by sandy

St Johnstone are really bad this year. Have gone off a cliff after their miraculous last season. Most Saints fans I have spoken to want rid of Davidson despite winning a cup double last season. 

Understandably the board are behind him. Could be a change if they go down or struggle next season.

On that last point I will go for a Saint's relegation and hopefully they do an Archie and keep Davidson even though his time is probably up despite (recent) past successes.

I don't think there will be beautiful football on display but should be some drama at least.

If ICT go up they would be the first Championship team promoted from 3rd or 4th place in the Premiership playoffs. They have had a couple of good performances on us and can certainly beat The Johnnies, even over two legs.

Play-off system in Scotland, Championship to SPL is corrupt. It is designed to , as far as possible, keep the SPL team in the SPL.

I much prefer the 2 semi-final followed by a final system. This is much fairer all round.

The fact that one of the teams finishing 3rd and 4th in the Championship face the prospect of playing  6 games in a short period is a nonsense and does nothing to underpin football integrity.

All it does is protect an SPL team which probably doesn't deserve to be/remain in the SPL.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

That’s what made it even more galling when Livingstone prevailed against Thistle, winning both legs. But, yes, this should be changed.

Simple answer would be to make them one off games. Highest placed team gas home advantage.  Problem with that is the team coming through the championship play off won't be knackered enough for the Premiership team's liking.