Trivia

a f kincaid

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Ok. Sadly no one got this one.

Answer. Goalkeeper Willie Adams, despite playing in the European Cup for Hibernian only ever played that ONE senior game in his entire career. He thus never played a single senior domestic game. His one game was in goals for Hibernian in a 1955 European Cup match. Here's a comprehensive account of his career as a senior footballer...https://fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=6115

How this came about. It's 1955. Hibs won their away leg to Rot-Weiss Essen 4-0. Hibs knowing the tie was effectively won decided not to go to the expense of bringing their regular keeper, Tommy Younger,  back from West Germany where he was doing his National Service. Hibs back up goalie also became unavailable, so they signed Willie Adams from East Lothian club Ormiston Primrose. Hibs drew the return leg 1-1 and progressed in the competition. 

Willie Adams never played another game for Hibs or apparently anyone else and left the club at the end of that season.

Edited by Jaggernaut

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

On Saturday 20 March, 1976, a player in one of the two teams, did something very unusual in an English First Division match, and something he would prefer to forget! a) Who was the player? b) What did he do?

Easy one. Chris Nichol scored all 4 goals in Villa’s 2-2 draw with Leicester

On 5/24/2022 at 2:17 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Ok. Sadly no one got this one.

Answer. Goalkeeper Willie Adams, despite playing in the European Cup for Hibernian only ever played that ONE senior game in his entire career. He thus never played a single senior domestic game. His one game was in goals for Hibernian in a 1955 European Cup match. Here's a comprehensive account of his career as a senior footballer...https://fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=6115

How this came about. It's 1955. Hibs won their away leg to Rot-Weiss Essen 4-0. Hibs knowing the tie was effectively won decided not to go to the expense of bringing their regular keeper, Tommy Younger,  back from West Germany where he was doing his National Service. Hibs back up goalie also became unavailable, so they signed Willie Adams from East Lothian club Ormiston Primrose. Hibs drew the return leg 1-1 and progressed in the competition. 

Willie Adams never played another game for Hibs or apparently anyone else and left the club at the end of that season.

Legend!

17 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Which player, who was playing for a British club at the time, is the ONLY player to be sent off at a World Cup Finals ON HIS BIRTHDAY!

(Not the kind of card he would have been happy to receive on that day!)

Gianfranco Zola of Italy against Nigeria in the USA tournament.  Sent off for a second caution.

Tongue in cheek one here..

We possibly all suspect that any south of the border commentator is obliged to mention "1966" in any international commentary regardless of who is playing. An often rather tenuous link is required to carry this out. So what link did the Wales v Ukraine commentary chappie use to achieve a "1966" mention around the 47th minute of yesterday's game?

35 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Tongue in cheek one here..

We possibly all suspect that any south of the border commentator is obliged to mention "1966" in any international commentary regardless of who is playing. An often rather tenuous link is required to carry this out. So what link did the Wales v Ukraine commentary chappie use to achieve a "1966" mention around the 47th minute of yesterday's game?

Something to do with the last A Ramsey to be at a World Cup perchance ?

9 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Did ‘Alf’ have some Scottish anscestors? With his surname you’d think maybe so. Certainly another A Ramsey (Allan Ramsey) is a famous Scottish portrait painter, whose work can be seen in Kelvingrove Art Galleries  and Museums.  ‘Sir’ Alf was born in Dagenham like Jimmy Greaves. but they both had very different accents. But, apparently the ex-England coach either took elocution lessons or listened to records with ‘posh’ people speaking! Incidentally, I think I am right in thinking England are the only side so far, to win the WC wearing red jerseys. I wondered if that could have been mentioned yesterday!

My big pal Tam Ramsay at school was born and raised in the Drum, and he had a f*cker of an accent. I was also Drum- born and -raised, but I could never understand what big Tam was saying, except that he like Neil Young.......

Continue.....

54 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

My big pal Tam Ramsay at school was born and raised in the Drum, and he had a f*cker of an accent. I was also Drum- born and -raised, but I could never understand what big Tam was saying, except that he like Neil Young.......

Continue.....

Did he have red hair, aged about 60 now?

36 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Which player is the ONLY player to have scored a hat trick in ….the Premier League, all three divisions of the EFL, the League Cup, the FA cup and for his country at international level?

Ted McDougall?

Eta Sorry that's pre premier league. Vardy? Roy Race?

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

43 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Which player is the ONLY player to have scored a hat trick in ….the Premier League, all three divisions of the EFL, the League Cup, the FA cup and for his country at international level?

Think this one was done earlier. I certainly saw it recently. Rob Earnshaw.