Sign in to follow this  
denismcquadeno.eleven

PET ‘HATES’ IN FOOTBALL

Corners which all of a sudden can be taken so long as the ball is touching rather than inside the box at the corner flag !?

Stadium clocks that stop at 90 mins ….is it beyond us to add the injury time so we can see how long has been played ?

7 minutes ago, sick in the basin said:

Corners which all of a sudden can be taken so long as the ball is touching rather than inside the box at the corner flag !?

I've always thought the ball doesn't have to even touch the corner box as long as it's overhanging the perimeter????

Being told by the media that the bigot brothers doing well in Europe is great for Scottish football. So the 2 richest teams by far getting even richer.  Celtic will get at least £40million next season in Europe. Next to none of that will be seen by other Scottish teams, great for Scottish football.

31 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I've always thought the ball doesn't have to even touch the corner box as long as it's overhanging the perimeter????

That is indeed the case. Technically the ball must be within the quadrant. However, overhanging the line edge (i.e., just about “touching “ if looked at from above) is within the quadrant. It’s precisely the same logic as the ball still being within the field of play until it fully crosses the goal line or touch line

1 hour ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

That is indeed the case. Technically the ball must be within the quadrant. However, overhanging the line edge (i.e., just about “touching “ if looked at from above) is within the quadrant. It’s precisely the same logic as the ball still being within the field of play until it fully crosses the goal line or touch line

But many fans, players & officials  don’t realise that. The ball can roll outside the touchline and still need in play but most  asst. refs will flag it out

2 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Yeah absolutely right - it just seems odd (maybe just me ?) that in the season just ended it’s been a lot more pronounced than before .

Another one is the “he felt contact therefore was entitled to go down “ …..eh naw !?!

Players pretending to be injured.

Fortunately at our level they are mostly honest pros and I don’t think McCall wears it.   Although Docherty needs to be less precious.

Zanatta! What a pathetic excuse for a footballer.

On 5/22/2022 at 2:38 PM, Aliballibee said:

In no particular order:

• Diving / simulation
  • The diminishing ability to make a decent tackle without a foul being awarded
  • Players flashing imaginary "cards" to get someone booked / sent off

Ditto ditto ditto

also goalkeepers falling on the ball where entirely unnecessary 

Also!

I’d like to change….

Keepers being allowed to switch sides for bye kicks.

Taking the ball to the corner. (New law required here for not attempting to score/attack) . Or simply ‘ungentlemanly conduct’.

Reinstating ‘obstruction’ law. Was it ever withdrawn?

10 yards penalty for dissent.(perhaps not for a penalty though).

Foul throw for stealing yards.

No subs after 90 minutes unless extra time.

Cup final replays.

Standing areas (reinstating the Firhill enclosure)

And lots more but I still love our game…….

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Also!

I’d like to change….

Keepers being allowed to switch sides for bye kicks.

Taking the ball to the corner. (New law required here for not attempting to score/attack) . Or simply ‘ungentlemanly conduct’.

Reinstating ‘obstruction’ law. Was it ever withdrawn?

10 yards penalty for dissent.(perhaps not for a penalty though).

Foul throw for stealing yards.

No subs after 90 minutes unless extra time.

Cup final replays.

Standing areas (reinstating the Firhill enclosure)

And lots more but I still love our game…….

Good list, that.

As with Weebaw1, reintroducing cup final replays.  Settling major competitions by penalties should be the last resort*.  When there's a tie in golf you don't see the joint winners heading to the putting green to decide who wins huge events like the Masters or the The Open etc. The counter argument being penalty shoot outs make for good TV. There's many a thing you could change in football to make better TV but all at the expense of the integrity of the game itself. The truth is more like TV companies dictate to the relevant football association instead  of the other way round. 

* with the one exception when a German side is playing either of two teams with whom we share the city.

Michael Stewart saying  "should of" all the time.

VAR, and the whole concept of believing that a better decision can be made in slow motion, when that's not the speed it happened at. 

VAR, and football people's inability to recognise that the immediate outpouring of emotion when a goal is scored is an essential element of football.

When commentators make reference to a player's lovely smile, only ever female or non-white or both.

Players taking their shirts off to celebrate a goal, and revealing one of these weird bra things that they're suddenly all wearing. (Talking male this time)

Suggestion that a player has to be booked if they've fallen over and a foul isn't given, like it's impossible to fall over while playing football.

BBC Scotland graphics in their sportscene montages.

The modern contrived staging of trophy presentations, gathering everyone round for the photo, and going woooaaaahhhh, before the captain lifts it.

The notion that if a Brazilian player does something you'll be talking about it for months.

Working class Scottish football pundits on radio saying "ever so" (meaning very) like they've just stepped out of an Enid Blyton novel.

Edited by allyo
  • Like 3

On 5/22/2022 at 9:09 AM, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

This has absolutely nothing to do with your neighbour’s pooch named ‘Jinky’ or ‘Coisty’! It’s about those things in football that annoy, irritate or just seem plain silly.

One of mine is football jerseys where the team has added a star or stars to their badge! Back in the days, winners of the Italian league-the Scudetto-were allowed to put a star above their badge, when the club had won ten league titles-Juventus, AC & Inter Milan. World Cup winners Brazil did this for winning one world cup. But then, not that long ago other teams started doing it, out of the blue.  England put on their star as did Germany many years after winning their respective World Cups. Aberdeen have two-one for winning the European Cup Winners Cup and another for ….winning …whatever! Rangers, after many, many, many years, suddenly decided they were copying the Italians and displayed five stars for 50 titles. Similarly, Celtic, a long time after Lisbon 1967, put one on theirs for winning the European cup. (Rangers didn’t put one on their strip for winning the 1972 European Cup Winners Cup! I wonder why!) Bradford City in 2011 decided to put one on their shirts for having won the FA Cup (100 years previously) in 1911! Other teams have included stars too. FC Halifax Town, (the new incarnation of the old club) have FIVE stars on their re-jigged badge! Why? For winning something ? No! It’s just because they wanted to! Thank goodness Thistle have opted NOT to do this for 1921 or/and 1971, I say!

What are the things that annoy you in football?

I have to admit….FIVE European trophies ….with FOUR different clubs….Jose Mourhino….should be allowed to wear multi-starred pyjamas!

Edited by denismcquadeno.eleven

57 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

I have to admit….FIVE European trophies ….with FOUR different clubs….Jose Mourhino….should be allowed to wear multi-starred pyjamas!

Jose also a man who knows a player when he sees one. Quickly got rid off wasters like Mo Salah and Kevin de Bruyne at Chelsea.

• Haha 1

re football pet hates - loads of the ones listed and more, but i'll add teams wearing change/away tops for no obvious colour clash reasons or teams having change strips that are no more than a colour jersey with the club badge. I am a great believer in identity. Thistle usually do quite well here as the 2nd strip often reflects the red, yellow & black (I forgive the 2 pink & grey ones ) or the historic navy blue

When I earn enough to buy FIFA, a rule will be passed that referees issue an immediate yellow card to players turning up on the field of play with silly haircuts. There's no reason for the revolting lack of taste of their hairdresser pals to spoil the spectacle for hundreds, thousands or even millions of spectators. Weird colours, bleached hair, strange tangles, buns,...a yellow card would soon see a stop to those monstrosities. (It's only fair to allow Jamaican players, though, to wear dreadlocks - nobody else. :D) Another advantage of this new rule would be no recurrence of the manbra visions once they'd had their first card, as they'd know they'd be off for an early bath.

Other pet hates? The directors that think has-been players from another era that have dropped in this week, the manager picking his nose or that girl with the excessive mammaries is worth concentrating on while play is ongoing. Two such incidents in a game, and the commercial contract should be up for sale again, with no compensation to the original purchaser of broadcast rights.

2 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Somebody sitting in your seat despite it having season ticket holder sticker on it ….aaaaaarrrrrggggh .

I don't really mind this, I usually thank them for warming it up before sending them on their way! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thornwood Jag said:

My pet hate is the Firhill scoreboard. It just looks utterly cheap and pathetic.

It usually says 0-0 so we don’t really need one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2