Sign in to follow this  
denismcquadeno.eleven

PET ‘HATES’ IN FOOTBALL

2 hours ago, sandy said:

It usually says 0-0 so we don’t really need one. 

It doesn't actually say 0-0. The two 0s congeal together to form a figure of eight like a google sign on its side.

26 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

It doesn't actually say 0-0. The two 0s congeal together to form a figure of eight like a google sign on its side.

From here to Infinity

1 minute ago, sandy said:

From here to Infinity

Or Two Fat Ladies (at the Bingo!).

Oops... that would be one fat lady (somewhere.....).

Edited by Jaggernaut

One thing I detest, and besides it's probably false economy, is the price of kiddies replica strips. In my way of thinking give a youngster a Jags top and he/she is far more likely to remain a Jags fan. Once you've worn the top you're less likely to change allegiance. Instead of ripping off parents, aunts & uncles charge something nearing a normal price you'd sell far more kiddies tops and increase sales of adult tops further down the line. Put another way ask most kids what they'd like for their birthday, a shirt or £30's worth of toys/computer games etc, I guess I know what the answer will more like be. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

57 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

I hate how competitions, cups of much long dignified standing can be given names like eg the ‘Premier Sports cup’ (Scottish League Cup).

But it's a bit like when a pub changes name. Locals will still refer to the premises by its original/established name.

On the subject tho' of name-sponsored football competitions I've noticed for sometime that Radio Scotland commentators in particular go out of their way to mention current sponsors even when it's a fair mouthful. Being it's the BBC I not only see the irony but note a sea change in policy from previous decades. In a a previous life I was involved in PR/sponsorship (mostly sports orientated). Getting a product plug on the BBC was held to be a major achievement. Perhaps I should've been more "generous"? :)

The clown in the JHS who buys 50/50 tickets, and then when his numbers do not come up rips them into tiny pieces and throws them in the air, thinking he is funny.

Some poor person has to clean up after him.

3 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

I hate how competitions, cups of much long dignified standing can be given names like eg the ‘Premier Sports cup’ (Scottish League Cup). In Scotland/England names like the Tunnock’s, the Ramsdens, the Milk Cup, the Littlewoods cup, the Barclay’s League, Ladbrokes, Capital One Cup  etc etc come…and ….go. The game has been littered with them in the UK. Whilst these trophies are sponsored, the clubs/the media  have to diligently (remember to ) always refer to them by the new temporary name.  I am sure many of the fans don’t! At one time eg Milk Cup (League Cup) in England saw, a separate ‘Milk Cup’ presented to the winning captain alongside the English League Cup. Two trophies, with which to run round the pitch, have photos taken holding etc!! Wonder which they valued most? Think this happened in Scotland with the Scottish League Cup-Skol?!!.  Now the sponsor just pays to purloin a particular trophy or league competition’s name as well as advertising elsewhere. The clubs want the cash of course, the sponsors want the advertising, but doesn’t it just demean the name of the competition, more than a bit? I have to confess I have been waiting….for the promotion of eggs to happen at some time in the future….!

1946-1978…..Scottish League Cup (when we won it! Hurray-good time to lift it!)

1979-81………..Bell’s League Cup

1984-92………..Skol Cup

1994-98………..Coca-Cola Cup

1999-2008……CIS Insurance Cup

2008-11………..Co-operative Insurance Cup

2011-13………..Scottish Communities League Cup

2015……………..The Scottish League Cup presented by QTS (Semi Finals and Final)

2015-16………. The Scottish League Cup presented by Utilita 

2016-21…………Betfred Cup

2021-22…………Premier Sports Cup

Next……………….?????

Too true.

It actually devalues everything, at least in my eyes, and so probably for some other people. At any rate, I don't see how it can increase the value of the competition, especially if it's going to be called something different next year.

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

But it's a bit like when a pub changes name. Locals will still refer to the premises by its original/established name.

On the subject tho' of name-sponsored football competitions I've noticed for sometime that Radio Scotland commentators in particular go out of their way to mention current sponsors even when it's a fair mouthful. Being it's the BBC I not only see the irony but note a sea change in policy from previous decades. In a a previous life I was involved in PR/sponsorship (mostly sports orientated). Getting a product plug on the BBC was held to be a major achievement. Perhaps I should've been more "generous"? :)

That's a good point.

The BBC is a toxic and devious organization. That includes the "regions."

They tell us that they rely totally on the licence fee (as well as the government handouts), but in fact their website (at least from abroad) is actually bogged down by adverts, from companies, organizations, and even countries that are high on the "dubious" list of the so-called UK government itself, playing out before you can read any story or watch any video report.

Why do none of the mainstream expose this fact? (Of course, that's a kind of rhetorical question.)

Britain: corrupt and class-ridden to the core. Always has been, always will be, until (unless) people want to change it. Maybe in Scotland (and maybe NI?) there's more of a realization about that.

Don't give up hope.

Edited by Jaggernaut

45 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

You’re sitting in your seat, watching the match, there’s a quick forward movement of passing, it’s getting exciting and then……you’re aware of someone (or two+) to the left/right of you who wants to get past ….for whatever reason! (Is it a pie they’re after? a packet of crisps? a  peanut chocolate bar?) Whatever…they’re coming back …in the opposite direction….shortly….and will be walking past you again!! And, the goalmouth action is peaking!

(Are these people taking the p——?)

For a while there I thought you were describing the referee and linesmen.

Obviously I am well "off the pace" with this thread but being old fashioned I couldn't resist adding the following comment.

My pet hates in addition to many of the above include phrases like:

- get something early doors (a favourite line of former Dundee managers - Scott and Hartley)

- wide areas (previously right or keft wing; pundit Michsel Stewart likes to use this - a lot))

- x player brings domething different to the team/role ( recently used by Brien Graham and others; can't we just say what x player brings; eg, height, pace, strength, hardness etc)

- thought we should have taken something from the game (you can only take a point or 3 points)

- knows where the goal is (we all know where the goal is and there are two of them)

- the use of the word 'moment'  as in the context of 'an important moment in the game' (regularly used by foreign managers in the English Premiership but now being picked up by new (ish) younger managers in Scotland, eg the  ex-Dundee Utd Coach  Tam Courts and the ex-Hearts Coach Ian Cathro)

There are other phrases but this is all I can recall at the moment.

9 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

"We should have got a result."

The one I hate (Derek Johnstone is one of the worst offenders) is ‘set their stall out’!!! Wtf, is it a jumble sale or something?

Also a few English commentators use the phrase ‘he just about’ when actually he did do something eg ‘the goalie just about got his fingers to that ball’ when he actually saved it. To me ‘just about’ means he never 

43 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Obviously I am well "off the pace" with this thread but being old fashioned I couldn't resist adding the following comment.

My pet hates in addition to many of the above include phrases like:

- get something early doors (a favourite line of former Dundee managers - Scott and Hartley)

- wide areas (previously right or keft wing; pundit Michsel Stewart likes to use this - a lot))

- x player brings domething different to the team/role ( recently used by Brien Graham and others; can't we just say what x player brings; eg, height, pace, strength, hardness etc)

- thought we should have taken something from the game (you can only take a point or 3 points)

- knows where the goal is (we all know where the goal is and there are two of them)

- the use of the word 'moment'  as in the context of 'an important moment in the game' (regularly used by foreign managers in the English Premiership but now being picked up by new (ish) younger managers in Scotland, eg the  ex-Dundee Utd Coach  Tam Courts and the ex-Hearts Coach Ian Cathro)

Even worse than "wide areas" is "an area", eg "he put the ball into an area". What is that supposed to mean?

"Running the channels" is another one, not to mention "they play in a certain way".

"He has got them well-organised" is the standard put down for a team that has no imagination or creativity".