Sign in to follow this  
denismcquadeno.eleven

THE SCOTLAND TEAM!

There will be a decent crowd v Armenia. I bought tickets a few weeks ago to take my granddaughters to their first Scotland game (my first in 25 years!) Tickets available even then were quite limited

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jaggy said:

There will be a decent crowd v Armenia. I bought tickets a few weeks ago to take my granddaughters to their first Scotland game (my first in 25 years!) Tickets available even then were quite limited

Well, that’s a good thing.

I see Scotland Under-21 coach, Scott Gemmell has called on Scottish clubs, to give more opportunities (presumably in the first team) to young Scottish players. This, after yet another failure in WC qualification. The reality is though, that the best club teams over recent years, have given less and less thought about doing this, concentrating on their OWN objectives and interests. The ‘gruesome twosome’ have always been more concerned about who sits atop their own ‘league of two.’ But, now they have the added incentive of deploying their wealth to buy foreign players,  for a few £million and sell them on for many more £million. (If they can!) There might be the odd ‘Callum McGregor’ or ‘Nathan Paterson’ but the bulk of their first team squads these days remain non-Scots. It’s hard to see that changing any time soon. But there could be a slight change if eg it became a rule that two/three under 21 players must be amongst every list of subs. (This list is long enough these days, after all-which suits the bigger teams!) But, then, would they get on the park?

3 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

I see Scotland Under-21 coach, Scott Gemmell has called on Scottish clubs, to give more opportunities (presumably in the first team) to young Scottish players. This, after yet another failure in WC qualification. The reality is though, that the best club teams over recent years, have given less and less thought about doing this, concentrating on their OWN objectives and interests. The ‘gruesome twosome’ have always been more concerned about who sits atop their own ‘league of two.’ But, now they have the added incentive of deploying their wealth to buy foreign players,  for a few £million and sell them on for many more £million. (If they can!) There might be the odd ‘Callum McGregor’ or ‘Nathan Paterson’ but the bulk of their first team squads these days remain non-Scots. It’s hard to see that changing any time soon. But there could be a slight change if eg it became a rule that two/three under 21 players must be amongst every list of subs. (This list is long enough these days, after all-which suits the bigger teams!) But, then, would they get on the park?

Actually, I'd rather see a Scotland team made up of players from several different clubs rather than 9 or 10 of them who ply their "trade" in Govan or the east end of Glasgow. So if the gruesome twosome's habit of filling up with foreigners means that the Scotland manager has to cast his net wider, it doesn't bother me...... except when we get players born in and playing in the lower leagues of another country being preferred to home-grown Scots who are just as good (or just as mediocre). 

• Like 2

Having a quota of u21 players on the bench just means they will sit there all season, better they go out on loan and get competitive game time. I'm afraid Gemmill is p1ssing in the wind if he thinks clubs will do anything other than serve their own narrow interests.

4 hours ago, fifexile said:

Having a quota of u21 players on the bench just means they will sit there all season, better they go out on loan and get competitive game time. I'm afraid Gemmill is p1ssing in the wind if he thinks clubs will do anything other than serve their own narrow interests.

In that case, things will stay much as they are now, with Scotland only able to have top quality players in a few positions and the others filled by ‘make weights’. Eg there’s no way a player like Grant Hanley would have been considered for the Scottish international squad, never mind an actual eleven back in the day-60s, 70s, 80s. And, if you look at Lyndon Dykes and Che Adams and compare them to eg Alan Gilzean, Denis Law, Joe Jordan, Ally McCoist, Kenny Dalglish or even Stevie Chalmers, Willie Wallace, Mo Johnston or Charlie Nicholas-you can see how the standard of ‘what it takes to get a Scottish international cap’ has been lowered. We still have the like of Tierney, Robertson, Gilmour but, in the past, some really very good players struggled to get an international cap or many of them. Nowadays, some competent but not spectacularly great players have lots of Scottish caps. And, if anyone’s even half decent, he’s being pushed by the media for a cap.

16 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

In that case, things will stay much as they are now, with Scotland only able to have top quality players in a few positions and the others filled by ‘make weights’. Eg there’s no way a player like Grant Hanley would have been considered for the Scottish international squad, never mind an actual eleven back in the day-60s, 70s, 80s. And, if you look at Lyndon Dykes and Che Adams and compare them to eg Alan Gilzean, Denis Law, Joe Jordan, Ally McCoist, Kenny Dalglish or even Stevie Chalmers, Willie Wallace, Mo Johnston or Charlie Nicholas-you can see how the standard of ‘what it takes to get a Scottish international cap’ has been lowered. We still have the like of Tierney, Robertson, Gilmour but, in the past, some really very good players struggled to get an international cap or many of them. Nowadays, some competent but not spectacularly great players have lots of Scottish caps. And, if anyone’s even half decent, he’s being pushed by the media for a cap.

And that includes several Thistle players.

16 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

And that includes several Thistle players.

Yes, you’re right. But, of course, in the past if they played for Rangers (and to a lesser extent Celtic) their chances were much higher. 

On 6/2/2022 at 4:39 PM, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Was at game.  Very disappointing performance by players and manager.  Callum Macgregor and Craig Gordon only pass marks.  From Denmark game to that.  Baffling.

I though McGregor was terrible!  5 yards off everything in the first half and was running about doing nothing?  Every time Ukraine had the ball he was just being them and chasing shadows, might have been the formation as he was trying (.at least) but that epitomised everything that was wrong with Scotland on Wednesday.

Edited by sb1876

51 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Result:

Armenia 1 v Ireland  0

Described as a ‘shock’ result on the BBC, it needs to be taken account of by Scotland’ s management and players.

Cliche alert. This indicates that Armenia are no mugs.

14 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Cliche alert. This indicates that Armenia are no mugs.

On a slightly different topic (which could be titled-‘That Ship Has Sailed!’) I’ll be watching the Wales v Ukraine match tonight and possibly thinking of what might have been. Hope it’s a good match and the better team wins. A few goals would be great. But, please, a win in normal, added or extra time, not a penalty kick competition! (Have to admit, I like Wales and it’s a lovely place to visit, both the north and south-love the accents!)

3 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

On a slightly different topic (which could be titled-‘That Ship Has Sailed!’) I’ll be watching the Wales v Ukraine match tonight and possibly thinking of what might have been. Hope it’s a good match and the better team wins. A few goals would be great. But, please, a win in normal, added or extra time, not a penalty kick competition! (Have to admit, I like Wales and it’s a lovely place to visit, both the north and south-love the accents!)

The Welsh. Wishy washy brexiteers!

Wales 1 v Ukraine 0 WC Final Play Off Qualifier.

In an exciting closely contested match in Cardiff, Wales won through to their first WC qualification for 64 years. After a number of near misses, who could begrudge them this achievement? The match was never over until the finale whistle with both sides having chances, though Wales perhaps had the better ones. They certainly had the winning goal, from that free kick predator, Gareth Bale, their talisman, which was ultimately deflected by a Ukrainian into his own net. The atmosphere at this match was first class, with the usual chorus of songs including anthems from the red fans. Ukraine did themselves proud in both games v Scotland and here, but ultimately lost out. Respect to them, for their bravery, sporting contribution and effort in difficult circumstances. To Wales-Well Done! I hope they give England a game they’ll remember, when the two sides meet up in the finals and good luck to them!

Edited by denismcquadeno.eleven

Scotland v Armenia coming shortly. Will Steve Clarke ‘experiment’  in any way? Will he stick with what he has used most in terms of players, formation and tactics? Can Scotland be motivated after a long hard, season for many of the players? What would amount to a ‘success ‘ in this match?

29 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Scotland v Armenia coming shortly. Will Steve Clarke ‘experiment’  in any way? Will he stick with what he has used most in terms of players, formation and tactics? Can Scotland be motivated after a long hard, season for many of the players? What would amount to a ‘success ‘ in this match?

Without Tierney I don't think there's any need to play three at the back so I would guess he'll line up the way he did for the 2nd half v Ukraine. At this time of the season his selection will be more to do with fitness, which may lead unintentionally to change in personnel.

I couldn’t have pinpointed Armenia on the map, just thinking it’s ‘somewhere’ in the East. But, looking at a map, it’s a land-locked country, surrounded by neighbours, Azerbaijan, Turkey, Republic of Georgia and Iran. (And, Russia is not too far away.) A tiny bit of Armenia seems to be within Azerbaijan’s borders. Not the away trip many would like to be making at the present time-going there!

Armenia & Azerbaijan are still at war over the disputed region. There’s also an autonomous region of Azerbaijan  to the west of Armenia. I’ve been there and the planes aren’t allowed to fly over Armenia to get there even though it’s the shortest route.

when Arsenal played in the Europa League final in Baku one of their players who was Armenian wasn’t able to play. I can’t remember the circumstances whether he wasn’t allowed entry or if he decided against going. 

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

Armenia & Azerbaijan are still at war over the disputed region. There’s also an autonomous region of Azerbaijan  to the west of Armenia. I’ve been there and the planes aren’t allowed to fly over Armenia to get there even though it’s the shortest route.

when Arsenal played in the Europa League final in Baku one of their players who was Armenian wasn’t able to play. I can’t remember the circumstances whether he wasn’t allowed entry or if he decided against going. 

Thanks for the info.

I’d go for this selection in this match, with a few changes -in 4,4,2 formation.

1 Gordon

2 O’Donnell

5 Hendry

6 Souttar

3 Robertson

4 McGinn

7 McTominey

8 McGregor

10 Turnbull

9 Adams

11 Christie

Keep the usual formation but make changes.  Below is as close as possible to team v Denmark where we were superb.

Gordon 

Souttar Hendry Cooper 

O'Donnell McGregor Gilmour Robertson 

McGinn Christie

Adams

On 6/6/2022 at 4:02 PM, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Keep the usual formation but make changes.  Below is as close as possible to team v Denmark where we were superb.

Gordon 

Souttar Hendry Cooper 

O'Donnell McGregor Gilmour Robertson 

McGinn Christie

Adams

Good luck to Scotland tonight and well done to all those Scotland fans who are actually going to Hampden. After last Wednesday, they would have had plenty of reason to feel less than inclined to do so! Just proves they’re a great bunch of  supporters who have always had to endure more ‘thin’ than ‘thick.!

With the current emergency timetable on Scotfail there's even more reason to leave early!

More seriously I hope we  get a performance more like those we have seen recently under Clarke. Plenty endeavor and a bit of skill and hopefully 3 points. For those making the journey to Hampden safe travels. 

Edited by fifexile

1 hour ago, fifexile said:

With the current emergency timetable on Scotfail there's even more reason to leave early!

Rightfully the lack of rail transport for tonight's game is getting flagged. However being unable to get back from a midweek match in Scotland is so common it's hardly worth remarking on. Scot Rail may be the villains tonight but the SPFL & SFA have for years been guilty, re matters of returning public transport, of not giving a **** about football supporters.