Sign in to follow this  
denismcquadeno.eleven

THE SCOTLAND TEAM!

Scotland 2 v Armenia 0

Scotland got off to a winning start, taking a two goal lead in the first half and holding that score to the final whistle.Ukraine beat Ireland, who lost their second game  in succession. As well as Scotland, and Ukraine, Armenia also have three points with Ireland at the bottom of the table on zero points. 

My first Scotland game at Hampden for over 30 years. It was quite enjoyable. We could (should) have scored 4 or 5. They offered nothing and seemed content not to lose any more goals in the 2nd half. It will be a bit tougher over there next week I think

Sat. 11 June KO 5pm

Ireland v Scotland (Nations)

This should be a cracking game to watch, with the Irish desperate to get their first points on the board (and at home) after two defeats and Scotland needing another win before they face Ukraine. The Scots’ side looked a bit experimental v Armenia but did well. This one may be more on the ‘usual lines.’ We’ll see. Wish these Scotland games were free-to-view for all those able to get BBC Scottish channels. If you’re an England fan, they’re are no probs. like this.

1 hour ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Wish these Scotland games were free-to-view for all those able to get BBC Scottish channels. If you’re an England fan, they’re are no probs. like this.

In a perverse way I'm rather glad the games aren't on council telly. Not that I really need it but an excuse to stay longer in the pub. :) 

FS:  Ireland 3 v Scotland 0 (Nations)

At half time, (Scotland down 0-2) Tom English BBC radio, said, “Scotland are woeful. John McGinn, name sung  by the fans before the start,  giving the ball away, I’d sub him. Grant Hanley struggling and lost.” Start of 2nd half: The manager subs Jack Hendry, leaves Hanley on the field! But, in second half Hanley redeemed himself, partially, by clearing what would have been a goal, off the line. But, overall….what a debacle! Final comments from commentator/ Willie Miller  “Scotland were SO poor…outplayed in every dept. …worse than they were versus Ukraine! Scotland can take nothing positive out of this performance!”

Edited by denismcquadeno.eleven

I turned it off!

The Ukraine game was disappointing - given the importance and we were at home.

This game was worse - no fight/no plan - nothing to take positives from (even Gordon was poor!)

52 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Time for a new national coach.

Steve Clarke’s tactics are absolutely astounding, after getting overrun in midfield , you would have thought it would have been changed to a back 4 at halftime but we revert to the same system .

Slightly biased opinion but what a raw deal SOD’s is getting just now , not even on the bench again tonight.

Playing well against the mighty Armenia doesn’t justify the hype for Tony Ralston who was out of position so many times tonight , similarly Aaron Hickey against Ukraine looked totally out his depth.

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Time for a new national coach.

Well, it was a rubbish result. I watched the game tonight on TV in Inverness. Only pass marks for me were Robertson who looked like he cared. 

I think Clarke is the best coach we can get & afford. I like his approach. The question for me would be who else ? 

5 hours ago, sandy said:

Well, it was a rubbish result. I watched the game tonight on TV in Inverness. Only pass marks for me were Robertson who looked like he cared. 

I think Clarke is the best coach we can get & afford. I like his approach. The question for me would be who else ? 

Not a Scottish coach. Clarke may be a good club anger, but internationally he is out of his depth.

• Like 1

On a topic disconnected from the Scottish men’s international football team  (now) but closely connected to football, there has been much media discussion over recent years about the fact the 2022 World Cup is taking place in Qatar. Most people know the back ground and formed an opinion on it some time ago. The country has many illiberal laws and many questioned why it was chosen at the same time Russia was also selected to host the last (2018) World Cup. There was also the crucial question over holding a summer sporting competition in a country where summer temperatures border on the excruciatingly hot for everybody and certainly would where humans are asked to compete in the open air. Rather than abandoning this venue, FIFA decided to do something very different to what has happened previously and simply move the timing of the month-long competition from summer to winter. Yet, in doing this it never solved the matter of huge numbers of supporters going to a country with draconian laws. And, crucially it DID NOT help or stop those people involved being in danger in the construction of stadia needed for matches to be played. 

Many reports have been filed  of people being badly injured or killed during this construction process. Not only that but the way these workers have been treated, in terms of working hours and conditions has been well documented. It is truly shocking and would never be accepted or tolerated in this part of the world. Recently, the press and wider media have highlighted how workers are currently being pushed even harder so that these projects will be completed on time in temperatures of 41 degrees. How many more fatalities will there be so that a football competition can be staged in a few months’ time? Some are now saying the competition should be postponed, suspended or cancelled altogether. .

I myself admit I didn’t watch any of the live games in the 2018 WC in Russia. As a strong supporter of Amnesty International and human rights,  I could not simply ignore the abuses going on in that country. I saw snippets of games, featured on the news. The recent war in Ukraine confirmed to all exactly the sort  of regime in power in Russia. And, I have always been uneasy about Qatar from the moment Sepp Blatter, a man under investigation for criminality, revealed it had been chosen as the 2022 host. I now believe like some others, this competition should be postponed, until an alternative host can be found. It could then be held eg next summer. It should NOT be held in Qatar later this year. To stop the injuries and deaths that carry on unrelentingly, this action is needed now.

• Like 1

Just thoughts but our strength appears to be our midfield both in relative quality and depth. No need for Robertson to be a wingback when he comfortably runs the length of the pitch. I assume Patterson even O'Donnell can do likewise down the right. So can do away with a centreback and play five in midfield. McTominay could possibly give way to Tierney when fit but either are capable of dropping into defence when required. Also emphasis on the one upfront unless he's a prolific goal scorer (unlikely) should be on his ability to hold the ball and play others in.  

On 6/12/2022 at 6:19 AM, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Not a Scottish coach. Clarke may be a good club anger, but internationally he is out of his depth.

Totally agree - more and more it looks like he has reached the end of his particular road. However we struggled to come up with a name who might replace him?

We managed to find a bar in Ibiza to let us watch and the only bright moment was our South American waiter, who thought our away strip looked liked Argentina :D

I have maybe lost what the significance of the Nations League is. I know it got us a playoff spot for the Euros last time round, but wasn’t it meant to replace friendlies. Are there more ranking points associated with these games than friendlies. Shouldn’t the main focus for qualifying for the Euros be the Euro Qualification groups ?

14 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I have maybe lost what the significance of the Nations League is. I know it got us a playoff spot for the Euros last time round, but wasn’t it meant to replace friendlies. Are there more ranking points associated with these games than friendlies. Shouldn’t the main focus for qualifying for the Euros be the Euro Qualification groups ?

Don’t the winners receive some sort of higher seeding?

Tonight Armenia v Scotland (Nations) 5pm KO

If you’re a Scotland player, you might conceivably  (secretly maybe) be breathing a sigh of relief that this run of international matches is about to come to an end. It’s been a l-o-n-g season and I’m sure most of them will welcome an overdue break! But, before ‘demob’, they have the task of beating the Armenians in their own backyard. After losing to Ireland, and with the two tricky Ukraine ties to come (plus Ireland at home), three points here is just about as close to a mandatory demand as it can get, but….we all know Scotland’s history in games against the ‘so-called’ ‘minnows’ of World football! (A bit like Thistle)  sometimes the boys in navy blue end up having to do it the ‘hard way.’ Steve Clarke has the pressure on him right now and he simply has to get the team formation and personnel right for this 90 minutes +.  I think Scotland will do it……but …….what do I know?!!

Guessing it'll be exceptionally hot tonight and Armenia may adopt a sort of rope dope tactic. We could just run out of steam. Being able to use extra subs will help but I feel we might have to score early.

Armenia 1 v Scotland 4

Lucky Scotland! Toiling in the first half with one pundit saying the back three looked “as if they’d never played in defence before” …One very sporting Armenian decided to commit hari-kari and improve things for the Scots! In the penultimate minute of that first half he was first booked.. then immediately decided to seek out John McGinn for a bit of ‘head wrestling’…and was promptly red-carded! Scotland gratefully moved straight into attack mode and scored a second to make the score 1-2! (Armenia had been in the lead at one stage!) In the second half, the Scots, preferring the odds, took full advantage and fairly quickly moved into a four goals to one lead which they held till the end of the match. (But, not before yet another Armenian was given his marching orders!) Thus, Scotland got the three points they surely needed and the Armenian who got the first crucial early bath…well….there have been no reports but, hopefully retribution will not be too severe on the ‘generous’ fellow!

Ireland got an excellent point in a draw away (in Poland) to Ukraine, which leaves the group as follows:

1st Ukraine PLYD 3   PTS 7

2nd Scotlnd PLYD 3  PTS 6

3rd Ireland  PLYD 4 PTS  4

4th Armnia PLYD 4 PTS  3

Ian Maxwell has made a statement, acknowledging the disappointment in Scotland losing out to Ukraine in the WC and to Ireland but saying we need to be ‘balanced’ in our assessment of overall performance. He also says the target for Steve Clarke was/is to turn Scotland  “ from a pot four competing nation to a pot two competing nation.”

12 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Ian Maxwell has made a statement, acknowledging the disappointment in Scotland losing out to Ukraine in the WC 

I honestly didn't think we were that desperate.  

8 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Ian Maxwell has made a statement, acknowledging the disappointment in Scotland losing out to Ukraine in the WC and to Ireland but saying we need to be ‘balanced’ in our assessment of overall performance. He also says the target for Steve Clarke was/is to turn Scotland  “ from a pot four competing nation to a pot two competing nation.”

Says everything about our , so called, guardians of the game in Scotland. No ambition except to do everything for the two filthy Glasgow scumbags.

I’d give Steve Clarke the chance to take us to the Euros (end of campaign) before even considering someone new. After that….?? We should’ve done better in the Ireland match. Not so sure about Ukraine…possibly! We’ve got a handful of ‘shoe-in’ s but the rest vary. And, we’ve got a few who are good…but in the same position! Is playing one of them out of position a good idea?