Red Lichties

Jaggernaut

I enjoyed watching Arbroath's performances throughout all of last season, and ended up hoping that they'd get promoted especially if we didn't.

They were definitely a versatile and attack-minded team, and I had to keep reminding myself that their manager was Dick Campbell.**

Question: Was last season a flash in the pan, or could they be right up there again, in the top two or three all the way?

PS: In 1970-71, when we were fighting for the 1st Division Championship against the mighty East Fife (trailing them right up until the last couple of matches), Arbroath were consistently chasing down our necks all the while, in third place. Their results against other teams did us a few favours.

**ETA: In case anyone isn't in the know, DC is a Fifer miner's son frae Fife, who managed to create Thistle teams and performances of the worst kind known to mankind.

Cue the feminists. 

Edited by Jaggernaut

It’s a hard one. They’ve had 3 or 4 years of improvement and last year there was no expectation on them. I think this coming season there will be a bit more expectation, or at least, no surprise element. It depends on how they deal with that expectation. Personally, I think, that was their peak. Might make playoffs again, but won’t challenge for the title.

On 5/29/2022 at 4:59 PM, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

If Arbroath can keep those players, they have a chance of mounting a decent promotion push again but the question is ‘If’. Haven’t seen anything about anyone after one of their ‘stars’ but there’s plenty of time for that to happen. Only thing is, maybe their part-timers prefer to be and stay just that. Yes, I hoped the Red Lichties would go up. And, Dick Campbell, with his quirky personality is refreshing.  Is his brother his twin? Certainly looks his double!

There is certainly a "cringeworthy" side to DC in his interviews, but I can't stop myself from liking his character and most of what he says. I'm sure some folk also cringed at the great Lambie's offerings to the media.

I think they're twins, but maybe not identical.

47 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'm going to St Luke's for a concert in the coming weeks. I hope to God I get the right night.http://www.stlukesglasgow.com/events/an-evening-with-dick-campbell/

The Bunnet is actually incredibly funny. Provided you don’t mind him ripping the Jags to bits and his humour that leans in favour of the Blue side of the city. 

I remember during "Save the Jags" going to some function or other  (a dinner) in the Aitken Suite, at which the main speaker was the arch h*n Gordon Smith. He was actually quite funny, and suitably platitudinous for the occasion, i.e., with references about Thistle getting back to the top division "where they belonged ," and almost nothing that was particularly Govan-related.

I must confess that I even "borrowed" a gag from his gig that has gone down a treat as an ice-breaker at a few talks I've given since then!

ETA: But the joke doesn't work in Japan, as I found out to my cost!

Edited by Jaggernaut

I completely get the Lambie ish comparisons and on paper Campbell should have been an ideal fit for Thistle, never quite got to the bottom of why it was such a disaster and maybe given time it could possibly have worked out?  He's always done really well at most clubs and I do agree that his approach can be refreshing.  Hope he finishes a distant 2nd behind us next year!

Edited by sb1876

9 hours ago, sb1876 said:

I completely get the Lambie ish comparisons and on paper Campbell should have been an ideal fit for Thistle, never quite got to the bottom of why it was such a disaster and maybe given time it could possibly have worked out?  He's always done really well at most clubs and I do agree that his approach can be refreshing.  Hope he finishes a distant 2nd behind us next year!

I frankly couldn't give a fig where Arbroath end up. As long as Thistle win the title. Why the love in about a club managed by a bigoted moron.

7 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Is he bigoted? I wasn’t aware of this, to be honest. My view of him has been determined by how he comes across in interviews. What’s he said/done?

He relaxes his tongue, if folk like his Gers stories…..let’s just say he starts kicking the Green half of the City. Kicking so hard the occasional sweary word about the Pope might escape his lips.

Its the ex miner in him!

Edited by sandy

I never liked Dick Campbell - I found his couthy Fife miner persona absolutely cringeworthy.  I was appalled when he was appointed Manager at Firhill...he was awful with his only "achievement" fluking promotion at Peterhead. I was pleased and relieved when he was eventually dismissed...it was long overdue.

Ross County realised they had made a mistake much sooner and sacked Campbell after 3 months when they were top of the League. In fairness, he has a good record over the years with the Angus Clubs and  Arbroath's performance last season was remarkable...but any time I heard him interviewed, he came over more like a rambling half-wit than an engaging character.

There was a tabloid story some years ago with Campbell joining in enthusiastically in a drunken rendition of the Sash with Rangers fans in a pub. One of the worst features of Scottish Culture is the Rangers/Celtic Punch & Judy Show...anyone who gets involved in that nonsense is just a Dick.

• Like 4